Dynadot

GoDaddy ever Front Run you? Someone did it to me (I think)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MobyOne

Established Member
Impact
-I have an email with a receipt showing I bought a domain, it's an NFT related domain, from GoDaddy.

-6 minutes later I got an email from GoDaddy saying:

"This is the error message we got from the registry: The domain has already been registered in another account

We'll look into why this happened and try to fix it. But if we're still unable to register the domain, we'll go ahead and give you a refund (allow one business day for processing). "

-I checked the ICANN registry and the domain was registered 5 minutes AFTER I received my receipt saying I bought it.

-It was registered to Domains by Proxy, LLC. a GoDaddy owned company.

Anybody else ever have this happen? I called customer service at GoDaddy and he got his two superiors involved and none of them had ever seen it or could explain what happened. They referred me to GoDaddy Legal. I'm hoping to hear back from my attorney tomorrow.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this?

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some one is probably hacking your pc. I have talked of front running but also had my fair share of attacks.

Last edited:
•••
I use godaddy but never get like this

•••
Front running is quite an accusation, I don't think that's the case

They want to buy the domain before you / act on it (front run), to then sell it back to you at a premium (or other plan), even though they've said they will attempt to fix it, and in the meantime offer you a full refund ...doesn't stack up

its an error of some sort, or someone just got there (it happens, even though you may find it an extraordinary coincidence)

Last edited:
•••
Was it dropping domain (just released?). If so, somebody might pre-order it with GoDaddy backorder. Their backorders are not perfect, some folks reported that they were able to handreg elsewhere (while GD was still trying to fullfill the backorder).

•••
I don't know about front running but I know that for a .CO name that had dropped and I won at their auctions they were unable to get me the domain.... it still hasn't been renewed to this day and the lander says "Renew now". Quite perculiar.

Last edited:
•••
Delete cookies, cache scan ports malware antivirus clean pc reformat..

•••
Isn't "Domains by Proxy, LLC. a GoDaddy owned company." just what it says....a proxy service, the domain is probably not even owned by them, just being used by someone for Whois privacy.......

Yet ANOTHER misleading, slanderous thread title.......

•••
That happened to me as well. You check some domains in bulk with GoDaddy, go to the Appraisal section, let it think thru (a hand-reg!) , after a few hours the top appraisal amongst all the checks was taken. Rest were not touched. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

•••
I appreciate the feedback. I would understand the hacking situation if it was actually bought before me, but it wasn't. I didn't search and leave it, so it wasn't someone monitoring my searches. I found it and immediately made the purchase. The receipt shows the $.018 they charged to run the ICANN registry check when the order was processed. The domain was registered 5 minutes LATER.

Even the GoDaddy rep said he'd never seen it and neither had his two superiors. I was on the phone with them for 33 minutes and 54 seconds and almost none of it was me on hold. It was them trying to figure it out and not wanting me to hang up until they found an answer. They were as perplexed as me, he even said that because of the way the system works, it's not possible for it to happen the way it's being explained. They said the only thing that makes sense at all is that someone else ordered it at or near the same time and then all of the orders went through in one batch (which is why it happened 5 minutes after the order), but in that case the GoDaddy rules state that the domain then goes to a private auction involving only the parties that ordered the domain in question. That didn't happen, they just gave it to the other person and refunded me. That's the most realistic scenario they could come up with and even that didn't work the way it was supposed to.

I know frontrunning is a serious accusation, but they've been accused of it a lot. Where there is smoke there is usually fire and they may have finally left a smoking gun.

I could be wrong, but with all that smoke isn't it possible they saw the domain name, had 5 minutes to check and see that I just bought my first domain about a month or so ago, I'm not a sophisticated buyer, I'm just some guy from Arkansas who probably won't even question it. The bottom line is ICANN shows it was created after I ordered it and basically by the same company I ordered it from. It's not like it went to someone at another provider, it went to a GoDaddy controlled account.

Last edited:
•••
I'd suggest that 99% of the time, these are simply system issues and that no one is trying to front run, or rip you off.

•••
Check time date of whois they can't back register it etc.

Last edited:
•••
Not everything available is available some are taken and just show sometimes available when you look later you see not first.

•••
I don’t know why anyone registers, checks valuation etc at GoDaddy. Don’t even check the value tool unless you are seconds from buying or allready bought. Glitchiest site and worse customer service.

•••
I would rather pay per few names than to load up cart for hours anywhere.

