Dynadot

advice Had an .EU domain suspended. Don't really care for it. What can I do?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NotFromBayArea

Established Member
Impact
Hey guys.

I purchased an .EU domain some time ago for like $9.
Was asked to provide my personal data (to prove I'm in the EU) and claim "good faith", so I did so.

I was then asked to confirm "good faith" for it a few weeks ago, but my registrar forwarded these emails (between the EURID legal division and the registrar legal division) to me too late for me to act in time. Now the domain is suspended, and unless I confirm good faith within "a few" days the domain will be revoked - and I will be unable to register any .EU domains in the future.

I'm not particularly interested in the domain, or the .EU TLD, so I'd simply like to drop it. The concept of first having to confirm your personal data, then claim "good faith", and then more legal letters to *confirm* good faith is just obnoxious.

I contacted my registrar and apparently they "cannot" (read: will not) delete the domain regardless if it's suspended or not, so they recommended me to simply let it expire.

I'm wondering if there's any risk in confirming "good faith" for a .EU domain and then allowing the domain to expire, or if there's any cost involved in allowing it to be revoked (beyond being unable to buy .EU domains again).

It's just a few too many confirmations and legal letters for my taste, especially for a cheap domain I don't really care about.

Thank you for reading (y)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
IF you want to buy or develop sites on (future) EU domains then you should better confirm "good faith".
Else let it expire and never touch EU further (to avoid all that legal stuff).

If you are an EU citizen, and actively into web developement/domaining then you better keep your 'good faith' status active (just in case) - is my personal opinion.

•••
Sounds about right for the EU. Overly beurocratic.

I also agree that it sounds like you're better off having this good faith status just in case, instead of having your card marked so to speak.

It sounds like a right stupid system.

•••
Hey guys.

Was asked to provide my personal data (to prove I'm in the EU) and claim "good faith", so I did so.

I was then asked to confirm "good faith" for it a few weeks ago, but my registrar forwarded these emails (between the EURID legal division and the registrar legal division) to me too late for me to act in time. Now the domain is suspended, and unless I confirm good faith within "a few" days the domain will be revoked - and I will be unable to register any .EU domains in the future.

I'm not particularly interested in the domain, or the .EU TLD, so I'd simply like to drop it. The concept of first having to confirm your personal data, then claim "good faith", and then more legal letters to *confirm* good faith is just obnoxious.

I contacted my registrar and apparently they "cannot" (read: will not) delete the domain regardless if it's suspended or not, so they recommended me to simply let it expire.

I'm wondering if there's any risk in confirming "good faith" for a .EU domain and then allowing the domain to expire, or if there's any cost involved in allowing it to be revoked (beyond being unable to buy .EU domains again).

It's just a few too many confirmations and legal letters for my taste, especially for a cheap domain I don't really care about.

Thank you for reading (y)

Are you from the EU?

•••
Hey guys.

You could always try contacting Eurid (the registry) directly and explain what happened with the registrar and include the headers of the e-mails to show the timestamps and why your responses were late.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
why dont you ask them to come to your place so that you can prove "good faith" personally :)
A self-declaration to confirm that the domain will be used in good faith is sufficient.
Honestly I dont see any other option to prove "good faith".

============================================

You may want to check this. Is your domain related to Covid 19 or any other medical cure, treatment/trademark infringement etc.?

EURid uses a pre-registration system called Abuse, Prevention and Early Warning System (APEWS). Traditionally, the APEWS has focused on patterns in application data (including registrant data and name servers) to identify malicious domain name applications. That is, by using quantitative analysis, the APEWS flags those domains that are likely to have been applied for by malicious actors, with less attention being placed on the content of the actual domain to be registered. Under these EURid measures, registrants of domain names flagged up by APEWS are required to ‘explain’ their domain within seven days - i.e. confirming it was registered in ‘good faith’. For brand owners, EURid's inclusion of COVID-19 related terms in its algorithm represents a welcome first step to a more qualitative approach to domain name applications.

Cited from:
https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=d1fdd74b-ce58-488e-a776-d242f1c39ee8

Last edited:
•••
The EU and their stupid acronyms and legislation that isn't fit for purpose. Like the annoying cookie banners that no one cares about and are abused by every website to coerce everyone into giving consent to be tracked by 3rd parties. Ridiculous, as is this warning system. Not to mention this stuff about covid domains.

•••
First time I heard about having to confirm "good faith" and I've had .eu domains since launch, registered a dozen new ones this year, too. Could you share more details, maybe a quote?

•••
Can anybody outside of EU buying and selling EU names? I mean is there any loophole

•••
Wait what is this "good faith"? You cannot sell .eu domains? I'm quite confused.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back