Dynadot

news GoDaddy buys dnAcademy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just saw a Twitter post from @Paul Nicks that GoDaddy has bought dnAcademy! Big congrats to Mike Cyger (@Michael Cyger) and GoDaddy!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nokta domains sells their great portfolio...and now this.
This is the beginning of domain industry collapse.
More like consolidation.
GoDaddy buys more and more to cement its position as the dominant player by:

- Buying Namecheap, Sedo, Dan, Park.io, Brandbucket and Squadhelp to snuff out competition
- Buying Huge Domains, Buy Domains and Domain Market
- Buying.xyz registry and all Swetha's portfolio
- Buying all of Rick Schwartz's portfolio
- Buying all Blockchain extensions
- Buying The .nft .meta and .Omni extensions
- Buying all dropcatching software used by other dropcatchers and registries
- Buying Opensea and Rarible
- Buying the handshake registry
- Buying DN Journal
- Buying Namebio
- Buying all domain-related podcasts
- Buying all media agencies and freelance sites to boost its offering to end users
- Buying Domaingang for its entertainment division

And finally...

- Buying NamePros

Cue dreaded laugher and moustache twirling

•••
Nokta domains sells their great portfolio...and now this.
This is the beginning of domain industry collapse.
Yes, I can tell that from the hundreds of domain sales in the last week or two on DNJournal.com alone.

•••
i see too many things bought by godaddy and I don't like this...
not just with godaddy but i don't like when a company become too big and start buying everything in a niche. healthy competitions is necessary

•••
I am a DN Academy student (member) purchased life membership last year, and just finished undertaking the recent accelerator program offered to DN Academy students. Just about to finish the course requirements in a day or so. I study from Australia and have found Mike to be a very humble, knowledgeable and generous man. In recent times I have had some health and family issues and Mike has been very accommodating with allowing time and assistance with me finalizing the course material.

I have undertaken some short so called domaining courses in the past from some different individuals and these are nothing compared to the DN Academy syllabus. I can only attribute my recent success and sales because of Mike, DN Academy, and also the other awesome instructors Jason, Keith and Aline. All top shelf individuals.

I hope Mike made a killing on the sale and earns a huge salary at GD. He deserves it!

Last edited:
•••
•••
GD is the worst. I'm sure they will increase fees to cover the costs of this acquisition.

•••
Hi

my question would be, why?

why would a registrar buy a domain school?
is it a counter-offensive, to another registrar who also has domain learning tool?
will they structure and steer, to increase GD registrations?

i'm anticipating a change to gd appraisal tool, perhaps charging a fee or limiting usage.

they know something.

imo...

•••
•••
Hopefully Mike Cyger does an interview on DomainSherpa telling us how the GoDaddy deal went thru.
Mike Cyger deserves it…he is the best!!!
Maybe mike will buy back sherpa so they can start talking about domains again, and JT ,aka Mr clean ,that the best fit ,,,is shep part of the package?

Last edited:
•••
Certainly big news. Thanks for starting a thread to discuss it, @hawkeye .

While we don't know the terms, it is nice to see all his excellent work rewarded.

It clearly is a win for GoDaddy, both directly the educational value and to be associated with such a quality product.

I think though, as valuable as DNAcademy is, of even more value is bringing on @Michael Cyger as a full-time (as I understand it) employee as Director of Education. He brings broad and deep knowledge of all aspects of domains, a logical and analytical approach, and incredible communication skills. But even more than that, just because he is such a good person, he has more positive presence within our community than anyone else I can think of.

I hope that DNAcademy content will not be influenced by the fact it is now owned by GD. That is my one concern with too many aspects of domain investing within one company.

Bob

•••
Yes, I can tell that from the hundreds of domain sales in the last week or two on DNJournal.com alone.
And that a big entity like GoDaddy is still interested in informing the public about the domain trade.

•••
well I worked hard on my folio 7yrs.. its seriously decent.. just few bitcoins dear daddy and she yours

•••
GD is the worst. I'm sure they will increase fees to cover the costs of this acquisition.

Plus add some kind of paywall on the site after one reads two free log posts a month.

•••
Agree, there are such domain names, that even if GoDaddy sells its businesses no money will help them buy those domains.

Like Cars, Home, Properties, X, Bitcoin, Voice.com

Virtually unbuyable

•••
•••
A(t a certain point (offer), a)ll buyable domain names ... 100 % ... even Musk's one.

GD have more chance buying ELON.com and selling it to Musk than buying the names I mentioned.

•••
Hi

here's some coincidental history for ya

dncollege started by adam dicker, who also at one time was GD exec
dnacademy regged in 2011, during same year dncollege was in effect
now GD got dnacademy and Cyger is GD exec

and it all started, where?

imo...

•••
Hi

is it a counter-offensive, to another registrar who also has domain learning tool?

i'm anticipating a change to gd appraisal tool, perhaps charging a fee or limiting usage.

they know something.

imo...

Well Michael Cyger will be director of education, so
Hi

they know something.

imo...

GoDaddy will prob amalgamate their appraisal tool with DN Academies.

They'll prob then buy up Nameworth, DN Prices and Estibot to horde the best tech and put it into a super appraisal mixer named after a historic figure like Rembrandt / Newton / Pythagoras (trademarked).

•••
Hopefully Mike Cyger does an interview on DomainSherpa telling us how the GoDaddy deal went thru.
Mike Cyger deserves it…he is the best!!!

•••
Certainly big news. Thanks for starting a thread to discuss it, @hawkeye .

While we don't know the terms, it is nice to see all his excellent work rewarded.

It clearly is a win for GoDaddy, both directly the educational value and to be associated with such a quality product.

I think though, as valuable as DNAcademy is, of even more value is bringing on @Michael Cyger as a full-time (as I understand it) employee as Director of Education. He brings broad and deep knowledge of all aspects of domains, a logical and analytical approach, and incredible communication skills. But even more than that, just because he is such a good person, he has more positive presence within our community than anyone else I can think of.

I hope that DNAcademy content will not be influenced by the fact it is now owned by GD. That is my one concern with too many aspects of domain investing within one company.

Bob

Would not be surprised if GoDaddy starts eyeing up Rally Rd as it's next target to corner the fractional space and modify DN Academy to incorporate this new element of domain investing.

•••

Great question. Here’s 10 upvotes. Not saying this isnt a shrewd acquisition, especially for GD, but the worst are undisclosed figures.

The good news is Godaddy is a public company (GDDY) all will be revealed : )

It’s worth noting, i have DNAcademy, they are the one and only true originals, phenomenal product, just like Cyger, who’s as humble as they come.

Last edited:
•••
I wonder if they'll buy Domain Sherpa, NamesCon and Estibot next and roll all these into a GoDaddy media and analytics division.

•••
•••
GD can buy much but there is a domain name that even they can't buy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back