Dynadot

GoDaddy Appraisal Tool - Free

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The "shocked" buyers are the ones who planned on paying maybe a hundred bucks, so you can't get anywhere with them anyway.

True. Starting to think they're other domainers. :)

•••
•••
•••
The domain was updated Dec. 3rd..today.

•••
If your have an account manager you can request he push your entire GD portfolio through the tool. You get back a simple excel sheet with the appraised value (you dont get all the past sales etc.).

Quite handy to validate BIN pricing, but many edge cases where valuations are daft (both plus and minus). Don't get a big head when the total valuation runs to millions of USD - chances of you ever getting that much are slim...

•••
I just found a fantastic unregistered domain, qfgiy.com , appraised at $1,047 :xf.cool:

I'll save it for future reference, just in case a buyer argues that Godaddy's GoFigure(TM) valuation says my domain is not worth my asking price :xf.wink:

•••
•••
I just found a fantastic unregistered domain, qfgiy.com , appraised at $1,047
Yeah, they aren't handling valuations for 4L and 5L very well in many cases, but that one is exceptionally poor. Hopefully someone from GD is watching and can take that back as an example of things going wrong.

•••
Just read an article by Konstantinos Zournas....

Here's an interesting excerpt...

Here are some stats that GoDaddy shares:

• Number of domains under GoDaddy management: 73 million
  • Their estimated value: $36.6 billion
  • Estimated value of U.S. domains managed by GoDaddy: $26 billion
  • Estimated value of international domains managed by GoDaddy: $10.6 billion
  • GoDaddy’s average selling price for domains sold this year: $2,344
So the average domain name that is registered at GoDaddy is worth about $500 according to GoDaddy.

Full article here:
https://onlinedomain.com/2017/12/04...-new-domain-valuation-tool-interesting-stats/

•••
Maybe the GDiddy appraisal tool doesn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings hence comes back with a few $K price on most anything. :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
Don't forget that GD is a registrar and the ultimate goal is to increase the number of registrations, and paid listings and ancillary services for domains that are worthless anyway.

•••
I just sold a name via Afternic Fast Transfer for half of what the GDiddy tool says it is worth. Actually set the price months ago had forgotten about it.

It comes down to that it’s easy to sell a name for a $K but trying to get above that one K requires a rarefied breed of buyer.

•••
•••
I've run a few of my names through tonight (just for fun..). So far most of GD's "valuations" are coming in around just under 20% of where I have set my BIN pricing. However, the info given on the right under previous sales data, could get really ugly, really fast, for domainers...

I put in a specific name I own, with a "nursing" keyword. I have had a few of these and they sell reasonably well. So the fact the valuation was lower than I would have liked wasn't an issue. What was an issue, was that a previous sale of the exact same name was shown as $40 only. Yes, it was, but some years ago when I bought it on GD expired auctions.

Does this mean that GD is going to dredge up our GD expired and closeout pricing for our name purchases, and somehow show these as "comparable sales"???

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
From communications I have had with GDiddy, they are purposely limiting access to the tool, including to US users who they believe are using it too much.

•••
Hmm, well I tried a few more of my names again tonight. Same thing as my earlier post on this topic. With some (but not all) names, the comparable sales data is my OWN purchase of this name, sometimes years earlier (I tend to hang onto names if I like them) on GD expired auctions.

This is so seriously unhelpful and counterproductive to the domain re-sale market, I hardly know where to start...

•••
I've put many of my domains in it, and the tool comes back with the
Estimated Value: more than $25,000
and then others, it comes back only a few thousand dollars. The lowest it has come back for any domain of mine is about $1500. I haven't entered a LOT of domains into the tool, mostly just the ones that I need to set new pricing on, or ones where I am in the midst of active negotiations. I am not going to obsess on this tool.

I cannot say I am unhappy with its valuation, although yes, there are some domains where I am asking a lot more than what the tool claims the domain is worth, and no doubt there will be other instances in the future where GD is undervaluing my domains.

Can't cry about what's out there. Just like can't ignore the fact that someone is selling your exact domain with just one letter different for a certain price - you must take everything that is out there into consideration when setting your prices, and negotiating your deals.

Like the game of chess - you don't assume that your opponent is an idiot. You make your move based on expecting him to counter with the best possible move.

Similarly, with domain sales, this is just another piece of information that we must assume that the public will have access to. I explained away low estibot valuations before, and closed deals, so if need be, I shall explain away low GDiddy valuations. No big thang. I know what I have here! and if they want it, they must pay.

Last edited:
•••
It is in Beta release right now and only works in the US. You may still be able to access it if you use the drop down on the top left of the godaddy.com page and choose US- English as your region. If you do set it to that make sure and switch it back when you are done because it will show you all the prices etc in USD.

