IT.COM

Has anyone else's EPC plummeted?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lord Antares

Top Member
Impact
This month, the same traffic from the same sources brings me a lot less RPC (on bodis).

I'm talking from $0.5 to $0.2. Some are even worse. There's one high traffic but low epc which went from like $0.09 a click to $0.01.

Some keywords get absurdly low earnings, like a "chiropractor" click gets less than $0.1, "medical care" earns similarly.

Even an attorney domain which got me up to $3 per click last month plummeted to $0.39.

What is going on? Is anyone else experiencing this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This month, the same traffic from the same sources brings me a lot less RPC (on bodis).

I'm talking from $0.5 to $0.2. Some are even worse. There's one high traffic but low epc which went from like $0.09 a click to $0.01.

Some keywords get absurdly low earnings, like a "chiropractor" click gets less than $0.1, "medical care" earns similarly.

Even an attorney domain which got me up to $3 per click last month plummeted to $0.39.
So, have you tried to change the various relevant search term settings on the underperrformers?

Last edited:
•••
Good News!
Definitely seeing an improvement in my Bodis account this week, with some epc up to about .40. Some of my domains weren't pointing to Bodis. After fixing this, and perhaps thanks to Bodis' automatic maximization process, the improvement is very significant.

•••
So, have you tried to change the various relevant search term settings on the underperrformers?

That never really did anything for me. They kept showing their own terms anyway. But it kinda optimized itself back after ~10 days. I don't know what happened during that period.

•••
That never really did anything for me. They kept showing their own terms anyway. But it kinda optimized itself back after ~10 days. I don't know what happened during that period.
That's the challenge currently, where the relevant search terms are discretionary to the upstream provider. So, the question is if there will be an automated system where the relevant search terms placed by the owner are definitive. With Bodis, one can request specifically for the manual override, but this is a bit cumbersome.

Last edited:
•••
That's the challenge currently, where the relevant search terms are discretionary to the upstream provider. So, the question is if there will be an automated system where the relevant search terms placed by the owner are definitive. With Bodis, one can request specifically for the manual override, but this is a bit cumbersome.

Curious, in what way do you think it's cumbersome?

•••
Curious, in what way do you think it's cumbersome?
Well, perhaps things have changed since I first did this, but this was my experience:
The domain name has to be placed onto a custom feed by customer support, for default terms override. At that point, the terms you put in are are locked as the default Related Search Terms.
On Bodis, their domain management interface doesn't appear to have an indicator confirming the custom feed activation (but perhaps this has changed). Customer service, however, is excellent, and was able to confirm the custom feed settings.

•••
One issue I found yesterday was that some of the domains were not resolving on Bodis. There were issues with the nameservers at my registrar. Some of the domains not resolving listed with as " ns1.nbodis.com" rather than the original "ns1.bodis.com. " Curiously, the ns2.bodis.com was intact on each. So, if your clicks and earnings are down, you may want to recheck your registrar nameserver settings.
Nothing seemed to be a problem on the Bodis interface, and I'm trying to sort out the issues with customer support between the registrar and Bodis.

Last edited:
•••
ublock origin is one of the most popular adblockers and it shows a blank white page for sedo and bodis parking pages.

•••
ublock origin is one of the most popular adblockers and it shows a blank white page for sedo and bodis parking pages.
No, this was not an adblocker issue.
At least one factor in this case was the "ns1.nbodis.com" nameserver listings that were appearing, for unclear reasons, in my registrar account. "Ns2.bodis.com" was present on all of those at issue,but for some reason the ns1 appeared to be changed to this "nbodis."
While I try to sort this out, others out there not getting hits may want to double check the nameservers going to their ad services, to make certain there isn't an "n" added or some other unusual setting in the DNS.

•••
At least one factor in this case was the "ns1.bodis.com" nameserver listings that were appearing, for unclear reasons, in my registrar account. "Ns2.bodis.com" was present on all of those at issue,but for some reason the ns1 appeared to be changed to this "nbodis."

I would guess this happened inadvertently when you entered the nameserver(s). I always double check when I cut/paste especially.

Last edited:
•••
I would guess this happened inadvertently when you entered the nameserver(s). I always double check when I cut/paste especially.
No, I don't believe that's the case.
I believe, and was surprised, that after correcting the NS, the "nBodis" later reappeared. This seemed to suggest some automated script may have been involved.
Now, at least, all the corrections do appear to be sticking. The problem was only with one registrar, and I'm still awaiting answers from customer support. And, unfortunately with that registrar there is no easy interface to check the status of all the nameservers in one's portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
No, I don't believe that's the case.
I believe, and was surprised, that after correcting the NS, the "nBodis" later reappeared. This seemed to suggest some automated script may have been involved.
Now, at least, all the corrections do appear to be sticking. The problem was only with one registrar, and I'm still awaiting answers from customer support. And, unfortunately with that registrar there is no easy interface to check the status of all the nameservers in one's portfolio.
There is no automated script, the N and B are next to each other and you obviously did it by mistake. Until the 26th of last month the nbodis wasn't even registered and now some idiot registered it. This means, if someone was doing this for some gain, they would have that domain reged. You made a mistake for ns1and it happens. There might even be a chance you can find it in the autofill in your browser.

