NameSilo

GoDaddy spoof phishing scam to verify WhoIs verification

Labeled as warning in Warnings and Alerts started by xynames, May 7, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. xynames

xynames XYNames.com PRO VIP

When viewed in Outlook you may see that the return address is NOT from @godaddy.com , but when viewed on a web browser or other mail program, it looks pretty authentic.

But, whenever you receive any email that is not addressed to your name ("Dear Registrant"), you know it is suspect (which is not to say that scammers aren't able to phish your name and address you by it...sometimes they do!):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. dande

dande UNNATURE.COM VIP

I am always suspicion whenever I receive emails that I am not expecting, no matter who's sending it. Once I open it and the message did not add up, it's straight to the trash.

3. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2002 - 2019 VIP

The trick is to never click a link.

If I were to receive that email I would open a new tab, log in to godaddy and see if there was any communication there. Same goes for paypal or your financial institution.

If an email looks authentic, open a new tab, check the corresponding site for any communications.

The number one rule.... PLEASE don't click on a link.

Most of the higher security sites will now mention this when they send you an email, they will no longer provide a link and will instead tell you to visit the site and to login to your account.

4. alcy

alcy Top Member VIP

you mean you are expecting all your domain inquiry emails? ;)

5. alcy

alcy Top Member VIP

the email address always gives those pathetic dumb suckers away

just look at that and u don't even have to read the rest.

6. xynames

xynames XYNames.com PRO VIP

Of course, but recently all of my GoDaddy WhoIs verification emails did not show up in my GD control panel, not at all,
    https://www.namepros.com/threads/ho...ication-recertification.1123668/#post-7200727
    and yet every WhoIs verification email was authentic:

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  7. John Hardley

John Hardley New Member

One such email, implying to be from GoDaddy, is as of now making the rounds. not overlook all messages from your recorder about confirming your whois data. they won't almost certainly sidestep the two factor validation.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice