IT.COM

GoDaddy lies! What is "status 93"? What a load of manure!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
So just got off the phone with a Godaddy Rep.

Something "fishy" going on with my transfers out of Godaddy. The receiving registrar said there was an issue. Mind you the receiving registrar I have a different email address from my godaddy account. I did not check my Godaddy account email.

The transfer was blocked by Godaddy. I was advised by the receiving registrar to contact Godaddy so I did.

The Rep tried to tell me that I needed to renew my domain before I could transfer out. Horse poo.

Seriously Godaddy? Do you guys need to resort to trickery? or ommission of the truth?

Check the link below. This is the timeline for .com's at Godaddy. Up until the 18th day you can transfer out. Their website even says +19 is redemption day.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-when-my-domain-expires-609

So I ordered a transfer at a different registrar for my Godaddy domains.

So the domains in question expired 4/19/22 and some 4/20/22.

I told the rep that I was within my right to be able to transfer out but she kept saying the domains I am trying to transfer out were in Status 93.

What the heck is status 93? I assumed it was redemption. I feel embarrassed to say but I never bothered to ask "what is Status 93?"

So I felt stuck. Either renew the domain for $18.99 let the domains go into redemption at Godaddy. I mean $18.99 is not as bad as a $90 redemption but still it's the princple. I should be able to transfer out.

Finally I checked the email account associated with my Godaddy account and see emails that said all I needed to do was remove the privacy on the domains I wanted to transfer out. That was all the problem was. And then I got an alert at the receiving registrar that the domain's auth codes were incorrect. Thereby even delaying the transfer.

Something very weird going on here.

I was never asked before with my recent transfers out of Godaddy to remove privacy. Why now?

Next? The excel sheet I have now was downloaded months ago and all the auth codes on there worked for all my other domains. So why this specific list of domains ALL and I REPEAT all the auth codes are INCORRECT? I downloaded a new excel sheet for all my Godaddy domains with auth codes and the ones I submitted for these transfers were indeed not correct. The next auth codes were totally different.

What is going on here? Here's what I think.

I think since I am transferring domains out recently from Godaddy. It may have triggered this "prevent a customer from transferring out of Godaddy" automated system whereby auth codes are changed and then a new rule where domains can't be transferred out unless privacy is removed.

If someone is trying to transfer out domains from Godaddy and isn't paying attention can end up with domains going into redemption because of the delay caused by incorrect auth codes and privacy not removed.

but the real problem I have right now? is that Godaddy Reps are OUTRIGHT LYING THRU THEIR TEETH.

they say you can't transfer out BUT YOU CAN. (I DID)

So I removed the privacy just like the Godaddy email said to do.
And then downloaded a recent excel sheet with auth codes.
submitted one by one new auth codes.
and now domains are on their way to the new registrar.

AND NO I DID NOT HAVE TO RENEW MY DOMAINS to do this.

What kind of employees does Godaddy have? It's just blatant lying. Seriously.

Don't ever take a Godaddy Rep's word for it. THEY WILL TELL YOU ANYTHING JUST TO KEEP YOUR MONEY WITH THEM.

You can transfer out within 18 days after expiration.

I guess the only worry is what time zone Godaddy uses as far as tracking those 18 days. Depending on time zone you could be plus or minus a day or hours.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So Godaddy has this new rule? You can't transfer out domains with privacy on them? I literally transferred 2 hundred domains with privacy out of Godaddy and the transfers were never prevented due to privacy being on. Why all of a sudden?

godaddy privacy rule.jpg

•••
Best way to avoid all of that is to transfer out before expiration.

•••
Best way to avoid all of that is to transfer out before expiration.
exactly. Agreed Agreed but life has other plans.lol

ssshhh.jpg

I do everything last minute. Guilty. But still that shouldn't matter in this situation. You should be able to transfer out on the 18th day. PERIOD.

I mean Godaddy legally will follow thru with their rules on the 19th day for sure and hit you with redemption.

The same should apply to domains on the 18th day.

