IT.COM

opinion Hand Registering Domains Is Not Domain Investing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DN Playbook

Established Member
Impact
Admittedly, this may be somewhat a sensationalized title. But hand registering is only a bridge or gateway to investing in domains. This article discusses why. What are your thoughts? Looking forward to them. Here is the link to the article:

Hand Registering Domains Is Not Domain Investing

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
got these 2 as well just now:

Bonerd = reggd long ago I see it free in 2020 so I got it.. Gonerd has a lot of hype also "bone" keyword not bad.

Snapfect = Snap + Perfect = Snapfect = good name for any app, also I have Picfect .com

I have names like these also and many many fancy names too:

DKUY
HOJS
PURX
DECZ
EATD
GURF
Oiir
OVAJ
NAMK
MUPT
OTTH
EAAZ
ZIYZ
FAUY
EWUR
NIYX
EPUV
EOOY
CUKX
OXUX
GIYV
RIGT
EXXP
DZAR
AiZR
JIPT
GEKX
AEKY
AxWe
LYEV
SUPC
DZRT
ARMX
FXON
TUXM

all in dawt com's :)
See another oppressed with hand registered names.

•••
There are plenty of good hand regs to be had investing may not be fast turnover and that is a thing. Some of our Indian domainers especially have made it selling all their ideas same price slowly increasing pricing.

•••
Now days hand register is not a good advice.. because i'm watching many hand register domains that i bought in 2017 or 2018 or even 2019 now going to dropcatch auctions.
Hand register model work if you buy in bulk atleast must above 1000+ domains.
Real domaining business with less stress is quality of domains.

Last edited:
•••
Now days hand register is not a good advice.. because i'm watching many hand register domains that i bought in 2017 or 2018 or even 2019 now going to dropcatch auctions.
Hand register model work if you buy in bulk atleast must above 1000+ domains.
Perhaps better advice is to buy names and convert traffic till dead.The best names are parked or hosted so must be the most desirable or will be parked forever. Never know when stumble across a winner. If two companies merged eg Sony Samsung even two surnames and some how you own those surnames eg had samsony. Winner. New technology is named after a person but they don't own domain you do etc lots of reasons keep searching own keywords for leads..

Last edited:
•••
I would think it is difficult for a newbie to nail a good hand reg as there are stats to help people shop for expired domains but don't just believe them check them as a site with links also should come from more than one site and should have many credible points not just one. I have to still sell a collection for any bragging rights but anyone can could come up with a good idea still i feel.

•••
I am selling hand reggd names at a percentage of 1.25% I am thinking to take it to 1.50% as I need 0.40% ratio to pay for the renewals on hand reggs, so I have a profit of 1.00% almost after paying the renewals on hand reggs so I am happy and it's a scaling business.

The plan is to touch 10k names means 90K a year in renewals and it can bring 250k usd a year .. simple maths.

also I have many many fancy names which are being sold very good percentage so all is cool, it's time to scale to some very good level!

•••
Please do not use this thread to promote useless hand reg's. I am talking to you @xbank. Do you really think someone will buy any of them because you post them here?

•••
Please do not use this thread to promote useless hand reg's. I am talking to you @xbank. Do you really think someone will buy any of them because you post them here?

He can talk about his perspective on a subject all he wants. Anyone can and you don’t own a thread. Its called a DISCUSSION not a LECTURE by you.

•••

Not sure why you are so mad. He is simply showing the types of names he registers and he obviously knows that are not worth much in the wholesale, so he is not promoting. This forum has a free section where he can promote his name all he wants and those sections have more eyeballs for buyers as well.

Personally I like the names he registers and those are names that sell for 1.5%-2% STR when priced at 2499-2999, and it takes years to build up the eye to grab those names..

