IT.COM

opinion Hand Registering Domains Is Not Domain Investing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DN Playbook

Established Member
Impact
Admittedly, this may be somewhat a sensationalized title. But hand registering is only a bridge or gateway to investing in domains. This article discusses why. What are your thoughts? Looking forward to them. Here is the link to the article:

Hand Registering Domains Is Not Domain Investing

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ok Mr ultimate pro billionaire domainer

•••
true answer, when in a field or subject see what is needed and run your business from there. Domaining, thus registrars.

•••
Simply paying for a domain I the aftermarket doesn't mean it's a high quality domain... I think this whole thread is kind of funny...

Bmugford is right. You will lose money either way if you don't know what you're doing. I've seen 5 figure hand regs and people over paying for mediocre domains in the aftermarket.

To recommend a newbie to spend a chunk of his money in the aftermarket without recommending he learn about what makes a quality is just as bad advice as telling someone with no experience to reg 2k domains. It comes down to knowing what you're doing.

Last edited:
•••
The missing chromosome in this thread is the failure to realize that if no one hand regged there would be no aftermarket. When you purchase a domain, someone saw value in that domain before you did, only they're willing to sell it for a price that's low enough for you to make a profit if you're able to resell it at a higher price. Dismissing hand regging is like dismissing the very ecosystem in which we thrive. Some people make a good amount of money selling at wholesale prices and they're perfectly OK with you reselling one of their domains for 6 figures, because they're doing 1000x better than most domainers with their own wholesale business model. This is not a black and white industry you can just describe with one philosophy or strategy.

Last edited:
•••
Simply paying for a domain I the aftermarket doesn't mean it's a high quality domain... I think this whole thread is kind of funny...

Bmugford is right. You will lose money either way if you don't know what you're doing. I've seen 5 figure hand regs and people over paying for mediocre domains in the aftermarket.

To recommend a newbie to spend a chunk of his money in the aftermarket without recommending he learn about what makes a quality is just as bad advice as telling someone with no experience to reg 2k domains. It comes down to knowing what you're doing.

What is the difference between 30 hand registered names for $300 and a single $300 domain at auction? The $300 domain got multiple bids so it has value. The 30 hand reg names (especially when you're a newb) is most likely money down the drain.

The single $300 domain cost $9/year, whereas the 30 hand reg cost $300/year.

Like I said, I think you are arguing just to argue. This is all common sense.

And the funny thing is, I've sold 3 hand regs in the last year for 4 figures each. I'm not against hand registering, I just know that if you are a newb you are 99% likely going to lose money.

Last edited:
•••
•••
What is the difference between 30 hand registered names for $300 and a single $300 domain at auction? The $300 domain got multiple bids so it has value. The 30 hand reg names (especially when you're a newb) is most likely money down the drain.

So the value comes from the bids huh lol...

•••
So the value comes from the bids huh lol...

I can see why you're still hand registering names. Best of luck to you!

•••
I can see why you're still hand registering names. Best of luck to you!

Purchasing and regging and selling at wholesale prices. Probably doing similar to what you're doing only I'm. Not posting silly clickbait gimmicks on namepros...

Last edited:
•••

And the funny thing is, I've sold 3 hand regs in the last year for 4 figures each. I'm not against hand registering, I just know that if you are a newb you are 99% likely going to lose money.
If you pay $300 in an auction as a newbie, likely that name will worth $50 or less with all the bots, false bids and others.

•••

In my opinion the best bet for Newbies is to read up as much as they can and to then experiment with finding some bargains here on the forum for less than $50 that have potentials to be sold to end users or other domainers and work their way up from there to higher levels.

There might be some advantages in doing some hand registrations by Newbies to get some hands on experience, but the problem is that they don't know when to stop and are going to drawn themselves in registering hundreds of useless domains specially for those who are stubborn and think that they are a know it all from the very beginning.

So in my opinion hand registrations should not be done untill one has developed some discipline and basic skills to be able to recognize what a good domain name is.

IMO

•••
If you pay $300 in an auction as a newbie, likely that name will worth $50 or less with all the bots, false bids and others.

Better than buying 30 domains for $300 and them being worth $0.

•••
Better than buying 30 domains for $300 and them being worth $0.
At least he can learn something and with some luck to even sell something. I remember my first days as a domainer, when a namepros member with 15 years old account told me that a domain which I've handreged was worthless, only to get 2 offers for it in the next couple of months and sell it 150 times more than what I've paid for it...

Last edited:
•••
Just because a domain is listed on aftermarket doesn't mean squat in terms of value..nor do bids. Bids can be as misleading as the amount of hand-regging being done in high hopes. They are both fomo, without being well-informed or in moderation.

•••
You got attention, and started a dialogue,(y)
You are half right. The title was to get attention. To start a dialogue. That's what titles are for.

•••
Just because a domain is listed on aftermarket doesn't mean squat in terms of value..nor do bids. Bids can be as misleading as the amount of hand-regging being done in high hopes. They are both fomo, without being well-informed or in moderation.

Please explain how bids mean squat? If 10 people bid on a domain up to $300, and you win the auction at $310 then you aren't risking $300. You are only risking about $10-20 because you had 2 other bidders willing to pay nearly the $300 that you did. That is 2+ potential buyers already on the domain.

This whole discussion is about new domainers and how you are better off buying an existing domain with value versus hand registering many domains that are worth nothing. That is facts. This is common Namepros knowledge.

