IT.COM

Has anyone had the same problem in NameCheap?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kai W.

CollectorTop Member
Impact
I encountered something very interesting today when I transferred my name to NameCheap, the keywords of the name were restricted from transferring. When I tried to contact customer service, the answer I got was that
Namecheap responsibly tries to prevent abusive domain transfers and reduce Internet fraud. Our work includes partnering with global authorities to identify and prevent the most current abuse patterns. Based on this work, transfers of domains that contain certain keywords cannot be automatically submitted through our website.
It's an interesting thing, has anyone ever encountered this?
屏幕截图(4).png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I haven’t seen that before. I am not a fan of a registrar censoring free speech, including domains. I would be very interested in knowing what the restricted phrase was.

I suppose I could see them wanting to manually approve transfers in certain cases, if it really is preventing fraud. When you contacted them, did they still refuse to put the transfer through?

Last edited:
•••
I not understand one thing.
How can you work with a registrar that charges allot more than other Registrars available on the market?

•••
I haven’t seen that before. I am not a fan of a registrar censoring free speech, including domains. I would be very interested in knowing what the restricted phrase was.

I suppose I could see them wanting to manually approve transfers in certain cases, if it really is preventing fraud. When you contacted them, did they still refuse to put the transfer through?
The purpose of my transfer was to lower the renewal fee (maybe this is their definition of abusive transfer scope, I don't know) to where I thought my keywords were good in terms of infringement and possible fraudulent use: Qubit and Hub. Customer service said they could not provide a whitelist and I ended up having to try to move to another registrar.

•••
I encountered something very interesting today when I transferred my name to NameCheap, the keywords of the name were restricted from transferring. When I tried to contact customer service, the answer I got was that
Namecheap responsibly tries to prevent abusive domain transfers and reduce Internet fraud. Our work includes partnering with global authorities to identify and prevent the most current abuse patterns. Based on this work, transfers of domains that contain certain keywords cannot be automatically submitted through our website.
It's an interesting thing, has anyone ever encountered this?
Yes, I have encountered similar thing once.
But, don't remember the keyword (domain name) that caused the issue.
Simply, I ended up using another registrar.

•••
This happened to me too recently with a totally harmless domain that's registered at Godaddy. It wasn't possible to transfer it. I really like Namecheap as a registrar so it was weird to encounter such a thing.

•••
I not understand one thing.
How can you work with a registrar that charges allot more than other Registrars available on the market?
After trying the services of many registrars, I couldn't find any reassuring and satisfying options. Dynadot will try to get sensitive data by asking you for proof of identity in various ways, Godaddy renewal prices will make you suspicious, Enom and Namebright panels will make you feel like you are living 20 years ago, namecheap .... is my plan A. At one point Dan.com claimed they were going to offer a registrar service, I was happy that it might be able to satisfy all my wishes, but in the end, it seems these monopolistic controllers don't care about the feelings of domain name holders any more than a real estate developer of a commercial home cares about your living experience

•••
This happened to me too recently with a totally harmless domain that's registered at Godaddy. It wasn't possible to transfer it. I really like Namecheap as a registrar so it was weird to encounter such a thing.
I questioned NC customer service about what transfer abuse is, but they couldn't provide internal details, only that if you want more information, please contact legal (at) namecheap. But I don't know what this has to do with LEGAL? Maybe NC means: I don't give a fuck about your pathetic name, get the hell out of my place. Yeah, that's how I feel.🤣🤣

•••
@HappyW They couldn't explain it to me either and sent me to their legal department. I just left it alone. I think they just flag certain domains that contain words that could possibly be used for fraud. Mine is a domain that could be interpreted as related to digital wallets and accessing them so I'm presuming that triggered something in their system. Anyway... I think it's isolated incidents with very specific domains and Namecheap has a lot of good things about it, so if that's the worst problem I have to deal with there, I'm OK with that. Some other registrars are much worse.

Last edited:
•••
•••
No company is perfect. If I keep seeing this happen to me at Namecheap, then it'll be annoying. For one domain so far, I feel like it's not worth thinking about it too much. I recently had to deal with NetSol and that was a trillion times worse, so it gave me good perspective on other registrars.

Last edited:
•••
Back