IT.COM

Grandfathered EDU Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

academicly

Impact
Is there still any market for these domains? I still have a 4 letter .edu domain from 1996. I recall they can only be transferred as a corporation, is that true?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is there still any market for these domains? I still have a 4 letter .edu domain from 1996. I recall they can only be transferred as a corporation, is that true?

I'm interested in this if you still have it, please DM me.

•••
thanks, replied to other msg.

•••
EDU is good
  • There should be a lot of market value now

•••
As being rare, yes. As being legalities? Not so much... I would be required to sell grandfathered edu as corporation asset, and not too interested in the hassle of it all and also concerned with any potential legalities for buyer. No need for any grief at both ends.

Facing the fact that my edu is with me until I hit the grave..! The best potential is offering "server file space" on my edu server for individuals who want to install open source learning systems as sub-domains on the edu server.

For example, you teach math skills, you could register mathskills.xxxx.edu and easily install LMS for your students.

I am retired professor emeritus and running my own server since 1996 with plenty experience in learning management systems. And this may be my new years resolution! ;)

Cheers and happy new years!
Daprof

Last edited:
•••
Maybe rent out the domain ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back