What I forgot to mention is that in my account domains seem to have three different statuses,

1.Renewable
2. Recoverable
3. Redemption

The renewable is $18.99
The recoverable seems to be same price as Redemption $90

Something odd did happen couple days ago. I had domains in the Recoverable status but they were unlocked and yes they were past the 18th day. more like the 19th and 20th and still I was able to transfer out.

Not sure if it was a glitch or the whole 18th day thing isn't really true? That you can transfer out past the 18th day without having to renew or pay redemption? Can anyone confim this?

Anyone test this out? Currently I have domains in my account in recoverable. all unlocked. and I can still get auth codes.

What is the deal here?

anyways. I figured it all out. I was able to transfer out. all I had to do was input the next auth codes I got. All the old ones were wrong. Their system must automatically change the auth codes on domains that are close to redemption or around the 18th day or 17th day. Just another way to slow you down from doing your transfers because the clock is ticking and if you don't pay attention the delays will make your domains "Stuck" at Godaddy.

I mean this new rule where you need to remove privacy before transfer? Never heard of this until now. Is this new with Godaddy?

It's very SUS to me.

•••
Many registrars makes one go through loops and hoops in order to transfer out. Notably for me, Namecheap (just one example) - one of the reasons I ceased using it.

GD still has a lot of die hard fans - for reasons I can't fathom. They might perceive it as simple? (it's not)

I use GD too, like most of us here, because I buy closeouts and get transfers in etc.

Your case is one on the edge for me (redemption etc) and while the thing aggravated you, I think you might have had problems at that point with other registrars too. Support offered a solution. It's okay if you'd ask me.

However GD still allows you to download domain list with auth codes and transfer everything in bulk, which is good for us domainers. Many other registrars don't.

Last edited:
•••
Many registrars makes one go through loops and hoops in order to transfer out. Notably for me, Namecheap (just one example) - one of the reasons I ceased using it.

GD still has a lot of die hard fans - for reasons I can't fathom. They might perceive it as simple? (it's not)

I use GD too, like most of us here, because I buy closeouts and get transfers in etc.

Your case is one on the edge for me (redemption etc) and while the thing aggravated you, I think you might have had problems at that point with other registrars too. Support offered a solution. It's okay if you'd ask me.

However GD still allows you to download domain list with auth codes and transfer everything in bulk, which is good for us domainers. Many other registrars don't.

Don't get me wrong. I am still using them as an option for cheap transfers. I just don't like when reps put me on hold for a while and I get the impression their supervisor is on the other end telling them "tell them they can't transfer out unless they renew the domain at $18. Tell them the domain is in status 93 but don't volunteer explaining what status 93 is all about. DO NOT HELP THEM BY RELEASING THE DOMAIN. If they don't check their emails to fix their own problems then that's their problem."

"The email clearly tells them all they need go do is remove privacy on the domain to proceed with transfer."

Is Godaddy being slick by changing auth codes without our knowledge? Thereby creating an unnecessary delay? In and of itself ICANN would not see it a problem but it does complicate things when you are trying to figure out what the problem is with your transfer. That plus the privacy removal rule throws a curveball into your plans.

Wasn't a problem with my other domain transfers before why all of a sudden?

Is it just Godaddy preventing you from bulk transferring out?

•••
They can also provide a fast transfer out. After they have received the other registrar's transfer request, you can approve the it within your GoDaddy account. Within 15-30 minutes, the transfer can be finalized. Another registrar required waiting 6-7 days.

Last edited:
•••
It would take the whole internet to log the idiocy and incompetence of GoDaddy. I reluctantly admit their marketplace has chops, but in the very rare case I get something there I bring it out the first possible chance. I recently transferred a few hundred old names from there and about 10% were fouled up to a significant degree (10+ hours of wasted time each over a period of many days). So over them.

The fast transfer feature is worth a try but only works if they don't have any issues with the domain. Since they specialize in issues, both real and imagined, you might want to hit the button with a garlic necklace and your fingers crossed.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back