Dynadot

GoDaddy beat me to it!

NameSilo
Watch

keygold

Established Member
Impact
Hello all. Iam new to this forum. Without further ado let me go into what happened. Basically iam a newb. And i didnt know godaddy tracks your searches. In any event i lost out on many domain names supercarrentals,hypercarrental and Jamaicatours and condorgroup. Believe it or not there are still great domains out there for next to nothing. Dont believe what people tell you that. All the dot coms are bought out. Anyhow...I typed them in thought about it. And left it for a day. Only to type them in again. And see they are taken. And not for sale. So be careful i just started this week. And could of made some moolah of those names. So watch out for godaddy.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
lol

I was new once! This is not anything new. But I don't believe now that Godaddy is the one actually REGISTERING these domains. on thee other hand I do believe they use your searches and offers them to all their users.

basically. WE become the AI for Godaddy.

So imagine if you found a great domain but don't regged it? and just so happens someone halfway around the world is looking for a domain but their's is taken? Godaddy will check and say "hey this guy in New Jersey USA just tried to reg this domain with similar keyword but did not reg it. let's offer this suggestion to this other registrant who is having a hard time pick a good domain that's available."

Ever wonder where those "great suggestions" come from? I've regged domains that were "suggested" to me by the "ai" of different registrars.

I mean even whois.com will "suggest" domains for me when I go check for the whois of certain domains and based on the keywords of my searches. They "suggest" domains for me. Usually since they have the "BUY NOW" button next to them. I assume they are all aftermarket. but would you believe some are free to reg?

moral? always use the address bar above to check if a domain is registered or not. or use a private service that you can pay for that makes sure your searches are private and not "offered as suggestion" to other users.

•••
Look up “domain name front running”

it’s actually a conspiracy, one that I believe in.

If you cant spend the $8 ($18 Godaddy’s case if not in GD “Discount Club”) deserve to lose it

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Most times when you see this type of post the OP is confused.

GoDaddy does not steal domain searches then register domains for themselves.

What extension are you talking about?

If you are talking about .COM for instance -

Domain Name: SUPERCARRENTALS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1852948504_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.uniregistrar.com
Registrar URL: http://www.uniregistrar.com
Creation Date: 2014-04-01T18:20:17Z

Domain Name: HYPERCARRENTAL.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2346537288_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.yoursrs.com
Registrar URL: http://www.realtimeregister.com
Creation Date: 2018-12-25T07:58:24Z

Domain Name: CONDORGROUP.COM
Registry Domain ID: 3875371_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.register.it
Registrar URL: http://www.register.it
Creation Date: 1997-06-04T04:00:00Z

Domain Name: JAMAICATOURS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1685064_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
Creation Date: 1998-07-30T04:00:00Z

None of those domains were actually available to register. If they showed they were, it was just some error in their system.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I also have a conspiracy that Godaddy employees are also domainers and even though no one will admit it I believe they can be privy to data on what is being searched in the domain registration search process. maybe during lunch break? lol

•••
May be someone out there in another registrar has bought that domain , and they also have a same right to register as long as domain still available . First come first serve

•••
Look up “domain name front running”

it’s actually a conspiracy, one that I believe in.

If you cant spend the $8 ($18 Godaddy’s case if not in GD “Discount Club”) deserve to lose it

Samer

Yeah i agree. Next time i wont do that. I will buy. But the strange things is. It showed multiple errors. I am typing the same way i was then. With correct spelling of everything. So iam not quite sure about what bmugford said. With the dates of registration. Of those domains.

•••
But I don't believe now that Godaddy is the one actually REGISTERING these domains. on thee other hand I do believe they use your searches and offers them to all their users.

What does this mean?

•••
What does this mean?

if you searched for name in GD and didnt buy
gets Suggested to random prospective buyers on Godaddy — who dont work for GD- regular customers like you and me— in turn “steal” it from you under your nose. suggestin Godaddy indirectly plays a role, taking it by suggest your unregistered GD search to mill random pple.
you’ve really never seen “Suggested for you”? on Godaddy.com???

Only role GD plays is “suggests” your reallllly good unregistered you searched for on GD to millions of customers. Someone’s got take bait. guy who reg it wins. Godaddy wins, u lose

Last edited:
•••
So for example...

I search for "bitcoin-is-awesome.com", it's available but I don't register it

Then next day when someone searches for "bitcoin.com" and GoDaddy says it's unavailable GoDaddy will suggest my search, "bitcoin-is-awesome.com", instead of some other random names?

•••
So for example...

I search for "bitcoin-is-awesome.com", it's available but I don't register it

Then next day when someone searches for "bitcoin.com" and GoDaddy says it's unavailable GoDaddy will suggest my search, "bitcoin-is-awesome.com", instead of some other random names?