•••
-I checked the ICANN registry and the domain was registered 5 minutes AFTER I received my receipt saying I bought it.
This makes it all suspicious... Hope you will have the domain as you registered it first.

•••
Post the actual domain. If you didn't end up getting it, what do you have to lose?

Otherwise we are just getting allegations without any evidence.

Brad

•••
A few years ago I was doing some basic availability searches on a registrar (i forget which to be honest) and came across a few amazing names that were available for hand reg. I instantly jumped at the chance, added them to my cart, and checked out. A few hours later an email came through saying the amount was refunded to my card. The domains were obviously registered, yet there was some glitch in their software. I kind of had a feeling this is what would happen, but i had to checkout just to be safe. Maybe i would get lucky. Anyways, software glitches happen. Let it go.

•••
I don’t know why anyone registers, checks valuation etc at GoDaddy. Don’t even check the value tool unless you are seconds from buying or allready bought. Glitchiest site and worse customer service.
I use namebright and name.com everyday for hundreds of thousands of searches and never had this issue, but when I use godaddy even for 5% of that volume, always some freshly registered domains smell like front running, but it seems that nobody cares. Now, with this epik issue, everybody has something to say, even if 80% of them are not epik customers( and most of them never used them)...I don't defend epik, probably I will leave them too, but the way peoples are handling this is not professional at all. So, you have issues like front running, domains taken hostage, refunds after months and other 49 bugs, but they are still the best(when a bad thread about godaddy pops up, hardly receives any views and replies) . That discount club has to bee stellar, to keep everybody quiet in their place.

•••
I see many accusations against GoDaddy, but as usual they are light on the facts.

More than likely the domain was already taken, and the system showed it was available in error. That happens all the time. It is usually an issue with connecting to databases, not some nefarious thing.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I see many accusations against GoDaddy, but as usual they are light on the facts.

More than likely the domain was already taken, and the system showed it was available in error. That happens all the time. It is usually an issue with connecting to databases, not some nefarious thing.

Brad
So, even the godaddy tech guys are saying that they can't explain it but you are saying that 'more than likely' is some kind a basic error....this is what I was talking about and I bet that I can find at least another 50-100 threads like these with serious issues about godaddy and which 'more than likely' were ignored because we all know, godaddy is a Saint.

•••
So, even the godaddy tech guys are saying that they can't explain it but you are saying that 'more than likely' is some kind a basic error....this is what I was talking about and I bet that I can find at least another 50-100 threads like these with serious issues about godaddy and which 'more than likely' were ignored because we all know, godaddy is a Saint.

Hearsay. Post the actual domain.

If you are going to make allegations the burden is on you to establish them.

Otherwise all we have are just vague allegations without any actual evidence.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Hearsay. Post the actual domain.

If you are going to make allegations the burden is on you to establish them.

Otherwise all we have are just vague allegations without any actual evidence.

Brad
The same story was a few months ago with the guy beginning for a refund of 2k months after they could not deliver the domain he bought, with the millions worth of domains that they seized without any rights and I could go on and on...always the same story, either ignore the thread or say something like, 'we should wait for godaddy to comment and correct the error'. When it happened to me so many times, I don't make anymore any allegations, I just don't use them anymore, to bad for the one's who didn't knew this stuff before they used them( like the OP in this case) because the other hundreds of threads like this were not seen, because they had only a few replies and were buried in minutes.

•••
The same story was a few months ago with the guy beginning for a refund of 2k months after they could not deliver the domain he bought, with the millions worth of domains that they seized without any rights and I could go on and on...always the same story, either ignore the thread or say something like, 'we should wait for godaddy to comment and correct the error'. When it happened to me so many times, I don't make anymore any allegations, I just don't use them anymore, to bad for the one's who didn't knew this stuff before they used them( like the OP in this case) because the other hundreds of threads like this were not seen, because they had only a few replies and were buried in minutes.

Please tag me if anyone presents any actual evidence to look at when it comes to frontrunning.

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
Please tag me if anyone presents any actual evidence to look at when it comes to frontrunning.

Thanks.
Actual evidence? Excluding the fact that a guy is using godaddy to seach/appraise a domain and in 2-10-20 minutes is registered by godaddy with whois privacy and it happens over and over again, what evidence could a guy give you? So, you are waiting for somebody to hack godaddy system to show you an actual evidence? If that will be done in 100 years, than godaddy can rest in peace, they can frontrun everybody, in lack of actual evidence.

Last edited:
•••
Back