It is easy to buy good names for 500-5000 a piece, All you need to some basic knowledge and validation by other bidders in public auctions. But how many people can buy 4 figure names when they don't have exponentially better STR

Actually domaining, at least in today's market is to be able to identify names that will sell for 2000-5000 at scale, and to pay under 30 usd. If his hand reg works for him, why not.

It has been one year of doimaining for me.
I have dropped a lot of names this month.
I made my first sale in November 2020.

And until June I sold a little over $40,000 in names

Of all the names, the most expensive name that I sold costs me 300 usd. All the other costs me under $20

SInce I was lucky to generate some cashflow, which also gave me confidence to invest some of my own money, I also bought a ton of names from auctions for 200-2000 usd. And like I said I have only one of those.

This is not to say that they are bad, but the STR is not high enough, and will be even worse if I expected same ROI as I fo get from my 20 usd names, many of which are hand reg.

•••
He can talk about his perspective on a subject all he wants. Anyone can and you don’t own a thread. Its called a DISCUSSION not a LECTURE by you.

Listing your portfolio of names without commentary is spamming. What is the point of that? This is a discussion thread as you pointed out. Not a thread to promote a bunch of bad names. And if you have a point to make, you don't need to list so many names. It just becomes shameless promotion.

Last edited:
•••
@DN Playbook

I feel pitty for you, you have not read in details, my friend I have premium names which I have not shared it here and they sell for another 50-80k a year :)

my hand reggs doing 2500 usd each and selling more than you thought :) I can see that you feel jealous hehehehheehhe .. enjoy ..

Thanks @karmaco and @blogspotter to understand it, I see fewer people encourage when they see someone is being succeded ... cheers

•••
just sold SpiceGrub for 2290 usd :) hehehhe

•••
@DN Playbook

I feel pitty for you, you have not read in details, my friend I have premium names which I have not shared it here and they sell for another 50-80k a year :)

my hand reggs doing 2500 usd each and selling more than you thought :) I can see that you feel jealous hehehehheehhe .. enjoy ..

Thanks @karmaco and @blogspotter to understand it, I see fewer people encourage when they see someone is being succeded ... cheers

Don't feel pity for me. Good for you. Congrats. Keep it up. (y)

•••
The point is not whether you hand reg or buy on the aftermarket. It is the criteria you use to do so. Obviously it is much easier to hand reg. But what is it that makes the domain, no matter how you acquired it, an investment or a liability. You can devise a system for reselling hand reg's and make it profitable. Although I have my doubts how truthful the claims of these successes are. But will those domains increase in value whether they are held by you or the buyer over multiple years. You can sell bad names and someone can buy bad names. If your sales goals are short term and you are reaching your goals, it is not to discourage you. The point is that simply hand reg'ing dozens, hundreds, or thousands of domains that does not alone make you a domain investor. This is an interesting thought exercise because although there are similarities to stocks and real estate, domains are very unique in that you are dealing with a digital asset for which you have to pay for annually to hang on to. So, if you reason that you will spend .99c on a promotion for a domain and if it doesn't sell you will drop it, that could hardly be considered investing. IMO. This does not mean to imply that you are not engaging in other domain acquisitions that are investments.

Last edited:
•••
The majority of people just do not understand and I see many bad or even worst names domainers are doing .. I wanted to ask them will they themselves paying a good price for such a name which they are hand reggdn ... the answer is NO.

BUT

at the same time some hand reggs are super cool and just they are reggd with small companies and they are dropped without making much noise and sometimes you get a chance and many times you can acquire those names, of course, many many fancy names are gone, but I have sold names hand reggd which won sEDO premium name by doing hand regg as it has a history and all, so it's all about the eye you have.

Saying 100% hand reg names are bad and not considered investment is not true, at the same time, yes, 90% doing it wrong without doing their homework and the trend and all.

•••
•••
@DN Playbook

@xbank is one example at one end of the spectrum - doing regs, but at least following certain guidelines and doing certain research beforehand. It's a viable model if you know what you're doing, although the STR ratio is a bit small for my taste (but nonetheless viable).