The real issue is the ublock origin as that is not a mistake and now that it's becoming the number one recommended block people can expect to see views and offers go down significantly. Obviously domainers are not very proactive so there is no pressure on parking companies to fix this issue. Nobody really cares more than just coming here to post and off they go to lose more money. The sad reality of this bunch.

•••
There is no automated script, the N and B are next to each other and you obviously did it by mistake. Until the 26th of last month the nbodis wasn't even registered and now some idiot registered it. This means, if someone was doing this for some gain, they would have that domain reged. You made a mistake for ns1and it happens. There might even be a chance you can find it in the autofill in your browser.

The real issue is the ublock origin as that is not a mistake and now that it's becoming the number one recommended block people can expect to see views and offers go down significantly. Obviously domainers are not very proactive so there is no pressure on parking companies to fix this issue. Nobody really cares more than just coming here to post and off they go to lose more money. The sad reality of this bunch.
Thanks for the informative response. The domain name related to that nameserver is likely unrelated to anything here. It is possible that there was some technical issue, which now appears to be fixed.
As for UBlock, does this mean that the domains parked for ads and sale are now blocked from view completely to the user? If so, this probably would deal a serious blow to the industry. What realistically would the ad-parking companies be able to do about it?
You bring up a very important point here. EPC are down, and if UBlock is being extensively used, that may be a big part of the cause.

•••
Thanks for the informative response. The domain name related to that nameserver is likely unrelated to anything here. It is possible that there was some technical issue, which now appears to be fixed.
As for UBlock, does this mean that the domains parked for ads and sale are now blocked from view completely to the user? If so, this probably would deal a serious blow to the industry. What realistically would the ad-parking companies be able to do about it?
You bring up a very important point here. EPC are down, and if UBlock is being extensively used, that may be a big part of the cause.
Bodis confirmed this so please ignore all the people here that claim that ublock is no problem. Bodis and sedo pages load as blank, nothing, just white page nothing on it, no links, blank as can be. It is without a doubt hurting parking revenue and sales. I do not know technically what they can do to fix this. One thing is for sure, domainers not speaking up about it helps nobody.

•••
@AEProgram
people say that uBlock is not a problem? lol.. who can possibly say that?

Adblockers have been a problem to parking for a very long time and it only gets worse. However, I blame the ad providers for that, they should have been careful to provide quality advertisement and not all that crap that harass visitors. People wouldn't be so quick to install random addons choosing the lesser of the two evils.

•••
@AEProgram
people say that uBlock is not a problem? lol.. who can possibly say that?

Adblockers have been a problem to parking for a very long time and it only gets worse. However, I blame the ad providers for that, they should have been careful to provide quality advertisement and not all that crap that harass visitors. People wouldn't be so quick to install random addons choosing the lesser of the two evils.
I agree that many sites have gotten out of hand and without adblockers my machine would've crashed. However, parking pages by bodis and sedo load fast, they are a few text links. There has to be a way they could get unblocked.

•••
Do you think that the Ad-blockers are now the major reason that EPC and revenues in general are plummeting recently?

•••
Do you think that the Ad-blockers are now the major reason that EPC and revenues in general are plummeting recently?
No. I believe the general global turmoil is to blame. That is another conversation altogether though.

•••
No. I believe the general global turmoil is to blame. That is another conversation altogether though.
Hi

i agree.
ad blocking has been around for years and still...ppc has continued to send the checks

but i also think because goog is main feeder, then payouts are lower
when yahoo was king, epc was off the charts.

economic uncertainty can always drive down ad marketing, so it isn't just one thing that causes fluctuations.

imo...

•••
but i also think because goog is main feeder, then payouts are lower
when yahoo was king, epc was off the charts.
Please forgive the perhaps naive quiestion here, but how do you think Yahoo promoted better ad revenue, compared to Google?

•••
Please forgive the perhaps naive quiestion here, but how do you think Yahoo promoted better ad revenue, compared to Google?
Hi

you would have had to been there, when yahoo was the top search engine
also ppc was relatively new and profiteers were squeezing juice from all the trees,
economy was much different, as well as political mindsets

google, was up and coming at that time.

imo....

•••
I agree with @biggie Plus the clicks in high 3 - and low 4 figures each were much more common, now you can be happy if you have some in middle to high XX range. The same domains which made thousands each in a month at that time, would now get low XX revenue per month only.

•••
I agree with @biggie Plus the clicks in high 3 - and low 4 figures each were much more common, now you can be happy if you have some in middle to high XX range. The same domains which made thousands each in a month at that time, would now get low XX revenue per month only.
Are you saying that, in the golden years, you could actually get ad-revenue clicks that provided even over $1000.
If so, that's amazing! Out of curiousity, did you have any domains that were providing that high revenue?

•••
No, I started in 2012 with parking, but did some research of the golden times.
There was a known high CPC phrase american rugs it was the highest CPC keyword at that time. The click was worth 2K+ USD. Now I dont know, Im not sure if you could get 0.20 USD per click.

•••
No, I started in 2012 with parking, but did some research of the golden times.
There was a known high CPC phrase american rugs it was the highest CPC keyword at that time. The click was worth 2K+ USD. Now I dont know, Im not sure if you could get 0.20 USD per click.
If that's what the click was worth, one could imagine what the rugs cost on the site! :unsure:

•••
Back