Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

prague7

NameTopic.comEstablished Member
Impact
Ooer - this one's going to run for a while... :O

From DomainNameNews:
SnapNames User Name “Halvarez” Was Nelson Brady, VP of Engineering Bidding on Domain Names [Updated]
[Updated] According to a statement from Oversee.net’s SnapNames, an employee was found to have bid in 5% of their auctions since 2005 and in some cases arranged for a partial refund of the sales price after winning an auction. DNN also confirmed the bidder as Nelson Brady, the VP of Engineering. He was bidding under the username “halvarez”.

From Snapnames:
SnapNames User Name “Halvarez” Was Employee Bidding on Domain Names
To avoid any question about whether the company benefited from this conduct, SnapNames will offer a rebate to impacted customers, including 5.22% interest (the highest applicable federal rate during the affected time period), of the difference between the prices they paid in winning auctions, and the prices they would have paid had the employee not bid in the auctions. Impacted customers will be notified by SnapNames or its representative with instructions for the offer of a rebate.

SnapNames also has taken further action to ensure its policies regarding auctions are followed, and the company remains committed to taking whatever action is necessary to protect the integrity of its auction platform.

SnapNames deeply regrets this situation and is committed to addressing its customers’ needs quickly and fairly.

There's also a FAQ page at Snapnames

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
....wondering if Peter works at Snapnames. Carry on.

I don't think so. It's always good to see the other side of the story and not to be carried away by anger.

•••
If you have any sense of common logic, you would understand why Peter said that.

Michael is obviously working in the high-end of the domain auctions, while Brady participated in auctions across the board in value. So extrapolating Michael's numbers to all the auctions will inevitably be wildly incorrect.

Anyone who uses their head before letting their emotions carry them away will usually have less to feel foolish about later.

•••
If you have any sense of common logic, you would understand why Peter said that.

It's the theme, not a single post. :rolleyes:

•••

LOL

I've known peter for quite a while and I can assure you he doesn't work for snap, not that it would really matter if he did tbh.

•••
•••
Market confidence in business - and reputation - is everything.

Oversee - and Moniker - need to do something now to address the very real market confidence issue in the domain community, imo.

Neither Oversee - nor, Moniker - have yet come out and said - without qualification: 'Whatever the fallout - We will survive this, financially...'

Whatever about the specific numbers (and, at this stage - with the info we have - we can only guess), it matters a lot, imo, that the domain community get to understand the overall $$$ size of this.

Oversee owns Moniker & DomainSponser, as well.....If the financial damage of this (to Oversee) is beyond a certain level, then, it could affect Oversee's viability as a going concern. And, that would affect other businesses in the group.

In a worst case, a bankruptcy - or, Administration of some kind - of Oversee could freeze all Oversee assets, for a time - and, therefore, place ALL Oversee companies into a legal limbo...And, that would have direct negative consequences for Moniker, where millions of domains are held......Eg Imagine a freeze on managing, and accessing, all domains at Moniker - even for a few weeks....???

So, understanding the true scale of this matters to the domain community (apart from their own direct personal losses due to auctions).....The market needs to be informed, so it can make rational decisions.

* We need to know how big this thing really is.

* We need to know if Oversee (via their own analysis) have any evidence of further false bidding identities.

* We need to know if it was really 50,000 auctions affected - Or, was it 500,000 auctions?

* We need to know if other SnapNames management and/or staff we're involved.

* We need to know the (estimated) total $$$$ liability of this for Oversee.

* We need to know whether Oversee can survive this.

So, Oversee...?....Moniker...?

Last edited:
•••

It's the theme, not a single post. :rolleyes:

Why? Because he is approaching it from a different perspective than you? I don't see it printed anwhere around these parts that your word is gospel.

Every opinion (right ,wrong, or just misplaced) is a valid one in this instance and I believe and the battle is with SN and oversee, not each other.

•••
Market confidence in business - and reputation - is everything.

Oversee - and Moniker - need to do something now to address the very real market confidence issue in the domain community, imo.

Neither Oversee - nor, Moniker - have yet come out and said - without qualification: 'Whatever the fallout - We will survive this, financially...'

Whatever about the specific numbers (and, at this stage - with the info we have - we can only guess), it matters a lot, imo, that the domain community get to understand the overall $$$ size of this.

Oversee owns Moniker & DomainSponser, as well.....If the financial damage of this (to Oversee) is beyond a certain level, then, it could affect Oversee's viability as a going concern. And, that would affect other businesses in the group.

