IT.COM

domains GoDaddy acquiring Uniregistry's registrar & marketplace, and Name Administration's domain portfolio

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
The first blockbuster deal of the decade. GoDaddy Inc. (NYSE: GDDY), the company that empowers everyday entrepreneurs, today announced it is acquiring Uniregistry's leading domain registrar and marketplace businesses. Financial details of the transaction were not disclosed. The deal is expected to close sometime in Q2 2020. The Uniregistry domain registry is not part of the … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Let's see if this will be positive for investors and they build a clean landing page at least with BIN. They could also integrate some domain management features using the marketplace tools from Uni.

Go Uni Daddy!

•••
•••
Well, not really surprised this is happening. More centralization of wholesale inventories means Godaddy will continue getting more of the retail sales without the need for individual investors to participate. The portfolio alone is worth north of $100m yearly retail activity. Likely more.

•••
Godaddy also bought Brandsight in this deal, so Uni was probably an investor in it.

Mark Monitor, Safe Names got some new competitors.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@Rob Monster Im not gonna lie, when I saw the headline before I saw it was uni, I thought Shane was coming for Epik.

•••
The $64k Question?

What will this mean for Us? The Domainers?

Good? Bad? Doesnt matter? :xf.confused:

•••
So far sadness, surprise, doubt and fear. These were my gut reactions but maybe its the coffee.
I wonder what others are thinking and feeling about this UNI-DADDY news?

•••
The $64k Question?

What will this mean for Us? The Domainers?

Good? Bad? Doesnt matter? :xf.confused:
Well If Godaddy owns your Data, and the company, your now a Godaddy customer.

It has to all be integrated eventually, no point running two brands, so godaddy owns domainnames.com now also.

•••
•••
@Rob Monster didnt you call this :)

Samer
There was a lot of rumours of this, as more behind the scenes going on with a sizeable partner in Uniregistry, there wasn’t probably many options.

•••
This post by Paul Nicks answers a few questions.
  • It seems that Uniregristry will continue to operate as a registrar, but now it will be a fast transfer partner so those with domain names registered there can get on the Afternic premium network (at least for supported extensions). That is a major advantage to those who use it as a registrar.
  • It is less clear to me but it seems that the agent brokers at the two places will work together. I presume that as time goes on there will be more integration. There are clearly some differences in both lander and agent/broker style, and will be interesting to see how this evolves.
  • The platinum collection of domain names held by Uniregistry will now be held by NameFind. This really gives them a huge boost, in my opinion. How will this impact the high end of the market and opportunities for other brokers and investors? Not sure, look forward to hearing what the large players have to say.
No doubt a huge day in the industry. I am sure both opportunities and concerns when any player gets even larger.

Bob

•••
Oh no. Now our domains would be given far little exposure after Namefind and Uni portfolio's.
Its not a domainer game now.

•••
Does this sale include all the new extensions that Frank tried to gouge registrants on like .Guitars, .HipHop, and others by grossly raising the price? The ones where GoDaddy dropped them because of Frank's actions.

I can't believe they would have any interest in those.

Brad

No

•••
The first blockbuster deal of the decade. GoDaddy Inc. (NYSE: GDDY), the company that empowers everyday entrepreneurs, today announced it is acquiring Uniregistry's leading domain registrar and marketplace businesses. Financial details of the transaction were not disclosed. The deal is expected to close sometime in Q2 2020. The Uniregistry domain registry is not part of the … [Read more...]

He sold out.

•••
Oh no. Now our domains would be given far little exposure after Namefind and Uni portfolio's.
Its not a domainer game now.
Not true, those names will now be added to afternic fast transfer network if you want.

•••
So far sadness, surprise, doubt and fear. These were my gut reactions but maybe its the coffee.
Nothing good. Except for GD.

•••

unidaddy.com is taken! :(

•••
It would be a big blow for ngtld's. I dont think there would be any difference for .com's.

Next step, Will Sedo acquire Dan?

Then there would be two big players in the market.

•••
Dear Godaddy,

Buy Uni.com now.

Last edited:
•••
It would be a big blow for ngtld's. I dont think there would be any difference for .com's.

Next step, Will Sedo acquire Dan?

Then there would be two big players in the market.
I think what people don’t understand that there is more going on behind the scenes with this sale, that probably forced the deal to happen.

•••
•••
•••
For those at NamesCon, were there any whispers of this in Austin? It must have been in works for some time, and a great accomplishment if no one leaked any hint of it.

There are a few threads around this topic. I posted this link to an informative article by Paul Nicks on exactly what is involved. Uniregistry as a registrar will continue to operate independently, but now as an Afternic fast transfer premium network partner.

Bob

•••
You really think so, billions in goodwill, to many changes to fast, can cause a disconnect in the brand.

That's the advantage of having a famous brand, you can change it to anything you want and people still remember you.

Think of Google and Alphabet

IMO

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back