Dynadot

news GoDaddy to acquire domain sales platform dan.com!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have tried very hard to run away from GoDaddy, but GoDaddy is chasing me like a zombie. Uniregistry... Dan... I keep running in my whole domaining life.

Last edited:
•••
I have tried very hard to run away from GoDaddy, but GoDaddy is chasing me like a zombie. Uniregistry... Dan... I keep running in my whole domaining life.
You can never hide from GoDaddy.

First, Uniregistry
Then DN Academy
Now Dan

This is not over. Watch this space...

Last edited:
•••
I suppose they could have sold out to LIV !

Not a move I like one little bit.

•••
If the commission for selling in Dan becomes 20%,
I'd rather at least put all the domains back into Bodis landerpages and collect some of the parking profits again.

A large number of domain traders gave up their parking profits permanently. because of the simple dan landerpage, in addition to the 9% commission, and the ability to negotiate with buyers directly.

•••
Is it a late April Fool's joke?

It's not funny.

•••
The biggest problem is if Godaddy actually acquired Dan's website 100%.

Perhaps we will see the process of canceling the Sending and receiving money through Crypto: Bitcoin

Bitcoin not available as a payment method on Godaddy and Godaddy may be one of the American companies that hate bitcoin.

Anyway I'm shocked 😕

•••
Raising Dan commission would be a really dumb move.

Why raising commission and creating space for new/old competitors?

I would not take for granted the 9% fee will go up...

Last edited:
•••
So the "open domain distribution network" that DAN never implemented makes sense if you read the commission statement. It's 20% commission, it falls right in line with Afternic. It's odd they released that over a year ago, and it's never been used. But in reality, the intention was to get it added on to make a sale to GD even more appealing. You know, a lot of the development and heavy lifting is already done.

•••
...one of the most respected brands in domains - Dan.com

Oh yeah, we respect them so much.
not

We've always put our customers first and that won't change. - Dan.com

You sure showed us! How did you know we love getting punked by GD? Now when do we get to hand them more money?

The Dan.com mission aligns well with GoDaddy’s mission to empower entrepreneurs and make opportunity more inclusive for all. - GoDaddy.com

Nothing says empowering entrepreneurs like ripping them off.

•••

Attachments

• Galactus_theories.jpeg
    Galactus_theories.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
•••
So is this a good news or bad news?

•••
We all know that you will sell the most where you send all your backlink/type-in/search engine traffic to,

Not (yet) the case for me... Most of my domains are parked at DAN. I get hundreds or thousands of views each month, I've received 3 low-ball offers on DAN overall, but I've never sold a domain there. My small sales have come from Afternic (and in those cases, the NS had even been pointing to DAN landers) while the better ones have been private transactions.

DAN is a great platform: their innovativeness is awesome, their response time is pretty good, their landers are clean, their commission rates are fair, and 98% of their support agents seem to be amazing. But I think DAN has certain gaps that a partnership with GoDaddy could potentially help fill --- gaps in reach, reputation, end-user trust, and consequently sales, perhaps?

The concern, for me, is whether GoDaddy will kill all the things that make DAN great or just stifle them into non-existence.

•••
Thanos is collecting infinity stones; and only one stone remains: SEDO.
Once that is done: SANP :xf.eek:

•••
That is a bit cryptic...what else might be coming?!?!

Epik is still my marketplace of choice...wouldn't now be a great time to discount from 9% to 5% to encourage those leaving Dan to list on the Epik marketplace? Just a thought...maybe do it for a month or two.

Also, is there a transfer deal on the horizon? There are still a few domains I'd like to move...I will keep an eye on the Epik thread so you do not have to post anything in this thread that might be off topic.

It has been whispered for a while Godaddy was acquiring someone of note and it seems the Dan buyout fits the bill...are there any 'back room' discussions you have been privy to suggesting another buyout? I've heard there is still another acquisition coming and someone has mentioned the name of a potential party in this thread already.

the only thing I've been hearing for while is how dan owners are working on new updates and mega bright future for all... oh well looks like we all been taken for nice little ride and if u flash enuff cash to anyone they gonna forget their own name and they mama name too... chiching

Last edited:
•••

sedo sucks. that's like a regular rock. like piece of coal.. not infinity stone

•••
Not (yet) the case for me... Most of my domains are parked at DAN. I get hundreds or thousands of views each month, I've received 3 low-ball offers on DAN overall, but I've never sold a domain there. My small sales have come from Afternic (and in those cases, the NS had even been pointing to DAN landers) while the better ones have been private transactions.

DAN is a great platform: their innovativeness is awesome, their response time is pretty good, their landers are clean, their commission rates are fair, and 98% of their support agents seem to be amazing. But I think DAN has certain gaps that a partnership with GoDaddy could potentially help fill --- gaps in reach, reputation, end-user trust, and consequently sales, perhaps?

The concern, for me, is whether GoDaddy will kill all the things that make DAN great or just stifle them into non-existence.
Hi where were pointed the domains that you sold through Afternic?

•••
Congrats to them for the sell out - nice payday after the years of hard work.....

Crap news news for the rest of us..... but at the end of the day a nice target for start ups is the buyout option and who can blame them if they got a nice ROI

All we can do is watch this space and see how it pans out......while planning for the worst case scenario

•••
Well next on list will be Dynadot 😉 watch my words 😉

•••
If you are after low-commission landers, then Dan is not the only option.

Squadhelp standard listings (you can list any domain here): 7.5% commission (multiple payment options, installment payments, description, keywords, optional logo, live chat support for buyers)

Squadhelp WLM (white label marketplace): same like the SH standard listings, but instead of pointing your domains to squadhelp.com, you can register your own domain name and point your domains there to create a private marketplace

Daaz: 5% commission

Namesilo marketplace: 7.5% commission

But it is just a speculation for now that Dan will increase the commission.

Last edited:
•••
•••
We understand that the first reaction many Dan users have can be a negative one. However, please know that this is not your typical exit.

100% of Dan's employees including management and Reza won't leave the company
and the reason for that is because we're given the chance to do what we do well at a larger scale.

We will build out our vision just with more resources at our disposal which we needed to push forward faster.

Give us some time and we will make our roadmap clearer and when that's in place, we believe the sentiment will turn positive.

Good things are ahead for domain investors!

•••
Let's see if someone out there can mockup a press release about Sedo and everyone else being acquired.

•••
•••
•••
We understand that the first reaction many Dan users have can be a negative one. However, please know that this is not your typical exit.

100% of Dan's employees including management and Reza won't leave the company
and the reason for that is because we're given the chance to do what we do well at a larger scale.

We will build out our vision just with more resources at our disposal which we needed to push forward faster.

Give us some time and we will make our roadmap clearer and when that's in place, we believe the sentiment will turn positive.

Good things are ahead for domain investors!

What a sugar coated reply. You expect us to believe that a company who was your competitor and whose vision is different than yours will give you free hand to do whatever you want? Why don't you just admit that they threw money at you and you picked it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back