IT.COM

question GoDaddy auction showing 2024?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Gpik79

Established Member
Impact
I see a domain in godaddy expired auction that is expiring april 2024?.....it dropped in closeouts and I bought it from there but still confused..since all auctions I see are renewed by only 1 year not 2

What does that mean..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would suggest checking the amount you were billed at checkout (see your email).

There's also a chance the "current" registrant renewed the domain.

Otherwise it's anyone's guess and I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you got the name.

•••
I would suggest checking the amount you were billed at checkout (see your email).

There's also a chance the "current" registrant renewed the domain.

Otherwise it's anyone's guess and I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you got the name.
I was billed for only one year..and no the registrant didn't renew..guess you are right it's probably not a big deal..thanks

•••
I was billed for only one year..and no the registrant didn't renew..guess you are right it's probably not a big deal..thanks
Perhaps it's not a big deal, but is there any possibility that non-expiring domains are being put up in the expiring auctions intentionally. If interest appears so much higher in that venue, one would wonder if some regular domains now are being placed there?
Out of curiosity, have you checked out any of the other expiring auction names, to see whether they are actually all near expiration. If this domain wasn't set to expire until April 2023, it is puzzling how it ended up on that auction.

Last edited:
•••
I was told a name can end up on expiring if the name was taken from the registrant for other reasons including certain violations. In that case, if the registrant paid for the name for many years, it goes the the new owner.

•••
I was told a name can end up on expiring if the name was taken from the registrant for other reasons including certain violations. In that case, if the registrant paid for the name for many years, it goes the the new owner.
What type of violations?

•••
Last edited:
•••
I didn't notice it on other domains yet so it's confusing why it has that date...
Out of curiosity, have you checked out any of the other expiring auction names, to see whether they are actually all near expiration. If this domain wasn't set to expire until April 2023, it is puzzling how it ended up on that auction.

•••
If this was the case that would be very odd especially for the old registrant
at least back then
Domainnamewire Com/2007/02/27/godaddy-deletes-domain-name-for-inaccurate-email-address/[/URL]

a person can also ask gd to delete their name

•••
If this was the case that would be very odd especially for the old registrant
without sharing the domain you are giving nothing to work with so all we can do is speculate

•••
•••
•••
•••
Yeah it's definitely confusing...
So the term "expiring domains" for this auction is clearly a misnomer. Is it really for "expired and troubled" domains?
And one would question that if a domain is "expired" by a registrar due to an invalid email, if that was the case, then why wouldn't it need to go straight back to the registry. It seems peculiar that a registrar could profit by such a mishap.

•••
So the term "expiring domains" for this auction is clearly a misnomer. Is it really for "expired and troubled" domains?
And one would question that if a domain is "expired" by a registrar due to an invalid email, if that was the case, then why wouldn't it need to go straight back to the registry. It seems peculiar that a registrar could profit by such a mishap.
Godaddy clearly only care about profit so guess we can never know....

But in my case I think the domain did expire since it was regged on July ...so am guessing godaddy made a mistake and renewed it for 1 year and 9 months..instead of 1 year

Last edited:
•••
But in my case I think the domain did expire since it was regged on July ...so am guessing godaddy made a mistake and renewed it for 1 year and 9 months..instead of 1 year
This convinces me all the more that the "expiring domains" auctions are not my cup of tea. The mystery continues....

•••
This convinces me all the more that the "expiring domains" auctions are not my cup of tea. The mystery continues....
Hahaha I don't participate in the auctions anymore...too shady

•••
If you paid for a year of (renewal) registration, shouldn't the whois show year 2025 expiration?

•••
If you paid for a year of (renewal) registration, shouldn't the whois show year 2025 expiration?
Lol I don't think so....it should be 2023 but since it was 2024 I guess they left it like that

•••
Hahaha I don't participate in the auctions anymore...too shady
Good for you!
So, if there is such a feeding frenzy for expired domain auctions, why should we be surprised if non-expiring domains are being added to these lists? If so many investors are focused on the "expiring" ones, and that gets them to buy, maybe the auction lists will have many more of these?

Last edited:
•••
Good for you!
So, if there is such a feeding frenzy for expired domain auctions, why should we be surprised if non-expiring domains are being added to these lists? If so many investors are focused on the "expiring" ones, and that gets them to buy, the auction lists may now have more of these.
Yeah gd is suspicious

•••
Yeah gd is suspicious
Your post certainly raised some questions about the validity of their "expiring" domain auctions. For one, if the domain wasn't due for renewal until April 2023, wouldn't it have been nice if you had been given an option rather than a mandate to pay for the extra year?

•••
Your post certainly raised some questions about the validity of their "expiring" domain auctions. For one, if the domain wasn't due for renewal until April 2023, wouldn't it have been nice if you had been given an option rather than a mandate to pay for the extra year?
I think it was meant to expire July 2022 but gd made a mistake and renewed it to April 2024 for the auction.. probably some mistake

•••
I think it was meant to expire July 2022 but gd made a mistake and renewed it to April 2024 for the auction.. probably some mistake
So now it is renewed through 2025?

•••
•••
Back