IT.COM

GoDaddy daily domain searches

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Anyone know how many customers show up daily at Godaddy.com and search for an available domain name? To narrow it down even more I would like to know individual searches on the home page and not including bulk searches. Trying to determine how useful premium listings really can be.

@Joe Styler or @Paul Nicks can you help out with this. Thanks so much

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We do not release that. We do say how many monthly searches our larger Afternic partner Network gets which includes over 100 registrars, that number is 75 million.

•••
We do not release that. We do say how many monthly searches our larger Afternic partner Network gets which includes over 100 registrars, that number is 75 million.
This information is not helpful, considering that Afternic partner network consists of 10s of registrars. That won't give any reasonable idea of how useful Godaddy premium listing is. And if people are paying for the premium listing, I think they deserve to know what they are paying for.

You can't keep your traffic stat secret and still charge people for the traffic they don't know anything about. If I want to buy ads on Facebook, Facebook will tell me how many people I'm gonna reach with my budget. Same with Google, Twitter, and every other responsible websites selling ads. But not with domain marketplaces.

It is safe to say that platforms like Godaddy, Sedo, Flippa, and etc are capitalizing on ignorance and desperation to rip domainers.

Last edited:
•••
There's a big difference. We aren't charging you anything unless it sells. Facebook etc charge you to show your ad, we do not charge you to show your domain. We only charge you if it sells.
If you feel like platforms are capitalizing on ignorance, I'm not sure you understand the benefits of a network correctly, but you are always free to utilize your own sales channels.
We put a considerable amount of effort and resources behind selling domain names for our customers on a daily basis.

•••
@Joe Styler I am really not talking about your Afternic partner network sales strategy. As a matter of fact, partner network is one of the best domain sales strategy. I am talking about featured listings and promoted auctions at Godaddy.com just like the other marketplaces I mentioned.

Charging for featured listings and promoted auctions with zero knowledge of the traffic that comes to that page is to me not acceptable. Flippa for example will take $200+ for a featured listing on the home page, only to have the listing down and out of the homepage (sometimes) within hours.

Last edited:
•••
@dande .. I'd agree with you *IF* you had to pay like you need to do on Flippa. But I think the key point you're missing here is that getting your domain marked as "Premium" does not cost anything at GoDaddy. EVERY domain that any reseller/domainer lists at GoDaddy is labelled "Premium" automatically regardless of quality (which is a different conversation .. lol).

You might need to pay the $5 fee to join GoDaddy auctions (I'm not even 100% sure on that), but that would effectively allow you to list an unlimited number of domains per year as "Premium" domains. In fact, I'm pretty sure all you need is list them and they will automatically be labelled "Premium".
(Please correct me if I'm wrong @Joe Styler or @Paul Nicks)

•••
yup, @Ategy.com is right, the word "premium" with regards to GoDaddy search is how we alert the potential buyer that the domain is not a standard price. So, new gTLDs that are in higher cost tiers or Aftermarket names are all shown as "premium"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back