In a worst case, a bankruptcy - or, Administration of some kind - of Oversee could freeze all Oversee assets, for a time - and, therefore, place ALL Oversee companies into a legal limbo...And, that would have direct negative consequences for Moniker, where millions of domains are held......Eg Imagine a freeze on managing, and accessing, all domains at Moniker - even for a few weeks....???

So, understanding the true scale of this matters to the domain community (apart from their own direct personal losses due to auctions).....The market needs to be informed, so it can make rational decisions.

* We need to know how big this thing really is.

* We need to know if Oversee (via their own analysis) have any evidence of further false bidding identities.

* We need to know if it was really 50,000 auctions affected - Or, was it 500,000 auctions?

* We need to know if other SnapNames management and/or staff we're involved.

* We need to know the (estimated) total $$$$ liability of this for Oversee.

* We need to know whether Oversee can survive this.

So, Oversee...?....Moniker...?

We need to know if its true Halvarez quit bidding in 2007 or 2009

•••
Every opinion (right ,wrong, or just misplaced) is a valid one in this instance and I believe and the battle is with SN and oversee, not each other.

In that regard, we are on the same page. I'm not here to defend or condemn the criminals of Snapnames. But there are those here that seem to be defending the enemy. Treason is a word that comes to mind.

•••
He was bidding in 2009. He was in several auctions with me and won some of them.

Brad

•••

He did not stop bidding between 2007 and 2009. If you read the initial announcement carefully they do in fact admit that but in a sense play it down.

They stated that the bulk of the auctions were between 2005 and 2007. Without Snapnames publishing all the results for the actions publicly this will be very difficult to validate. I very much doubt this information will ever be published however due to the privacy implications. If they did release it they would need to anonymize a lot of the information which would simply increase speculation. The only place this would come under proper scrutiny would be in a court.

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 AM ----------

In that regard, we are on the same page. I'm not here to defend or condemn the criminals of Snapnames. But there are those here that seem to be defending the enemy. Treason is a word that comes to mind.

You really need to get a grip of the situation. This has nothing to do with defending 1 person or another. My posts have been aimed at trying to get people to think objectively and to question any information they are fed.

Granted Snapnames may not be telling people the whole truth but how do you know the majority of people in this thread are? People are getting ery frustrated and angry and airing their frustrations with information that may not be wholly true. Other people are taking this information as gospel without validating any of it.

If people act due to this misinformation then they will find themselves up a certain creek without a paddle.

People are also making unfounded accusations against other Snapnames employees. Without having any proof these people are essentially defamation of character which could land people in serious legal issues.

•••
Has any comment been made as to whether Oversee is insured against employee fraud?

•••
You really need to get a grip of the situation. This has nothing to do with defending 1 person or another. My posts have been aimed at trying to get people to think objectively and to question any information they are fed.

Granted Snapnames may not be telling people the whole truth but how do you know the majority of people in this thread are? People are getting ery frustrated and angry and airing their frustrations with information that may not be wholly true. Other people are taking this information as gospel without validating any of it.

If people act due to this misinformation then they will find themselves up a certain creek without a paddle.

People are also making unfounded accusations against other Snapnames employees. Without having any proof these people are essentially defamation of character which could land people in serious legal issues.

If that's the case, please forgive me.

My initial reaction was based on my own perception that you were defending the actions of Snapnames. As a matter of fact, I had collected about 5 or 6 quotes of yours that appeared to be defending the actions of Snapnames. The record speaks for itself, so I won't bother rehashing it here.

At this point, I think it best that the reader form his own conclusion(s). It is my opinion that you are heavily slanted toward the defending the position of Snapnames. That is my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. Take it for the two cents that it's worth.

I'm tired, it's late. Peace out and good luck to all my domainer pals. :)

•••
If that's the case, please forgive me.

My initial reaction was based on my own perception that you were defending the actions of Snapnames. As a matter of fact, I had collected about 5 or 6 quotes of yours that appeared to be defending the actions of Snapnames. The record speaks for itself, so I won't bother rehashing it here.

At this point, I think it best that the reader form his own conclusion(s). It is my opinion that you are heavily slanted toward the defending the position of Snapnames. That is my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. Take it for the two cents that it's worth.

I'm tired, it's late. Peace out and good luck to all my domainer pals. :)

Not all readers are Male.
Some domainers are actually Female.

