Dynadot

question Hand Registered Domain

NameSilo
Watch

Maxleron

Established Member
Impact
Is it possible to buy a hand registered new age domain at a cheap price and sell it the next day for tens of thousands of dollars?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It does not cost anything to dream.
Go back to sleep.

The problem is the buyer going on vacation in Bahamas with no internet access.

Last edited:
•••
Please I need a reasonable answers with explanation..
Both of the answers you received are very reasonable, considering the ambiguity of your question.

Of course it's possible, just like winning the lottery is possible. It's just very unlikely, and the odds are very much against you.

Last edited:
•••
Think of a hand reg name as a plant, Water it, nurture it, and will grow, but the hold time usually takes two to five years for a decent ROI, I have sold 230 domains since 2005, 95% have been hand regged names.

•••
Like I promised to post my blog "Weekly New domains That Sold"
You can now find out for yourself and see that anything is possible in domaining.
You can see that
Btm.com sold for $48,608 on 22/7/18 and regged on 19/7/18 - Sold on 4th day of the registration
88567.com sold for $22,383 at PVT Sale on 24/1/18 registered on 24/07/18

These are not "hand regs". They were pending deletes that dropped and sold at highly competitive auctions, hence the prices. They show a recent creation date because of that but they were never sitting there available for the average person to hand register.

Brad

•••
Possible? Well, I guess anything is possible. Probable? No.

•••
I have just sold my two hand reg domains $200 each.

•••
So hand reg selling for 10K+ next day could be possible..
After being an investor for ten years I can say that it hasn't happened to me BUT:
I bought Photo-T/o/u/r/s/ in king for $5+ fees and sold for $12,000USD a few months latter...
It could have been a hand reg, it was a $5 closeout at Godaddy that was going to DROP.

I have other sales and deals that I bought for $10 and sold for five figures months latter...

•••
Okay @Maxleron - up until the time you registered the new domain, anybody could have registered it for $10 (let's say). So how are you going to find someone to buy your new domain for $10,000 the very next day?

•••
People have given the answer which is: Extremely unlikely. Not impossible, but the chances are akin to winning the lottery.

•••
If I had a high quality domain and nobody register it before and there is a demand on this domain why not selling it the next day at marketplace with the price that reflect it's real value ?
Yes, by all means. For example, I just registered the domain sex.com this morning, and I'm hoping someone may want to buy it from me tomorrow. :)

•••
How about: If you need to ask in a public forum, chances are you won't be able to do it, nor know how to.
But for entertainment purposes, you might want to read all of the gajilion threads on outbound marketing.

•••
Ive just sold my one hand reg .biz for 800 euro

.biz Ok? not com..

•••
I wondered how many domains of any type sell for at least $10,000. If you search NameBio there are 18,660 sales >=$10k from 610,041 sales in total,so about 3.1% of reported sales are above $10,000.

Interestingly, if you multiply that by say 220 reported NameBio sales per day you would expect about 7 sales above $10k per day. However, when I look at the daily reports from the last 10 days there were only 7 sales above $10 k over the 10 days. This is a tiny bit of data, and it is summer, but I wonder if the number of major sales is significantly lower than in past. The average sales price is lower, but not by a lot.

Anyway, to the OP question, the odds of ANYONE selling a $10k domain name in a day is very low. The odds of that with a new registration is almost 0. Now and then, something unexpected and new breaks, and maybe once in a long while someone would strike gold, but VERY unlikely.

•••
most likely not, same odds as winning the lottery i guess

•••
For the people who say there is no money in hand registered and make fun of the topic hope to learn from this video

•••
Yes, its very posible. Every brandable domain has this chance.

•••
Tens of thousands? With a lot of research and some luck it could happen but I wouldnt bet on it.

Decent profit? Doable, if you know what you're doing.

•••
For the people who say there is no money in hand registered and make fun of the topic hope to learn from this video

In many of the threads you start, you follow this same pattern of asking the equivalent of -how long is a piece of rope'. Then you are unhappy with the replies and act like it is the fault of everyone else.

