Dynadot

question "GO" Domains in "inRem" Litigation - What r my options?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GoWebnames.com

Truth alone triumphsTop Member
Impact
I and few other members here acquired some GO keyword domains at GoDaddy Auctions in 2019 [GoGames.com etc.] The owner, as per the WHOIS, was one SCOTT PETRETTA who was negotiating with me on his email listed on the original WHOIS. Immediately after my $4720 payment to GoDaddy [for GoGames.com], he started claiming that he had been hacked. These domains were transferred to GoDaddy about 2 months prior to being sold there. Then, upon complainant's request, GoDaddy did lock down the domains but subsequently released them after their investigation after which I transferred them over to Epik. Now the previous owner has filed an inRem litigation in the Court of Virginia for all these 16 domains (inRem is basically where the court decides the ownership of an asset under its jurisdiction as a property). I strongly believe that the litigant SCOTT PETRETTA has done this on purpose, first selling all these 16 domains and playing innocent afterwards.

Upon the receipt of court filing last month, Epik has locked them down and I want to evaluate my options for a defense. All documents attached, about 2 more weeks are left for publishing of notice.

1) What are the chances of an award to litigant in this case? This is 16 domains we are talking about.

2) What would be the fees if we engage a lawyer to fight it?

3) Is it possible to file a reply by email to this court in Virginia?

4) In case of an award to the litigant, can we ask GoDaddy for refund?? They were informed by me the very next day, to cancel the assured transaction, when I got the previous owner's email. @Joe Styler @Paul Nicks may want to reply on this.

Some good timely advice would be helpful. It would be good to hear from you too John @jberryhill
CourtFiling.png

Please feel free to tag anyone who may be of help.

Attachments

• 1-20-CV-00996.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 384
  • court filing GO names.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 399
  • Petretta Kosak Declaration ISO Motion to Publish.pdf
    633.9 KB · Views: 366
  • Petretta Memo ISO Motion to Publish.pdf
    173.1 KB · Views: 432
  • Petretta Motion for Order to Publish.pdf
    100.9 KB · Views: 411
  • Petretta Order to Publish Notice of Action.pdf
    117.1 KB · Views: 433
  • Petretta Waiver of Hearing - Motion for Publication.pdf
    99 KB · Views: 368
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@GoWebnames.com Sorry to hear that. Since I already returned the domains in March, I guess I'm in a different position than the other buyers at the moment. I got the emails about the refunds first (those automatic emails from Godaddy that notify about a refund) followed by an email from court disputes letting me know that refunds have been issued.

You may be in a different position by virtue of your physical location as well. Are you a US national? All these GO domains are locked down on a where-is-as-is basis after the receipt of court filing notice. Mine are with EPIK (@Rob Monster) presently.

I'm presuming that if you contact [email protected] and be willing to transfer the domain to Mr. Petretta, you'll be refunded too.
That's for GD to communicate.

•••
•••
@PapaTama Not yet. It seems like for now, only I'm getting a refund because I returned the domains half a year ago so I'm not invloved in the litigation. The litigation is still happening but it seems like this will end up well for everybody involved sooner or later.

Last edited:
•••
Update: Few days ago, these GO domains were ordered by the Virginia court to be transferred over to the plaintiff's chosen registrar (GoDaddy), the same registrar who had sold these stolen names.

I wrote to GoDaddy auctions about it, post which they have refunded my purchase in full by applying an equivalent account credit. Of course, GoDaddy didn't pay any interest or goodwill compensation for my lost time of nearly two years.

Attachments

• 2020-12-15 (Petretta v. GoCars) Report and Recommendation (1).pdf
    243.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 2021-07-22 (Petretta v. GoCars) Order Granting Default Judgment (1).pdf
    116.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back