•••
It is in Beta release right now and only works in the US. You may still be able to access it if you use the drop down on the top left of the godaddy.com page and choose US- English as your region. If you do set it to that make sure and switch it back when you are done because it will show you all the prices etc in USD.
Thank You @Joe Styler. I figured it out earlier but appreciate your response anyways.

•••
•••
The "shocked" buyers are the ones who planned on paying maybe a hundred bucks, so you can't get anywhere with them anyway.

Lol just got one of those “shocked” buyers who actually tossed out the “I thought it would be $100.” in the same sentence with the shocked word. This, for a domain where both for sales and closed sales comparables (I gave these to the buyer) clearly show a valuation of at least $3500.

Really, at $100. this isn’t a buyer. More of...an inquirer.

Last edited:
•••
I hope to write this up more fully, but I recently completed doing a valuation on 89 domain names in my portfolio using both Estibot and GoDaddy GoValue (Beta). Here is what I found:
(a) Overall there now (see next point) seem little systematic bias between them. For the total of the 89 domain names Estibot gave $49,505 and GoValue $53, 226. In finding these totals I took the <$100 that GoValue gives to low value domains as $0 (perhaps I should have counted it as $50).
(b) GoValue estimates are very much in flux. I rechecked today all 89 (yes, it let me) and compared to values I had taken one to three weeks earlier. In some cases they changed by as much as a factor of 4 and most changed at least a little. While in general the new GoValue estimates are lower than a few weeks ago, a few did go up (and a number stayed constant or nearly so).
(c) Estibot and GoValue do agree remarkably on some domain names - e.g. for frugal(.)design one gave $360 and the other $364; for BCT(.)pw the estimates of $500 and $573 are close, and even robotics(.)gdn at $1400 and $1198 are pretty close.
(d) They completely disagree on some others. For example AdvantageHappy(.)com is listed at $0 on Estibot and $1302 on GoValue, and codely(.)ca is $10 on Estibot and $1674 on GoValue, nanoAZ(.)com is $0 on Estibot and $1263 on GoValue, while XXL.science is $9100 on Estibot and only $361 on GoValue.
(e) It seems that Estibot is pretty kind to single generic word in the .top extension (e.g. cabins(.)top at $1700, compassion(.)top at $2600)i , while GoValue is less discriminating about extensions among the new gTLD. For example I own the genetic DNA editing acronym CRISPR in multiple extensions, and it valued most of them the same, even though some work better together (like it tells me CRISPR.science and CRISPR.trade are equal in value, but they are not in my opinion).
(f) At least for the domains in my portfolio, Estibot seems unfairly harsh to .ca domain names and any .com that is not a single generic word. For example DIYI(.)ca which could stand for Do It Yourself Investing or various other possibilities, just four letters and the .ca extension, they value at $60, but GoValue gives an estimate of $2350! (which is too high, but not by the same factor that Estibot is too low)
(f) The information they provide makes it clear what the valuations are based on. To get a high Estibot you need a common word or phrase that has great search statistics and has sold and most extensions are taken. For GoValue the really important thing seems to be other extensions taken and especially that there is at least one sale in exactly that word at a large value.
(g) Both over-estimate to some degree on average I would say. I certainly would happily sell my portfolio for much less than the overall valuation :).

Overall conclusions:
  • I think both are helpful and provide guidance but clearly are not precise and sometimes make bad errors.
  • I feel that if GoValue stays freely accessible it will help us selling domains when we can point to that as a third party valuation (at least when the value is much more than what we are asking).
  • I like that GoValue have a category <$100 for low value domains, and don't try to estimate precisely high value domains (simply give >25,000). GoValue should round all values, as the implied precision of for example saying $1391 is not supported.
  • Estibot seems to care about extensions more than GoValue, but not in a completely logical way. They are too harsh to the last wave of extensions, and too kind to things like .top that have been around for 3 years and had more time to accumulate sales.
  • Be careful mentioning GoValue estimates, since they vary day by day (really!). I hope that is because they are in beta, and the changes will become less once it gets more stable.
  • The comparator domain name sales that GoValue give are in general excellent, and it provides in many cases information that does not seem to be in NameBio (the huge database of the Afternic network gives GoDaddy a big advantage).
  • Overall I think these two are far better than any of the other estimation bots I have found on the web. In a way, it is good that they do emphasize different things.
  • If I was giving grades to them, I would give GoValue a B+ and Estibot a B, and everything else I have tried an F. I think there is room to improve in both of them.
Sorry this is so long!
Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back