What we see here is the clash of opposite views over handregs. That's alright. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and some domainers might have methods which are very different from others, or even completely different from certain point on.

What matters at the end of the day, is whether one is making profit.

I am also one of those at the end of the spectrum. I do mostly drops, and quite a bunch of handregs. Been successful with hand regs, more successful with drops (for obvious reasons). But lately I became aware of something: Although I can teach other members useful stuff (which I do on a regular basis BTW) from what I do and test and learn, I cannot entirely recommend someone new to follow exactly what I do. Because you need experience in that particular method, and years of. Took me years to get here.

So it's a mixed thing. I think @xbank is just sharing some experience and I also learned something new from that experience. So should everyone else. But promoting this and that? I see no point. Each will pick a side of this business and be good at it - or not.

However I must note what I believe you are trying to convey and perhaps didn't really make it short enough.

The biggest sin of beginners appear to be hand regging. That part is clear. So we should all advise all beginners, stay away from handregs cause you're likely just burning money.

( The second biggest sin of beginners being overpricing crappy names, but that's out of scope here, just wanted to mention it too. )

So we all agree to disagree, and I guess my suggestion is, let's all head to our thing and make some money. Cause I guess the kumbaya is not happening today.

Last edited:
•••
Obviously it is much easier to hand reg
Do you think so? I mean, it's easier to spot a value in a domain that others are bidding as well, but do you think that it's easy to spot the value in a domain that nobody else thinked about? I think that most of the things are the opposite of what you believe about them. These are some godaddy auctions that ended under 1k in the last days:
yddcp.com 203 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
redhotproperty.com 204 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
bitescan.com 219 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
phuket-scuba-club.com 213 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
apocarmory.com 270 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
lunacard.com 273 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
coatepeque.com 242 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
standardretail.com 241 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
dichvutaichinh.com 863 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
hazaza.com 868 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
barefootlabs.com 868 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
bigtreemedia.com 861 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
kpd20.com 867 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
catwelfareohio.com 864 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
moozle.com 864 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
luxuryshoppers.com 896 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
thabank.com 853 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
museumlove.com 858 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
sust.org 854 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
teapearls.com 803 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
eternitystar.com 804 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
datalec.com 804 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
icovest.com 835 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
nightbazaar.com 833 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
designexpressions.com 833 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
bodysimply.com 833 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
sohap.com 838 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
dogcapital.com 831 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
chinaltd.com 824 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
ofaas.com 882 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
chinagardenjamaica.com 870 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
blocksol.com 870 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
super-ping.com 874 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
696789.com 843 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
electriccampers.com 843 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
gieflix.com 843 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
loyogou.com 843 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
stemofficial.com 842 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
appealtoheaven.com 847 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
cryptolookup.com 169 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
jianrourou.com 165 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
thefacebar.com 162 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
clickranking.com 168 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
holidayvillaparty.com 167 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
thecreativesource.com 195 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
blackapril.com 159 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
noblehoney.com 159 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
mannglobal.com 159 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
timedevelopers.com 155 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
legionfund.com 152 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
atlastiles.com 151 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
ailuchu.com 157 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
osafootballclub.com 154 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
slavein.com 105 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
rldata.com 104 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
vrprofessionals.com 104 USD 2021-08-06 GoDaddy
Now please point out the value on most of them and let us know why we should invest in them and I can do the same with some of my recent hand regs and we will see who will have a better ROI, STR and overall profit( even better, you could list a few of your recent aftermarket acquisitions to prove your point, but we all know that this will not happen)

Last edited:
•••
500% agreed with @twiki - with the sale data and with more research we learn every day something new every which helps us to understand and cut the belly fat and make sure the names we did will bring better returns, I made good money with the hand reggd names, also buying names from the profit and building a entire solid portfolio and it's working good, I am trying to make it better and be realistic with the prices, I used to do programming and have the knowledge to search the names with the suffix and comparing with the recent sales and the word trends, using the correct format, super word + super word or sweet word with solid suffix, researching every name if there is a company or some other tld's using the similar name giving me solid ideas that the name worth well, using correct English, no misspellings, also cool nice brandable, and so much and at the end it works well for me.