Exactly. Also a conspiracy, but admittedly never thought of it that way. may be on to somethin! name reg’d “unrelated” to GD staff
but registered the next day LOL (what are odds
@WhoaDomain.com may be on to something. Tough to prove, and Dont think it even illegal?
so reg all good names ideas if see em avail :)

Last edited:
•••
Before you continue these wild conspiracy theories see what bmugford documented - None of these names were free to reg

Last edited:
•••
Before you continue these wild conspiracy theories see what bmugford documented - None of these names were free to reg

And popular brand words followed by group or popular destinations followed by tours are never going to be available to hand reg in 2020.

Even if one drops they are popular enough formats to have heavy competition.

Brad

•••
And popular brand words followed by group or popular destinations followed by tours are never going to be available to hand reg in 2020.

Even if one drops they are popular enough formats to have heavy competition.

Brad

I agree - When I saw the names, I started checking them because I thought they couldn't be available to hand reg and then discovered your post - Thanks for that

•••
Exactly. Also a conspiracy, but admittedly never thought of it that way. may be on to somethin! name reg’d “unrelated” to GD staff
but registered the next day LOL (what are odds
@WhoaDomain.com may be on to something. Tough to prove, and Dont think it even illegal?
so reg all good names ideas if see em avail :)

Meh, I don't see an issue with it. Amazon and other retailers do the same thing. They show you suggestions and similar items that other users have bought all the time

For domains, it's the same thing. It's not yours until you buy it

•••
Meh, I don't see an issue with it. Amazon and other retailers do the same thing. They show you suggestions and similar items that other users have bought all the time

For domains, it's the same thing. It's not yours until you buy it

I am not sure what GoDaddy even does with the data. There is a lot of wild speculation here.

I tend to agree with your point though. If a domain is available, and you want it, buy it then.
Otherwise if someone else registers it later don't be upset. You had your chance.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Most times when you see this type of post the OP is confused.

GoDaddy does not steal domain searches then register domains for themselves.

What extension are you talking about?

If you are talking about .COM for instance -

Domain Name: SUPERCARRENTALS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1852948504_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.uniregistrar.com
Registrar URL: http://www.uniregistrar.com
Creation Date: 2014-04-01T18:20:17Z

Domain Name: HYPERCARRENTAL.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2346537288_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.yoursrs.com
Registrar URL: http://www.realtimeregister.com
Creation Date: 2018-12-25T07:58:24Z

Domain Name: CONDORGROUP.COM
Registry Domain ID: 3875371_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.register.it
Registrar URL: http://www.register.it
Creation Date: 1997-06-04T04:00:00Z

Domain Name: JAMAICATOURS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1685064_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
Creation Date: 1998-07-30T04:00:00Z

None of those domains were actually available to register. If they showed they were, it was just some error in their system.

Brad

Thanks Brad, this myth of loop for a decade now.

•••
This is a real email I've recently got from GoDaddy:
24/7 Support: *** **** ****
****** ****** — Customer Number: ********

************.com *
This domain can now be yours.

A while back, you searched for some pretty sweet names, but they weren't available.

Now you're in luck.
The domains you need to do your thing are back on the market:

************.com
**********.com
*********.com

Get Your Names

We aren't allowed to save these for you, so snag 'em while you can.

*This email does not assure the availability of the specific domains; only that they were still available as of 04 March 2020.

Click here to unsubscribe or manage your email preferences.

Please do not reply to this email. Emails sent to this address will not be answered.

Copyright © 1999-2020 GoDaddy Operating Company, LLC. 14455 N. Hayden Rd, Ste. 219, Scottsdale, AZ 85260 USA. All rights reserved.

Well, none of the domains were still available as of March 4, but the good thing is that it was me who registered them, one Jan. 28, two Feb. 29, so whoever was in the AI chair missed it by a few days, and one by more than a month.

It all reminded me of Little lady, you're in luck, I am Kris Kristofferson.

•••
I am bumping this thread because the "AI magic" is definitely at work. Yesterday, I had nanoleg.com added into my cart at NameCheap. (I did eventually remove it completely.) I liked how it followed the nano + LLL dictionary work pattern but stopped thinking, "what the hell is a nano leg?!" Perhaps good for a robotics company though. Anyways here is the whois today:

nanoleg.com is already registered*
Domain Name: NANOLEG.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2507955789_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: grs-whois.hichina.com
Registrar URL: http://www.net.cn
Updated Date: 2020-03-27T13:15:58Z
Creation Date: 2020-03-27T13:12:24Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2021-03-27T13:12:24Z
Registrar: Alibaba Cloud Computing (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
Registrar IANA ID: 420
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +86.95187
Domain Status: ok https://icann.org/epp#ok
Name Server: DNS15.HICHINA.COM
Name Server: DNS16.HICHINA.COM

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back