IT.COM

question GoDaddy auction not showing the domain unless searched for it

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Leo2k

Established Member
Impact
I have listed one of my domains in GoDaddy auctions.
When listed i checked it under recently listed and it was not showing.
Now its just few hours left for the auction to end and I checked the auctions ending soon list and its not showing up there either.

Just wondering if the Auctions ending soon, Auctions listed recently and their auction list are all showing only domains registered through them and/ or paid for featured listing? And, domains registered elsewhere won't be showing up?

If yes, does it mean just the auction will be conducted there but we have to bring the bidders to search for the domain and bid? If yes, I guess its costly to run the auction there. I am little confused.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
After some research what I see is, if your domain is registered through GoDaddy then the domains listed in auctions are showing up in the auction list. But if its not, only if you search for the exact domain name its showing up there and you can bid for it.
So we have to bring our own bidders for the auction. And I guess then there is no use of listing it there and giving a huge commission for the sales.

•••
Upvote 0
Are you using their new search or the classic search? I ran into that issue awhile ago, while searching for a domain with their new search. I would have to select an exact match to get the domain to show up. But if I did it under classic search, the domain would always show up without doing an exact match.

•••
Upvote 0
After some research what I see is, if your domain is registered through GoDaddy then the domains listed in auctions are showing up in the auction list. But if its not, only if you search for the exact domain name its showing up there and you can bid for it.
So we have to bring our own bidders for the auction. And I guess then there is no use of listing it there and giving a huge commission for the sales.
It's a very curious system they have, and lack of visibility of the listings was one of the reasons I abandoned using them. In my past experience years ago, searches for my listings, using categories or words in the domains that were appropriate, tended to be unsuccessful. So I highly sympathize with you.

•••
Upvote 0
Are you using their new search or the classic search? I ran into that issue awhile ago, while searching for a domain with their new search. I would have to select an exact match to get the domain to show up. But if I did it under classic search, the domain would always show up without doing an exact match.
I checked with both. Neither of them showed the domain listed for auction in their list. When scrolling through pages. I had to type the exact domainname.tld to make it show.
All the list of domains that it shows are all seems to be GoDaddy registered.
And in the auction page, Buy now offers of GoDaddy domains are also mixed to make it bloat and confuse.

Worthless listing any external domain there for auction. We just end up paying high commission while we bring all the bidders to search for the domain name and bid for it.

•••
Upvote 0
It's a very curious system they have, and lack of visibility of the listings was one of the reasons I abandoned using them. In my past experience years ago, searches for my listings, using categories or words in the domains that were appropriate, tended to be unsuccessful. So I highly sympathize with you.
Yes. I remember once you mentioned it in another post. I just though of giving it a try. Initially I was assuming it was showing up in the list and may take time and later after checking from another browser how the domain is showing up I understood its not visible anywhere.
I really don't understand the purpose of huge commission for that when they are not going to make anything for the domain to sell.

We are paying high commission, multiple times the domain registration charge, if the domain is sold. But yet, they don't want to give it any preference.

•••
Upvote 0
Like you, the only way I see the domain listed is if I search for it directly by the name itself. I am beyond disgusted with GD. I have 160 domains and just put 60 up for Offer/Counter-offer (with min. offer stated as the bottom price, I will accept (I saw no activity when I put them up for a 7-day auction, that included additional categories and cost to be listed as a "featured" domain.) Furthermore, when I post them, there is no landing page to extend the marketing effort with the offer/counter-offer (min. offer info). This is infuriating; this is the least they can do if someone types in the domain directly without searching for it on GD. They would still get the commission, for god's sake, because the call-to-action would generate an offer email through their system, so I don't get it. Not to mention the domain-selling management tools are abysmal. I am a user experience consultant with 20+ years of experience. They are doing a horrible (and unethical) service by taking on such large commissions with little to no marketing value beyond their database, with is useless unless a buyer assumes the domain "might" be listed with GD.

•••
Upvote 0
Like you, the only way I see the domain listed is if I search for it directly by the name itself. I am beyond disgusted with GD. I have 160 domains and just put 60 up for Offer/Counter-offer (with min. offer stated as the bottom price, I will accept (I saw no activity when I put them up for a 7-day auction, that included additional categories and cost to be listed as a "featured" domain.) Furthermore, when I post them, there is no landing page to extend the marketing effort with the offer/counter-offer (min. offer info). This is infuriating; this is the least they can do if someone types in the domain directly without searching for it on GD.

For me, in retrospect, using the GoDaddy auctions intermittently over the years was a waste of time and effort. To me, there was no evidence that the domains were being seen in auction.

Hopefully something will change down the line...

•••
Upvote 0
I am beyond disgusted with GD. I have 160 domains and just put 60 up for Offer/Counter-offer

I feel your pain, but:

first, you should never pay for "extras" such as "featured" listing, and

there is no landing page to extend the marketing effort with the offer/counter-offer

Are your domains using default Godaddy nameservers? If so, I'd think they would link to your current listings.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Are your domains using default Godaddy nameservers? If so, I'd think they would link to your current listings.
Will that just show the auction page when the domain name is called for or
it will help include the domain name in the domains auction list as well?

And their auction page is not actually just showing only the 7 days auction list separately but also other Buy now/offers list and make it too bloated.

They should show the 7 days auctions list separately and other Offer/Counter offer list separately and the rest on a different column. Until then its useless listing there, unless I guess the domains registered through GoDaddy is given some visibility advantages there.

•••
Upvote 0
Will that just show the auction page when the domain name is called for or
it will help include the domain name in the domains auction list as well?

I really have no idea.

It usually takes months to years to sell a domain, so set up a landing page with a popular marketplace and wait.

Generally speaking, don't expect short-term results (besides disappointment).

Auctions will work for the best liquid names.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
I really have no idea.

It usually takes months to years to sell a domain, so set up a landing page with a popular marketplace and wait.

Generally speaking, don't expect short-term results (besides disappointment).

Auctions will work for the best liquid names.
Of course. But its not about getting the domain sold. But its about GoDaddy's auction page which is not properly designed from my point of view.

Because if the auctions page, what is the reason for huge number of Buy Now offers showing up in that list which makes you search for the 7 days auctions list among a huge pile.

Still, I dedicated some time to go through that list page by page and found that the my domain which was put for 7 days auctions was not showing up anywhere in that list. But when I manually searched for the complete domain name I was able to find it. If that is the way their auctions page work, it just means that you have to bring the bidders to their page asking them to search for your domain name and bid. But otherwise, regular users who simply visit their auction page to see what domains are listed there won't find your domain if its not GoDaddy registered.

Which makes it useless for non GoDaddy domain owners to list their domain for auction there.

•••
Upvote 0
Because if the auctions page, what is the reason for huge number of Buy Now offers showing up in that list which makes you search for the 7 days auctions list among a huge pile.

Oh, ok you did hit the nail on the head. And I forgot, because I always switch to "Classic view" before browsing the auctions. Otherwise, you're right, the presentation is an absolute sh*t show. Sorry it didn't register till now. The current interface is pathetic and inexcusable.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Oh, ok you did hit the nail on the head. And I forgot, because I always switch to "Classic view" before browsing the auctions. Otherwise, you're right, the presentation is an absolute sh*t show. Sorry it didn't register till now. The current interface is pathetic and inexcusable.
Yep. And I even searched in their classic view and my domain was not showing up there.
Later when I did a small research with the domains showing up there, all of them were GoDaddy/few partners registered and other domains not showing up there. You have to search manually in Classic view as well.

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back