•••
only a few handful of names I will buy from the above list, it's just I believe some Chinese buyers are buying names on the GoDaddy's appraisal which is not always accurate for sure!

•••
it's easier to spot a value in a domain that others are bidding as well, but do you think that it's easy to spot the value in a domain that nobody else thinked about?

It's easier, in the case of hand regs, in the sense that initial expenditure is very low and acquisition is immediate. That can become be very addictive.

Last edited:
•••
The biggest sin of beginners appear to be hand regging. That part is clear. So we should all advise all beginners, stay away from handregs cause you're likely just burning money.

Yes, beginners are most prone to fall into this trap. But also long-timers have registered new domains that they later regretted and dropped. It is part of the game. Don't allow emotion to get attached to whether you only hand reg or only buy aftermarket or expired auction.

Investing requires thought and the confidence of return. Whether that is before the first year renewal or years into the life of the domain.

•••
Yes, beginners are most prone to fall into this trap. But also long-timers have registered new domains that they later regretted and dropped. It is part of the game. Don't allow emotion to get attached to whether you only hand reg or only buy aftermarket or expired auction.

Investing requires thought and the confidence of return. Whether that is before the first year renewal or years into the life of the domain.

I think we all sometimes fall in love with a name or two and get them before thinking too much. It's almost like sugar foods. You eat some, well, then you might eat more than you should.

The center of reward, triggered by money and drugs is also triggered by a nice sale. You get the rush. Years later I still get the rush. Fortunately, I control it, something I fortunately learned in my young years - controlling addictions of all kinds.

But indeed, domaining is about profit for most of us. And in this case, emotions have no real place to be in. And if you ever carried out, well, admit that quick to yourself and divert course.

Many domainers are hoarders. I guess I'm a bit of hoarder too, but a controlled one (tip: don't stretch it too much). It's that feeling and hope that you're gathering value; which is always partial. I mean, some will never sell and some will sell fast and you can't always tell which is which and how it ends. But you have to watch the numbers and make sure you're aiming for the profit.

Be an investor, not a collector. And focus on selling and making $, not on just having.

I'm often watching documentaries I like, about gold diggers around the world. I find this VERY similar to domaining. You do the legwork, find treasures that others might not find or recognize quick, then you make money off of that. Sometimes you find the big gold nugget - well, those guys get the rush, I guess any of us will feel excitement when managing to grab something truly valuable.

So in all aspects, I think emotion is here to stay. Who really can cancel their emotions? Not even psychopats - they have and recognize emotions, they just don't react normally to them.

The idea is having emotions but being able to control them. Depending on how young you are, one might find more or less difficult to do so. Better control comes with age. Young people are more prone to getting carried by emotions, so I always point them the wrong things but give them some slack cause we all are like that when very young. Which I'm not anymore, obviously.

Last edited:
•••
@twiki I fell in love with the first domain I registered over 20 years ago. I still have it and I still use it for one of my projects. I may have received one or two offers but many people registered variants of it. It is a cool sounding novelty name. It will take quite a high offer for me to let it go.

The question is, if we fall in love with a name, why? Does it have a sentimental meaning? Is it because we can see a big business opportunity with it? Or is it related to a hobby we enjoy? If we fall in love with it and can critically analyze the reason, chances are someone else will also fall in love with it. And we will not let go of it easily. The bigger problem is when we fall in love with a domain and then fall out of love very quickly.

•••
I should qualify that statement about falling in love with a domain or domains. Sometimes that can blind us to keep renewing domains that will never be profitable. So even here we need to do due diligence and be able to see critically the value.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back