Dynadot

domains GoDaddy Launches Payable Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
...... Now when a domain name is registered, its usefulness is no longer contingent on its owner creating a website and publishing content. Instead, domain owners can quickly start taking payments via their enabled Payable Domain. For example, if a person registers the domain of their name or business, such as www.roohshad.co, they will then receive the corresponding Payable Domain, pay.roohshad.co, to accept payments. Once that first payment is received, domain owners can then link a bank account to their GoDaddy Payments account, complete the verification process, and receive payouts for transactions just as they would with any other payments service. Payments are processed securely and efficiently, with funds deposited into users' bank accounts as early as the next business day....

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To me it just seems sketchy. I would have no confidence in it.

I have my own payment window through PayPal, have had it for years but probably used it once.

Seems like a hassle tbh.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
•••
The example page on the pay.* subdomain looks good. Nothing special, however.

The "Evolution of Domain Names" diagram in the press release is a little weird. Especially the last step, where GoDaddy claims that evolution is taking place, while I don't see this as an Evolution of Domain Names.

Good marketing, maybe.

Domain_Chart.jpg

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
@Acroplex Will you label this "100% true" in your article?

Last edited:
•••
The example page on the pay.* subdomain looks good. Nothing special, however.

The "Evolution of Domain Names" diagram in the press release is a little weird. Especially the last step, where GoDaddy claims that evolution is taking place, while I don't see this as an Evolution of Domain Names.

Good marketing, maybe.

Domain_Chart.jpg
I don't think this "innovation" really rises to the level of being on that type of chart.
Nothing happened for over a decade until GoDaddy offered this. :ROFL:

It's basically just another payment system. There are many other comparable options.
It might work for some, but this is nothing groundbreaking.

2.3% + 30 cents per online transaction. With the lowest transaction fees compared to other leading providers’, we stick up for your small business and save you money.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
...... Now when a domain name is registered, its usefulness is no longer contingent on its owner creating a website and publishing content. Instead, domain owners can quickly start taking payments via their enabled Payable Domain. For example, if a person registers the domain of their name or business, such as www.roohshad.co, they will then receive the corresponding Payable Domain, pay.roohshad.co, to accept payments. Once that first payment is received, domain owners can then link a bank account to their GoDaddy Payments account, complete the verification process, and receive payouts for transactions just as they would with any other payments service. Payments are processed securely and efficiently, with funds deposited into users' bank accounts as early as the next business day....

read more
What is roohshad.co? That seems like an odd example domain to use.

Brad

•••
I'm guessing GoDaddy wants a 15% cut of this too?

•••
They basically link GoDaddy Payments "forcefully" for every registration. So in the past, you had the option to not use GoDaddy Payments - now, every new domain gets a hot subdomain at "pay." and once a payment is made via it, will activate the rest of the process. It's a brilliant move, truth be told, to provide an instant method for payments via the GD platform. Now, the obvious question: Can you delete the subdomain, and can you disable that automatic subdomain creation via an option in your panel? My gut feeling: Nope. Summoning @James Iles for further details.

Last edited:
•••
This service will have to compete with Masterbucks 🍿

•••
This service will have to compete with Masterbucks 🍿
Between this and Masterbucks, Paypal is doomed. :ROFL:

I mean I could see this being useful for people, it is just not some major innovation.

There are many other options like Paypal, Stripe, Square, etc.

I would like to see more information, including a TOS involving things like chargebacks.

Brad

•••
•••
Later they will charge 25% if we use paypal.com.

•••
It's not major innovation but probably going to be useful for a lot of people. People can do it already on their own but with it automatically setup, might get more into accepting those type of payments.

I imagine even some domainers here will start having it as an option for payments in the sales threads here.

I remember signing up for Stripe but not following thru. Needed to better understand chargebacks and such.

•••
I remember signing up for Stripe but not following thru. Needed to better understand chargebacks and such.
Same.

It is the main reason that I am only willing to take Paypal (or similar) for low dollar payments or from trusted parties. Chargebacks can be a major issue, especially with digital assets like domains.

Brad

•••
I'm not a fan of GoDaddy, I've never registered a name there, but I think this is a good idea. I can see this being quite successful as an easy and quick way to pay.

•••
Godaddy is the go to for mom & pop businesses so this is perfect for them - all in all a pile of Dog sh&t for people who know what they doing, but for the average small business I suppose it could be helpful.....

Another revenue stream for Godaddy that helps pay for those future acquisitions.....

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
In addition, small business owners can customize their Payable Domain with their company logo, product images, cost of their products or services, or other branded content to create a seamless checkout experience and maintain a personal and professional look.

Is there a working demo with any of these features in use? @James Iles

The example GoDaddy gave is very limited. It seems if you are advertising these features, they should be showcased.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Back