NameSilo

GoDaddy Scammed Me - Here's PROOF!

Located in Domain Marketplace Reviews started by member-162055, Apr 25, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. Grilled

Grilled khjasdhkfdhdskfhhukdfshkj VIP

What's the difference between a bug and very sloppy programming? lol

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Grilled

If that's accurate, then GoDaddy needs to copy and paste your example to their FAQ.

+1 for the well written attention to detail!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  3. member-162055

member-162055 Established Member

Thanks for pitching in! The problem is not only that the auction is a legally binding contract, but auctions can't have 2 different end times so if they side with the 2nd end time, they are completely destroying the integrity of their marketplace.

4. member-162055

The fact is the auction has 2 different end times!

If GoDaddy sides with the 1st end time, I win.

If GoDaddy is corrupt & sides with the 2nd end time, they show their true colors and face the consequences.

5. Grilled

What about the other bidder who didn't refresh their screen and also saw they were the winning bidder at a price lower than $9,000?

6. carob

carob Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

And we have several of these threads, most recently a lot about the GD app telling you you won (was that in the hemp thread?). They are not just losing bids, they are losing confidence and taking up everyone's time.

7. member-162055

Who?

Winning Bidder under $9K? How is that possible?

8. Grilled

Post the full bid log and it will be easier for me to explain.

9. carob

Likewise, I and others have found they have no interest in fixing stuff - even when it is an easy and obvious fix. Auctions at GD seem to have a particularly bad attitude, best summarised as "The customer is always wrong", and "If you don't like it, sue us." So maybe the time will come when someone with deep pockets will sue them, even if the chances of success are not high, just to flush out the problems.

You can see a long list of problems reported on their Afternic platform over the years, not a lot getting fixed there: https://www.namepros.com/threads/problems-bugs-and-fixes-at-afternic-report-problems-here.1006373/

10. member-162055

I have the taken screenshots of the full bid log, but not sure how to get them all here in order?

11. Ategy.com

Ategy.com NameCult.com Gold Account VIP

lol .. When you say it like that most would think not much of a difference.

But without going into the technical side (I'm not too keen on sharing the technical aspects of bugs for obvious security reasons .. particularly with GD .. knowing it could be an open issue literally for years) .. the problem here is that this is the extremely predictable result of a decision on how to implement a segment of the auction coding. They chose the simpler code .. mind you .. I can't rule out the fact that a more complex coding wouldn't be prone to worse issues. But to be clear .. this is something they are 100% aware of to some degree. It's been reported at least once by me (and likely dozens of times by others).

Not only that though .. this should be a known consequence of a deliberate coding decision .. something that should have actually been predicted and only implemented because the alternative was either worse, buggier, or just beyond the abilities of their team ... *OR* ... it's just something they missed because they did have a very strong algorithm/programming auditing team .. *OR* .. just really bad programmers (which I don't think is the case, but I obviously can't rule out).

I taught myself some Basic and Pascal a bazillion years ago and haven't programmed much since (aside from hacking a bit of php to customise my old forum, which is far from real coding .. lol), but it's not a coding error .. it's a algorithm/logic error. Basically it's a result of the way they chose to do something .. what they chose to do was coded properly, and this is a predictable consequence of that decision ... (if that makes any sense .. lol)

12. ecomslice

ecomslice Established Member

O boy i have promised myself to leave thread contribution , but I must add here. First sorry for your stress but if I may add, The true legal issue lays in much more. I do hope you follow onward for more than just your own restitution.

A corporation is supposedly held to this weird thing called " fair business practice " and updating available technology when so readily available versus making portfolio acquisitions and advertising/promoting their trust will never be enough to win in any fine print.

In my humble opinion i think the software issue will always be won by them.. for now, don't waste your time arguing with them or Joe, Go for the Lawyer and go for higher purpose. Disabling Level Fines for them is my promise. you make your own and I wish you well.

13. Grilled

Thanks, but I was hoping for bids closer to the $9,000 mark.

Specifically speaking to any bids that occurred in extended bidding time (extended bidding time = any bid beyond the initial projected end time). Any bidder with a high bid that occurred during extended bid time could have potentially experienced the same issue as you -- the screen showing them as the winner. Thus, they may feel entitled to the domain at a lower sales price than the actual $9,100 end price.

14. ramkumaritrvs

ramkumaritrvs RapidNames.com PRO VIP

15. carob

16. member-162055

I am prepared to spend MUCH MORE for a lawyer than I should be paying for the domain. Matter of fact, I have already reached out to a couple domain attorneys. I deal with lawyers on a daily basis so it's nothing new for me!

17. member-162055

LMAO....It's quite ironic you mentioned this because I have been considering buying the domain PoDaddy.com from GoDaddy to bring back what used to be NoDaddy.com.

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.38.06 PM.png

18. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

You can go to the best domain attorneys, godaddys tos cover them throughout, and you will find out any honest attorney will tell you that you are wasting your time. If you want to spend your money, but you need to define what is a winning online bid. Godaddy search engine will also tell you domains are available to register at reg fee, when they clearly are not. A bid history stamp outlines the timeline which flows properly. A legal bid was placed, resetting the timer, as everyone has explained the page without a manual refresh in the last seconds continues to countdown, and then shows the won message. Had you had the app open, or done a manual refresh, or checked your email box within 3 minutes all your fail safes would have showed you that you were no longer the high bidder.

The auction is not over until the confirmations are complete, and you can make payment, you got newbied on this, and the last second strategy paid off for the high bidder.

Who knows maybe the high bidder doesn’t make payment. At these levels, my guess is you were up against a true end user.

19. member-162055

From $4,483+, it's just me & Bidder 17 or rather 591395 as you can see here:
    Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.44.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.45.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.45.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.46.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.47.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.47.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.48.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.49.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.50.36 PM.png

20. Ategy.com

Ategy.com NameCult.com Gold Account VIP

A few of you have mentioned @member-162055 should have refreshed after he though he won the auction ... while that might have helped .. there is at least one circumstance where it would not have.

So while he unfortunately legitimately did not win the auction .. he most certainly is legitimately entitled to be angry .. whether he is justified in further legal action is something I really couldn't say .. but it couldn't be for the domain which was legitimately won by the other bidder, it would have to be for damages or the doctor's and pharmacist bill for his impending stress-related breakdown! :-/

I really wish I could share more specific information .. but again .. I still know of several open bugs and issues at GoDaddy .. and despite that I am a relatively happy customer (admittedly it helps when you are aware of the bugs .. and how to avoid them .. lol) .. so knowing it can sometimes take forever before things are fixed, I make it a point not to talk specifics/technicalities of bug/glitches (I recommend everyone does the same .. which definitely is not to say to not talk about them generally .. as there should be lots of that every time).

Again .. I want to stress .. I never heard of or read anything at this NoDaddy site .. and there indeed could be a small number of bad eggs at GoDaddy .. but for the most part they are good people with good intentions who genuinely do want to have a good platform for all of us to use. Their problem as I've said many times .. is similar to most big businesses and government agencies .. which is that at a certain point their size and scope prevent them from having true control over their platform .. it's a monster of it's own right .. I'll bet not a single employee really has a complete grasp of it's entirety. One fix or upgrade is made .. and initially it looks all good .. but what most miss is that it messes something up in the department next door. In fact .. I'll bet myself and a handful of other heavy users likely know more about their platform than 99% of their own employees. But again .. I want to stress that that is not an "evil" thing .. it's a very common happening in most large organisations. That being said .. they are a 10-figure company .. they definitely should be putting more resources into minimising these sort of issues .. as there probably are a few too many issues than there ought to be.

21. ramkumaritrvs

ramkumaritrvs RapidNames.com PRO VIP

Buy it from Hugedomains, so you no need to pay any commission and renewal :xf.wink:(y)

22. Grilled

23. member-162055

But GoDaddy's TOS does not & will not protect them from engaging in illegal activities or scamming their customers. Any lawyer can write a TOS that says companies can get away with breaking the law too, but that doesn't mean that they will actually get away with doing so because there are State & Federal legal rights for auctions that override GoDaddy's TOS, especially since they are legally binding, so they have to do what's legal, not whatever they want. GoDaddy and their Auctions dept is literally operating as an extreme abuse of power.

24. ecomslice

ecomslice Established Member

I agree, you have to follow the trail of expenses they have put into known software issues vrs other specific expenses they chose for their growth. you will not win this case aside from them just giving in or who knows... there is years of statements by .... employee of theirs on this forum in acknowledgment where their system is not of any benefit / fair business practice and they planned to end certain fees, or make specific changes, some up to 3 years ago, and of course nothing changed. You can only follow that trail if going legal. anything else in my humble opinion will be very difficult. I hope you read this twice and understand it, it is more sincere than you may know.

25. Grilled

What time (or at what dollar amount) was the auction originally supposed to end?

e.g. Prior to extended auction time where the clock resets when a bid is placed within 5 minutes.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice