IT.COM

GoDaddy domain stolen

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi ,

Today I received emails from the Godaddy that my domain name was transfer out to another registrar.
But I didn't authorize this transfer. I didn't receive any requests regarding this transfer.
Somebody stole my domain name from my the Godaddy account.

My email address has OTP enabled. No chance somebody else had access to my email.

Need help. Any ideas ?

Regards.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Afternic has many domains that have dropped, or been sold thru auctions listed in wrong accounts, if they remain with godaddy, and are part of the fast transfer process, I don't know what the fail safe is for such procedures when a sale happens, and the domain sits in the wrong parties account, but at godaddy as a register?

•••
@keepsmile - any updates? Hoping the best for you : smile :

•••
•••
Hi Guys,

Happy to say my question has been resolved.
Thank you all for support and advices.
Thank you @Michael Ehrhardt and @Acroplex !

Special thanks to @Joe Styler . Great person and professional.

All the best.

Regards,
V.

•••
I'm glad to hear your problem is sorted. It would be nice to know exactly how this happened, and even better to know that the error has been fixed and it won't happen to others.

•••
It should not happen to anyone going forward.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Sorry just getting back from Namescon. That domain turned out to be sold as a GoDaddy Premium. :)

•••
Sorry just getting back from Namescon. That domain turned out to be sold as a GoDaddy Premium. :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understood from that thread, the domain was sold as a GoDaddy Premium however the payment went to the previous owner of the domain not the seller.

•••
Hi,

I received an e-mail from GoDaddy notify me that the domain (tululu.com) registrant had been changed. I immediately logged in my Godaddy account and found that tululu.com was not longer in my domain control pannel. I did not do it, That operation did not get my permission. The domain name is really mine. In April 2011, i transferred that domain name from Yahoo(as a domain agent of Melbourne IT) to Godaddy,and from then on,I used my credit card to renew it every year. All of the informations can be found in my credit card transaction records. In addition, the registrant email in whois is still mine .

•••
ETA - OK not sure if you are real or not or if you are fabricating posts

ETA2 - your claim of the GD name above has nothing in common with the whois of the name in your sig so my guess is you are padding

Last edited:
•••
It looks like there may be a very serious flaw in Afternic in terms of reconciling Afternic seller accounts and Godaddy registrant accounts. This isn't the first instance of a name selling via an account on Afternic and then being removed form a unrelated account on Godaddy. If this is a bug it's a very serious one, and one I have a feeling that registrants cannot deflect.

It looks like Person A adds name to Afternic. Person B adds same name later, and opts into Fast Transfer. Person B subsequently removes name from Afternic. Person A then sells name, but the domain is fast transferred from Person B. To my eye it appears that removing your name from Afternic isn't clearing out any prior opt-in to Fast Transfer. That is really worrying.

@Joe Styler I removed all my names from Afternic a year or more ago. I also went into my various GD accounts and manually unchecked Afternic Premium listings. However, I'm actually very afraid now that what's happening is entirely independent of settings in my account. It would be helpful if Godaddy could be more transparent with what the issue is and how it has been remedied. How are domains being sold by one individual on Afternic and then fast-transferred from an entirely different individual's account on Godaddy?

•••
I think Godaddy needs to get somebody over here to comment in all these threads.

Is it worth starting a new thread to list all the current GD problems and disputes?

•••
It looks like there may be a very serious flaw in Afternic in terms of reconciling Afternic seller accounts and Godaddy registrant accounts. This isn't the first instance of a name selling via an account on Afternic and then being removed form a unrelated account on Godaddy. If this is a bug it's a very serious one, and one I have a feeling that registrants cannot deflect.

It looks like Person A adds name to Afternic. Person B adds same name later, and opts into Fast Transfer. Person B subsequently removes name from Afternic. Person A then sells name, but the domain is fast transferred from Person B. To my eye it appears that removing your name from Afternic isn't clearing out any prior opt-in to Fast Transfer. That is really worrying.