Cheers
Corey

•••
Regarding Moniker, I have yet to read any statements coming directly from Monte.

No doubt, his legal counsels are advising him from saying anything. Who knows, as a wholly owned subsidiary of Oversee, he may be even be prevented from speaking his mind.

Since both short and long term outlook for Oversee is cloudy at best, I would suggest that if you have a significant number of high-valued domain names, take the prudent step of moving some to another registrar.

Just my penny thought

•••
•••
If there are other aliases, they will be revealed, and the same rule as above should apply.

Thats what I'm waiting for before I even think about signing anything.
(not that mine is much, scammed 10/950 auctions)

I still think Nelson Brady _\|/_ would have been using a few shill IDs operating primarily in the lower dollar bid range. $60 to < $1000

Halvarez was very well known for being "inactive" rather than active considering the amount of auctions he was in.

...time will tell if there are more Brady ghosts in the snap machine ! :ghost:

ps ) any other suspect names popping up ?

Last edited:
•••
It still doesnt look as though things have progressed much over the last week.

Have any of the larger domainers negotiated any settlements?

If it was just Nelson i can live with that. If it was more widespread that really upsets me.

"IF" there is Corruption/Fraud in the Parking Industry ill :'(

Snapnames.com platform is Excellent :tu: and i still use it every day and hope to use it for many years to come.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Does anybody think that the same explosive revelation can happen to the parking industry ?

Yes Sadly

•••

He was still bidding as of 9/9/09 for sure but had stopped by October, at least on the auctions in which I participated.

•••

He was still bidding as of 9/9/09 for sure but had stopped by October, at least on the auctions in which I participated.

This is the last scammy looking one I was in, he ripped off the guy $325 in one foul swoop by the looks of it :o

Bidder Date Bid Amount Comment
robm 18-Sep-2007 13:41 PDT $475.00 Completed
robm 18-Sep-2007 12:09 PDT $475.00 Bid Placed
halvarez 18-Sep-2007 12:09 PDT $450.00 Bid Placed <<<<<<<<<<<
robm 16-Sep-2007 10:25 PDT $150.00 Bid Placed
(my username) 16-Sep-2007 10:25 PDT $140.00 Bid Placed
robm 16-Sep-2007 09:12 PDT $130.00 Bid Placed
(my username) 16-Sep-2007 09:12 PDT $120.00 Bid Placed
(my username) 16-Sep-2007 06:54 PDT $111.00 Bid Placed
robm 16-Sep-2007 06:53 PDT $101.00 Bid Placed
(my username) 16-Sep-2007 06:53 PDT $100.00 Bid Placed
robm 15-Sep-2007 14:18 PDT $90.00 Bid Placed
(my username) 15-Sep-2007 14:18 PDT $85.00 Bid Placed
robm 15-Sep-2007 14:18 PDT $80.00 Bid Placed
(my username) 15-Sep-2007 14:18 PDT $75.00 Bid Placed
robm 15-Sep-2007 11:51 PDT $66.00 Initial Bid
(my username) 15-Sep-2007 11:50 PDT $61.00 Initial Bid
halvarez 15-Sep-2007 11:50 PDT $59.00 Initial Bid

(my username) was....errr, me !

-----------------------------------------

This is the last time I saw Halvarez in an auction but he did'nt bid, ironic he was in it considering the domain

halvarez 09-Sep-2009 12:27 PDT $59.00 Initial Bid .............LURK.COM LOL, Yeah he's been lurking for a looooong time.

Last edited:
•••
Regarding Moniker, I have yet to read any statements coming directly from Monte.

No doubt, his legal counsels are advising him from saying anything. Who knows, as a wholly owned subsidiary of Oversee, he may be even be prevented from speaking his mind.

Since both short and long term outlook for Oversee is cloudy at best, I would suggest that if you have a significant number of high-valued domain names, take the prudent step of moving some to another registrar.

Just my penny thought

I like using Moniker and hope they survive this. Although it is a worrying situation.

•••
•••
•••
•••
John Berryhill is exactly correct. It is basically what I have been trying to say with regards to the waiver they request you sign. Of course John has put it more eloquently than I did.

To be honest I think the only reason Rick put that on his site was for sensationalism . He is very egotistical (lets face it he is the self proclaimed domain king, he couldn't get any more egotistical if he tried) and always likes something that will gain him some notoriety. Someone in his position has undoubtedly had to sign such waivers in the past and should understand the sort of content they have.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back