There is a huge amount of info on this site and others. If you were really serious you'd read all that and then just ask for clarification.

If you're so sure of turning $10 into $10,000 overnight, then do it and come back and enlighten us instead of arguing if it's possible.

Also, more than a few of your questions could be answered by typing directly into google instead of here.

Whenever a self proclaimed newbie comes and starts arguing about what they know nothing about, I start thinking it's a troll.

•••
Is it possible to buy a hand registered new age domain at a cheap price and sell it the next day for tens of thousands of dollars?

I sold a domain within a day for $1200. The buyer told me he was going to buy the domain around the same time I bought it, but he had to nip down to the shops. ;)

What cost me $12 cost him $1200.
I still don't see anything on the site.

It's pure luck.

I hand reg a lot of domains around new tech news. New tech terms would most likely not have been registered if the idea was not around 20 years ago. Anyway that's my way, hope you find your lucky buyer.

Last edited:
•••
If I had a high quality domain and nobody register it before and there is a demand on this domain why not selling it the next day at marketplace with the price that reflect it's real value ?

Because. As others have said. Firstly: All high quality domains have already been registered for years, if not decades. Secondly: How do you prove the demand for an unregistered domain? Thirdly: The odds of this happening to you, a relative noob (based on your NP registration date) are higher than you winning the first prize on the lottery with a single ticket. It's possible. But highly unlikely. The odds are in the stratosphere.

All I can say to you is register that unregistered domain right NOW! And Dream On.

Last edited:
•••
Hi @Maxleron ...

I read all above mentioned comments...and agree with all of them...even with your side of thinking.

is it possible to hand reg a domain and get a buyer willing to pay thousands the next day..?!

Of course it is possible...

The point is can you depend on that possibility and earn a lot...(even just earn)

No !!

Should you reg based on this possibility criteria...

Never !!

Why ?

Because the odds are very very low...

Why ?

- the buyer who is willing to pay thousands of dollars for a domain name...most possibly already searched for that domain in all possible ways and places.
- and finding you at the same time when they need is again very low chance.
- and all of it happening the very next day is very very very very very low.

That is why even investment of $10 based on this expectation is not worth!

Considering you expecting all this happens without any efforts from your side to sell...

These possibilities slightly increase when you are hand reg a domain after thorough analysis...following current trends... reaching out to possible buyers by outbound marketing...and luckily they responded means you have a chance.

Is it worth... still No...
It may happen in months/years.... you can invest and expect a good return/great profit once you have done research before regng and willing to wait.

Like @sarahsdomains mentioned...all great domains are already regd long ago...if not regd that means the keywords in the domain name doesn't exist before!
New technology..new systems...new trends so new need of that domain.

If it makes you any better in believing our thoughts...most...if not every
start up is looking first to secure their domain names before even naming their company!!

This saves them lot of money to spend in acquiring that name.

...and all are trying to tell the same point but some putting in a sarcastic way, I see that a lot when experienced members responding to new members...may it be appraisal requests or forum qyquestio.

Just take the point and ignore the sarcasm.

Thanks,
Ravi.

•••
covfefe.com would be a good example of hand registering a seemingly worthless domain that could have sold within weeks if not days for 10k. You had to be the smart one who was awake and active online that night after Trumps tweet started going viral and thought to go register that domain first. I saw a quick article right after the tweet started getting attention, didn't think at all to register the domain before going to bed, but I could have. Doh!

Last edited:
•••
The closest example I can think of is covfefe dot com where the owner supposedly turned down a 15k offer.
And now he can't shift the stupid thing :laugh::laugh::laugh:

•••
Cutting all the BS and sarcasm that has been dropped in here and snide comments for no valid reason (for the lools?:guilty:) I say the anwser is definitely yes. The thing is though if it's a high demand domain then it probably would already be taken since something generally doesn't become high demand in an instant. There's the anwser (wasn't too hard to deliver it and actually explain it ;))

Remember everyone, we all are here learning and asking questions. You don't become a master over night. Good luck to you OP and great question :xf.cool:. Enjoy!

Domaineer1
(y)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back