I challenge any of you non-believers to post your Top 10 hand registered domains. Lets see these gems.

The truth is, these people arguing have invested hundreds if not thousands on junk, and they will defend this junk to the end.

Last edited:
•••
People have become wealthy on hand registering the right domains in the early days of an industry.

You have to understand the thrust of the article. As I mentioned in the OP that the title is somewhat sensationalized purposely to get people to think and analyze their domaining strategy especially if they are losing more money than making.

It is not a blanket statement to condemn all hand reg's. But hand reg'ing alone does not make it domain investing. As someone noted, if I register rewqrweqrqerw.com and similar domains (extreme example), it does not make me a domain investor by the virtue of hand reg'ing those domains.

It becomes an investment when you see an obvious value in the domain to the point you are willing to renew it year after year and/or dedicate sufficient resources to develop it into a marketable web property.

Of course there will be hits and misses. So you can still be in the domain investing business and have reg'd duds.

Rick Schwartz, Mike Mann, Frank Schilling, Thunayan K. Al-Ghanim, and others who have gotten in the game early hand reg'd many investment grade domains. They knew they had good investments. They hung on to them for many many years. Some they developed others they sold for significant amounts, still others they hang on to this day. Spending thousands in order to keep all their domains registered each month.

Hope this clarifies the point of this OP and the article.

I assumed that www.dnplaybook was hand reg in 2017. And you developed it into website? why?

Playbook is a very common word in both the sports and business worlds, as well as elsewhere. It refers to specifically defined strategies. I wasn't sure what I would use it for when I registered it. But liked the name and thought it would be a good name for a domain blog to outline strategies, ideas, recommendations, news, general thoughts, etc. It is designed both for domainers and end-users. You can learn more about it here: About DN Playbook - DN Playbook

Last edited:
•••
Please explain how bids mean squat? If 10 people bid on a domain up to $300, and you win the auction at $310 then you aren't risking $300. You are only risking about $10-20 because you had 2 other bidders willing to pay nearly the $300 that you did. That is 2+ potential buyers already on the domain.

This whole discussion is about new domainers and how you are better off buying an existing domain with value versus hand registering many domains that are worth nothing. That is facts. This is common Namepros knowledge.

I challenge any of you non-believers to post your Top 10 hand registered domains. Lets see these gems.

The truth is, these people arguing have invested hundreds if not thousands on junk, and they will defend this junk to the end.
Bids means nothing lots of times, you, me and everybody knows auctions when nobody was biding on a domain until the last seconds, you start biding, the bots get in, a few newbies are attracted by bids and in a few minutes, the domain which was worthless reaches $300-$500, without having any real value, just check the last 100 godaddy auctions which ended under $500 and you will get my point.

•••
Gentlemen. It's called clickbait, with a statement meant to cause controversy...

Usually the people claiming that their use of controversy is meant to "make people think" are attention desperate and shameless self promoters. Given that this thread is on page 5 it's definitely working....

Last edited:
•••
Gentlemen. It's called clickbait, with a statement meant to cause controversy...

Usually the people claiming that their use of controversy is meant to "make people think" are attention desperate and shameless self promoters.

This, I believe, is an example of projection.

•••
Bids are people's max. Otherwise there would be no end. You win at $300, everyone else stopped before that. Now your stuck with a name no one wanted for $300. Just saying, a lot of it is fomo, granted not all. There's no guarantee's ever.

With hand-registration one will never know how many others wanted it because it can only be done once, no bids. It's common for a domain to be here today, gone tomorrow at a registrar. Great ideas tend to come in waves.

I think a healthy balance is fine.
If you kept up with the reporting we do on here, you might be surprised.
Yep, there's a handful that make it look bad for sure. I don't think they speak for you and I, do you? Why let that give a blanket vision.

•••
Good thread... made me think. Lucks a tough word lacking satisfaction. Lacks effort and mostly used to disqualify success. It does the quick job, but theres always more when luck shuts the door. What do you think of this theory: "The master made the most mistakes in the shortest amount of time."

•••
99% of my portfolio are hand regs.

One of which is the most valuable exact match domain category killer domain in an industry that is about to be worth Trillions overnight.

•••
^ exactly what I was talking about @enterscope this is what we take with a grain of salt. Everything is about to be something and because it's billions/trillion/quadrillions so are our domains..

Neigh neigh. We can do better than look like asses with our hand-reg's, thank you very much.

•••
I would say that a bad investor is a bad investor, regardless of hand registration or aftermarket.

A savvy investor will do fine with aftermarket and hand registered domains.

Here are a few of the hand registered domains that I've sold recently:

SmartSanitize.com $3300
ThePredictors.com $2400
Aphrodes.com $750
DontSpread.com $500
Identity8.com $900
AmericanCryptoCurrency.com $600
Airmail.us $1300
PapaSquad.com $300

Here are a few of the aftermarket domains I've sold recently:

Dwellit.com $3000
Ceres.us $1300
ABG.us $2500
Wrld.org $4000
Dojo.us $2600
Finds.us $700
Schedule.cc $900
AutoBid.net $400
Emotive.us $700

My point is that I personally really don't see much of a difference. My profit margins are typically better with hand registered domains.

I think there are plenty of crappy names in the aftermarket and plenty of crappy names available for hand registration. My job is to find the gems in both. :)

•••
Back