@Joe Styler I removed all my names from Afternic a year or more ago. I also went into my various GD accounts and manually unchecked Afternic Premium listings. However, I'm actually very afraid now that what's happening is entirely independent of settings in my account. It would be helpful if Godaddy could be more transparent with what the issue is and how it has been remedied. How are domains being sold by one individual on Afternic and then fast-transferred from an entirely different individual's account on Godaddy?
You cannot have a domain move out of your account Person B in your example without opting into the fast transfer program. There are checks in place including a live check at the time of the sale and a check when the name changes account at the registrar of record, So Person A no longer owns the domain it is automatically removed from the Network. What seems to have happened is the person listed it in multiple places, the owner of the domain and it sold via one of those channels, GoDaddy Premium. Which again can only happen if the seller opts in to the Godaddy premium sale. You cannot do that unless the domain name is active in your GoDaddy account and if it leaves the account (or expires) it is removed. Seems like this is just the seller selling somewhere they listed it for sale. Also we send emails to let you know it sold and you should be notified via email as well. Perhaps this went to spam or something.

•••
Hi,

I received an e-mail from GoDaddy notify me that the domain (tululu.com) registrant had been changed. I immediately logged in my Godaddy account and found that tululu.com was not longer in my domain control pannel. I did not do it, That operation did not get my permission. The domain name is really mine. In April 2011, i transferred that domain name from Yahoo(as a domain agent of Melbourne IT) to Godaddy,and from then on,I used my credit card to renew it every year. All of the informations can be found in my credit card transaction records. In addition, the registrant email in whois is still mine .

Right now, the whois info on Godaddy Tululu.com is showing:

Domain Name: TULULU.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1558809412_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Update Date: 2016-07-04T07:33:16Z
Creation Date: 2009-06-11T02:25:08Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-06-11T02:25:08Z
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: my boy
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: beijing
Registrant City: fengtai
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code: 065007
Registrant Country: CN
Registrant Phone: +86.1234567890
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: my boy
Admin Organization:
Admin Street: beijing
Admin City: fengtai
Admin State/Province:
Admin Postal Code: 065007
Admin Country: CN
Admin Phone: +86.1234567890
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: [email protected]
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: my boy
Tech Organization:
Tech Street: beijing
Tech City: fengtai
Tech State/Province:
Tech Postal Code: 065007
Tech Country: CN
Tech Phone: +86.1234567890
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax:
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: [email protected]
Name Server: NS71.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server: NS72.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2017-02-06T17:00:00Z <<<

The, "update," date is 2016-07-04T07:33:16Z.

Interestingly, on Domaintools, the Update date is:

Created on 2009-06-11 - Expires on 2017-06-11 - Updated on 2016-08-01

Instead of July 4th, it shows August 1st, 2016. It makes it apear that you didn't renew last year. Do you have your receipt for 2016?

•••
I see you posted back in August:
My domain name was stolen by someone from my Godaddy account
https://www.godaddy.com/Managing-Do...-by-someone-from-my-Godaddy-account/td-p/6166

Then what you said, above, no longer applies, about your email address.
Please, try and be accurate!

•••
This looks like a new version of scam or theft. I recently receiving emails about accepting opt-in Afternic fast transfer for some of my names registered at Godaddy. In the beginning I though that those emails were mistakes, a careless user or software related mistakes and I ignored that mails. But now I know they are targeting my domains. If I accept opt-in someone else can sell my domains at Afternic and my domains will fly out of my account. So NP users should beware of this type of thefts.

Here the problem looks like a security flaw. When you disable fast-transfer at Afternic it is not enough for a complete opt-out . You have to opt-out also at your Godaddy account manager at domain settings otherwise your domains will be still waiting for a fast Afternic transfer. In this case, removing all names from Afternic also gave the thief the chance of adding those domain to the Afternic account and selling it there initiates the fast transfer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back