NameLot

GoDaddy terminating fast transfer inclusions over Afternic for any of Epik’s customers

Labeled as registrars in Domain Industry News, started by equity78, Nov 16, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. bmugford

bmugford www.DataCube.com PRO VIP ICA Member ★★★★★★★★★★

As I said below, private company in my usage = private sector. It has nothing to do with the financial structure of the company.

A company traded on the stock exchange reserves the same rights to decide who they want to do business with.

Brad

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. thekiller

thekiller Top Contributor VIP

upload_2020-11-18_21-19-32.png

Just listed one domain and I received the email from epik.com regarding enabling fast transfer.

3. bmugford

The letter lists the termination date as January 5th, 2021.

Brad

4. equity78

equity78 Top Member TheDomains Staff TLDInvestors.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

No Epik is not an advertiser on TLDInvestors.com or TheDomains.com. Back in 2019 I actually returned money (don't think many are doing that one) after a campaign just started but I did not like the stuff that was coming out about a conspiracy.

https://tldinvestors.com/2019/03/daily-domain-picks-3-20-19.html

5. equity78

Yes they had to provide 60 days notice.

6. equity78

What are you looking for from a registrar? What matters most?

Price
    Payment options
    Distribution agreements
    Parking landers
    Tools like whois lookups, ease of manangement, etc...

7. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

ticker symbol GDDY :xf.cool:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  8. bmugford

I am not really sure why people can't seem to understand the concept.

A company in the private sector can do business with who they please. The fact that you can buy shares in that company is irrelevant to that.

There are very few exceptions to this, like some regulated utilities or monopolies.

For instance if there is only (1) electric company, they are generally not allowed to deny business when no other options exist.

Brad

9. Samer

Obligation to shareholders and the bottom line;
    they not really “Private” must report every 3 mo

There’s less privacy when u r public company;
    Dont think you could have worded better? dont see any Private when u r Public company

10. bmugford

It is irrelevant though to my point. They are private sector companies.

Epik might not be publicly traded, but it is private sector company just like GoDaddy or Paypal is.

Epik can choose to not do business with a company the same way GoDaddy or Paypal can.

Brad

11. blogspotter

blogspotter Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

They are confused bewteen Public Sector company and Publicly traded company.

Companies with a significant holding by the state are called Public sector enterprise in some countries.

Listed companies are still private enterprises with a lot of share holders,

Anyway, I am still getting Optin mails from epik for Afternic

epik.png

Also this is not a Big deal. The buyer doesn't know what a fast transfer is. It is just simple a way to make transaction smoother for Afternic. A buyer truely wants a domain, they will get the Auth code and get the name transferred. It is not like they will look for an alternative simply because they are asked to enter an Auth Code to transfer a domain name

12. Samer

Ahh “private sector” Public company.
    Wow! Oxymoron aside; i get the point;

Never heard term “Private Sector” “Public”

Using Yahoo finance;
    Sector: Technology
    Industry: Software —Infrastructure

5C35C165-A831-47CD-B7C9-368D57010B93.jpeg
    Never heard”Private Sector” Public company
    learn something new everyday.

13. DomainBanana

DomainBanana Established Member

You're still getting opt-in emails because Fast Transfer hasn't been canceled yet. It will be terminated Jan 15, as has been said many times in this thread.

Re: not a big deal -- those who understand the significantly expanded reach of the Fast Transfer Network understand that it is a very big deal.

It is also a big deal in the sense that once again, Epik has shown itself to be incapable of acting with integrity and professionalism, instead resorting to insults, attacks, hate, and politics.

I have appreciated Epik's innovation and attention to the domaining community and hope they can resolve this and other incidents in a professional way.

14. Samer

Long time until January 15; Easy.

Let’s get past 2020 in one piece

15. blogspotter

blogspotter Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Are you saying that if a domain is not eligible for fast transfer, it will not show up in the reg path of Afternic network?

16. mr-x

mr-x Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

People who think deplatforming isn't important or illegal because private companies are doing it don't understand the implications for the USA.

1) A small group of people have an over important say about what is and isn't proper speech.

2) Companies coordinating with each other have the power to harm people with minority views.

3) Tortious interference

17. Samer

How much market share does GD have?
    asking for a friend

18. bmugford

A lot of that might be true, but at the same time you don't have unlimited rights to do and say whatever you want and be free of consequences for those actions.

Whatever the actual reason GoDaddy cut Epik, Epik has been their "partner" and launching attacks on them for quite a while. They inserted them into the Paypal issue recently, which had nothing to do with GoDaddy while doxxing many employees information in a completely irrelevant manner.

At some point you might just not want to be associated with the drama. Epik has been involved in drama and controversy with so many other companies. At some point the issue is not everyone else.

Epik attacks others, often while spreading baseless or irrelevant conspiracy theories then plays the victim card. That is kind of their thing at this point.

Maybe when the Paypal issue came up, if they tried to handle it in a more professional manner without going on unhinged rants, the outcome would have been better. Who knows.

Brad

19. DomainBanana

DomainBanana Established Member

Just spoke to an Afternic rep, who confirmed the Fast Transfer Network gets about 35% more visibility than the standard network

20. DigitalRoar

DigitalRoar Investor & Creator VIP

Another reason to run away from GoDaddy and their subsidiaries, I will probably finish moving everything by end of the year (y)

21. mr-x

mr-x Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I'll give Danica a call to find out :)

22. bmugford

They have about has much market share as the next 10 registrars combined.

But don't confuse size with a monopoly. The same services they offer from domains to hosting are available elsewhere, normally even for lower prices.

The actual monopoly is a company like Verisign, who is the exclusive provider of .COM.
    You have no alternative if you want a .COM.

Brad

23. TCK

TCK NameOptions.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I spoke with @Rob Monster on the phone as well. He is very cordial. That's why it is hard to understand the positions taken by Epik. At the same time I dealt with other key personnel of Epik who are far less cordial and, in fact, insulting and unprofessional. There is no coordinated message from the company. I hope they can work out their public image and policy.

24. Windoms

Windoms Top Contributor VIP

I salute your integrity.

25. NameDeck

NameDeck NotElected.com VIP

@Michael 's (Namebio) issue with PayPal comes to mind. He got things resolved. He was in a bad spot but turned tings around by staying calm and focused on a resolution.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice