Dynadot

GoDaddy Phishing email going out - Please be careful

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joe Styler

Aftermarket Product ManagerTop Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
We were made aware this morning by a few customers that they are getting emails claiming to be from GoDaddy that are saying that their valuable domains sold and that they should unlock them and move them to the buyer within 5 days. These emails are FAKE please be extra careful as they appear to come from [email protected] but are actually not and they also look like our email templates but the wording is inconsistent with what we would send.

We never ask you to move domains to a buyer within 5 days. I will include the full body of the email below and the subject line so you can be aware and on the lookout. Always feel free to check your "sold" section in your auctions account to confirm a sale and also to reach out to our support if you have any concerns. It is always best to be safe by double checking and we are happy to help.

Subject of fake email:

Your Domain, XXX.com, Has Sold

Body of fake email:

Congratulations! The following domain name has sold at auction:

Buyer Email : [email protected]
Item Number 185956149
XXX.com

We have confirmed the funds cleared for the domain name. Please follow the instructions and send the data within 5 days

How to proceed
1.Unlock XXX.com
2.Send to Buyer Email : Authorization code
If you have any questions, contact Customer Support:

Online Support
• Email: [email protected]
• 24/7 Support by Phone: 020 7084 1810

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thank you for letting us know :)

•••
Yikes man, thanks for the heads up....

•••
If Godaddy made security better it would be more easy to tell it was a hoax. Stop giving our main account email to the public. When I buy Expiring Domains at Godaddy Auctions it puts my main Godaddy email address in the public whois info, instead of email address I set on "Domain Registration Defaults"

•••
In past I received fake mail but that was on domain transfe, Deleted it.

Thanks for current update.

•••
We were made aware this morning by a few customers that they are getting emails claiming to be from GoDaddy that are saying that their valuable domains sold and that they should unlock them and move them to the buyer within 5 days. These emails are FAKE please be extra careful as they appear to come from [email protected] but are actually not and they also look like our email templates but the wording is inconsistent with what we would send.

We never ask you to move domains to a buyer within 5 days. I will include the full body of the email below and the subject line so you can be aware and on the lookout. Always feel free to check your "sold" section in your auctions account to confirm a sale and also to reach out to our support if you have any concerns. It is always best to be safe by double checking and we are happy to help.

Subject: Your Domain, XXX.com, Has Sold

Body of fake email:

Item Number 185956149
XXX.com

We have confirmed the funds cleared for the domain name. Please follow the instructions and send the data within 5 days

How to proceed
1.Unlock XXX.com

Online Support
Good to know-very good for newer people.

•••

Subject of fake email:

Your Domain, XXX.com, Has Sold

Body of fake email:

Item Number 185956149
XXX.com

How to proceed
1.Unlock XXX.com

Online Support

thanks for the headup ! cheers

•••
Big thanks for posting this.

I never click any link in the email from any registrar unless it triggered after my action. I will use direct link to login and check/verify the notification always..

•••
Thanks for letting us know.

Hopefully those scammers will get their fair punishment one day.

•••
Thanks for letting us know.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back