IT.COM

discuss Have you ever done a deal and felt crazy after knowing the buyer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Has it ever happened to you that you negotiated and sold a domain name, and later after the buyer was revealed, you thought that you left massive money on the table?

Here is a thread on the reverse of this situation where a buyer converted a $16 domain and a $500 offer to a $435,000 sale.

Have you ever felt you did a bad negotiation? What was the learning? What did you do?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not really for me because I know most of my domains are underpriced. This is why I probably sell a higher percentage of my portfolio every year than others who are looking for the highest price possible, from the best end user.
With that said though, I do have some higher priced domains that I won't sell for lower but those only make up 1-2% of my portfolio.

Edit: I just read the twitter post. That guy definitely stood his ground and got the max price for the domain. I don't even have to know the domain name and I can tell you that I would have sold for much less.

Last edited:
•••
All you can do is work with the information you have at the time.

People put too much emphasis on 1 in a million random outlier sales involving some unrepeatable set of circumstances than steady growth based on more predictable and repeatable sales.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
All you can do is work with the information you have at the time.

People put too much emphasis on 1 in a million random outlier sales involving some unrepeatable set of circumstances than steady growth based on more predictable and repeatable sales.

Brad
🏆

•••
I also turned down a $500 offer recently for a domain I had acquired for much less. I did not end up with a 400k offer or even a 200k offer.

I'm not sure I could turn away $200k on a $16 purchase or at least having that negotiated up by the agent.

If someone goes from $500 to 200k and I can't understand why, I would probably wonder if I wasn't holding something possibly worth a lot more. Seeing that FTX was trademarked in September 2021 might make me feel greedy but I would probably take the 200k to avoid entering a UDRP or having them say "screw it, let's just rebrand as something else below 5k and save 195k."

•••
Not really for me because I know most of my domains are underpriced. This is why I probably sell a higher percentage of my portfolio every year than others who are looking for the highest price possible, from the best end user.
With that said though, I do have some higher priced domains that I won't sell for lower but those only make up 1-2% of my portfolio.

Edit: I just read the twitter post. That guy definitely stood his ground and got the max price for the domain. I don't even have to know the domain name and I can tell you that I would have sold for much less.
Same for me! I think $2k max for me!

I also turned down a $500 offer recently for a domain I had acquired for much less. I did not end up with a 400k offer or even a 200k offer.

I'm not sure I could turn away $200k on a $16 purchase or at least having that negotiated up by the agent.

If someone goes from $500 to 200k and I can't understand why, I would probably wonder if I wasn't holding something possibly worth a lot more. Seeing that FTX was trademarked in September 2021 might make me feel greedy but I would probably take the 200k to avoid entering a UDRP or having them say "screw it, let's just rebrand as something else below 5k and save 195k."
Exactly! Plus we don't know the background of the seller, how liquid is their portfolio in general, what other sources of income do they have, is $250k a big amount for them, or are they okay losing out on the same and so on.
I wouldn't have done it either. I'd have taken the deal!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back