IT.COM

news GoDaddy buys dnAcademy

NameSilo
Watch
Just saw a Twitter post from @Paul Nicks that GoDaddy has bought dnAcademy! Big congrats to Mike Cyger (@Michael Cyger) and GoDaddy!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Client base wasn't a part of this sale unfortunately, so I really do wonder what will GoDaddy do with the lifetime members (I am also one of them..)

I use some of the tools on the platform very often and do my valuations on there.

•••
Last edited:
•••
GD can buy much but there is a domain name that even they can't buy.
Agree, there are such domain names, that even if GoDaddy sells its businesses no money will help them buy those domains.

•••
Agree, there are such domain names, that even if GoDaddy sells its businesses no money will help them buy those domains.

I didn't wrote "domain names" (plural), I wrote "domain name" (singular) and this is a critical difference.

•••
Hopefully Mike Cyger does an interview on DomainSherpa telling us how the GoDaddy deal went thru.
Mike Cyger deserves it…he is the best!!!
Maybe mike will buy back sherpa so they can start talking about domains again, and JT ,aka Mr clean ,that the best fit ,,,is shep part of the package?

Last edited:
•••
that was the exit strategy from day 1.
good for him. would be interesting to know how many multiples it was acquired for.

•••
@Samer

As long as the owner of an asset says no, there is no chance for any entity to purchase the owner's asset.
Exactly! Money talks. Everyone has a price. My point was they are (too) huge! I admire your perseverance. Now can we please keep it to Godaddy BUYING EVERYONE. I love m&a, and Cyger’s DnAcademy, so I admit, am ambivalent. best is they kept putting good content.

From DomainSherpa to DNAcademy, i’ve followed Michael Cyger, through the years, his work; and all his contributions to the industry, priceless.

Thanks @Michael Cyger!

Last edited:
•••

Like Cars, Home, Properties, X, Bitcoin, Voice.com

Virtually unbuyable

•••
•••
Maybe mike will buy back sherpa so they can start talking about domains again, and JT ,aka Mr clean ,that the best fit ,,,is shep part of the package?
They're not going to lose their NFT /Crypto audience by returning to talking pure domains.

Also, Michael seems interested in handshake names, so even if he bought it back, there's no guarantee he would return to the same domain topics he covered years before.

•••
Hi

my question would be, why?

why would a registrar buy a domain school?
is it a counter-offensive, to another registrar who also has domain learning tool?
will they structure and steer, to increase GD registrations?

i'm anticipating a change to gd appraisal tool, perhaps charging a fee or limiting usage.

they know something.

imo...

•••
Everyone has a price.

Not everyone, maybe 99 %, the rest either doesn't need money anymore or prefers to live a modest life.

I admire your perseverance.

It's not that hard when you own a domain name that backs up all of your claims.

Now can we please keep it to Godaddy BUYING EVERYONE.

You are you, I am I - so feel free to keep it to that, I'll keep to my own mind which seems to be quite the opposite - namely that GD can only buy what others agree to sell.

I love m&a, and Cyger’s DnAcademy, so I admit, am ambivalent.

I did not find anything about a certain domain name on DNA (not a member) so I don't get your ambivalation.

From DomainSherpa to DNAcademy, i’ve followed Michael Cyger, through the years, his work; and all his contributions to the industry, priceless.

Well, I admire your perseverance - however, GD's purchase confirms that it wasn't priceless as it (the result (DNA)) was bought for an (publicly unknown) price.

Last edited:
•••
Like Cars, Home, Properties, X, Bitcoin, Voice.com

Virtually unbuyable

A(t a certain point (offer), a)ll buyable domain names ... 100 % ... even Musk's one.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

is it a counter-offensive, to another registrar who also has domain learning tool?

i'm anticipating a change to gd appraisal tool, perhaps charging a fee or limiting usage.

they know something.

imo...

Well Michael Cyger will be director of education, so
Hi

they know something.

imo...

GoDaddy will prob amalgamate their appraisal tool with DN Academies.

They'll prob then buy up Nameworth, DN Prices and Estibot to horde the best tech and put it into a super appraisal mixer named after a historic figure like Rembrandt / Newton / Pythagoras (trademarked).

•••
Cool, he is going to the kindergarten to tech the kids about domains or maybe the kids will teach him...

Domaining will be part of the must have study curriculum in schools and every student will have to get A+ to graduate plus own at least 10+ domains

Last edited:
•••
Certainly big news. Thanks for starting a thread to discuss it, @hawkeye .

While we don't know the terms, it is nice to see all his excellent work rewarded.

It clearly is a win for GoDaddy, both directly the educational value and to be associated with such a quality product.

I think though, as valuable as DNAcademy is, of even more value is bringing on @Michael Cyger as a full-time (as I understand it) employee as Director of Education. He brings broad and deep knowledge of all aspects of domains, a logical and analytical approach, and incredible communication skills. But even more than that, just because he is such a good person, he has more positive presence within our community than anyone else I can think of.

I hope that DNAcademy content will not be influenced by the fact it is now owned by GD. That is my one concern with too many aspects of domain investing within one company.

Bob

•••
i see too many things bought by godaddy and I don't like this...
not just with godaddy but i don't like when a company become too big and start buying everything in a niche. healthy competitions is necessary

•••
i see too many things bought by godaddy and I don't like this...
not just with godaddy but i don't like when a company become too big and start buying everything in a niche. healthy competitions is necessary

It's up to the competition (Dynadot, Namecheap, Sedo etc) to continuously up their game so that GoDaddy doesn't rest on their laurels.

No competition = market leader complacency.

•••
•••
A(t a certain point (offer), a)ll buyable domain names ... 100 % ... even Musk's one.

GD have more chance buying ELON.com and selling it to Musk than buying the names I mentioned.

•••
Certainly big news. Thanks for starting a thread to discuss it, @hawkeye .

While we don't know the terms, it is nice to see all his excellent work rewarded.

It clearly is a win for GoDaddy, both directly the educational value and to be associated with such a quality product.

I think though, as valuable as DNAcademy is, of even more value is bringing on @Michael Cyger as a full-time (as I understand it) employee as Director of Education. He brings broad and deep knowledge of all aspects of domains, a logical and analytical approach, and incredible communication skills. But even more than that, just because he is such a good person, he has more positive presence within our community than anyone else I can think of.

I hope that DNAcademy content will not be influenced by the fact it is now owned by GD. That is my one concern with too many aspects of domain investing within one company.

Bob

Would not be surprised if GoDaddy starts eyeing up Rally Rd as it's next target to corner the fractional space and modify DN Academy to incorporate this new element of domain investing.

•••
Hi

here's some coincidental history for ya

dncollege started by adam dicker, who also at one time was GD exec
dnacademy regged in 2011, during same year dncollege was in effect
now GD got dnacademy and Cyger is GD exec

and it all started, where?

imo...

•••
•••
The problem is not Godaddy. The problem is the lack of industry regulation. While there is generic law but no specific domain name industry regulation Godaddy and whoever else has carte blanche to do pretty much whatever they want. Godaddy are what they are, and most of us know exactly what that is. Only a matter of time before regulation and change comes to the industry. In the mean-time profiteers will do what they do best. Make profits.

Last edited:
•••
GD have more chance buying ELON.com and selling it to Musk than buying the names I mentioned.

That's possible of course - but it does not make the domain names you mentioned unbuyable nor does it make a certain (non - "com" -) domain name buyable for GD (or for Elon Musk (or any other billionaire (or secret trillionaire))) and one can assume that DNA (GD) will (continue to) avoid teaching the latter (which I can totally understand as it would mean they would have to "admit" that "com" is not "top").

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back