IT.COM

Go Daddy Appraisals/Valuations???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Anyone notice how Go Daddy seems to have changed their domain appraisal/valuation process. For example just a few days ago a domain I was looking to buy CanDoGourmet.com was appraised @ $1,115 and today it's appraised @ <less than $100. And this isn't an anomaly, most all of their domains have been revalued?

Maybe someone from GD will respond to this with an explanation.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just take all these valuations as ''opinions'', nothing more. Would you use your grandma's opinion on which domain to buy? Unlikely. GoDaddy's opinion on the same? Maybe, sometimes. But it's still just an opinion in both cases, that's it. And it can change at any time too - it's very obvious that their valuation based on previous sales - sales go up - their value changes (in their eyes). Up to you if you want to make any assumption or decision based on this fact.
"opinions" are a lot like assholes in that everyone has one:xf.wink: Valuations/Appraisals like done by GD are educated estimations but definitely not random opinions.

•••
After reading this thread, I went through and updated all the GoDaddy valuations in my spreadsheet with the new values. Overall, my portfolio jumped in value by about 10%. I had some weird isolated drops in value, but also some decent jumps upward on others.

It just looks like they added in more sales numbers and recalculated. My .org domains saw the biggest jumps, which makes sense based on my observation of the overall.org market.

Just my .02

•••
Valuations/Appraisals like done by GD are educated estimations but definitely not random opinions.
Mhm )))) that's a big mistake to think so. Reminds me of all these rating agencies in the 2008 crisis when shitty CDOs were skyrocketing in price while underlying assets hit the basement, so all these agencies were rating these CDOs triple AAA, and then later when asked under investigation of what happened, executives were like - oh, these were just opinions.
Since then that's exactly how I look at any domain (and not only) valuation.

Last edited:
•••
After reading this thread, I went through and updated all the GoDaddy valuations in my spreadsheet with the new values. Overall, my portfolio jumped in value by about 10%. I had some weird isolated drops in value, but also some decent jumps upward on others.

It just looks like they added in more sales numbers and recalculated. My .org domains saw the biggest jumps, which makes sense based on my observation of the overall.org market.

Just my .02
Thanks for your 2 cents inforg. While a small percentage of my portfolio also jumped in value about 10%, a significant percentage of my portfolio dropped over 90%. Regardless, GD shouldn't be in the appraisal business at all even if it was an arms length relationship.

You need to look no further than the real estate industry to learn just how wrong and unethical this relationship truly is. It's an obvious Conflict of Interest, and I believe the courts will bear this out.

•••
Thanks for your 2 cents inforg. While a small percentage of my portfolio also jumped in value about 10%, a significant percentage of my portfolio dropped over 90%. Regardless, GD shouldn't be in the appraisal business at all even if it was an arms length relationship.

You need to look no further than the real estate industry to learn just how wrong and unethical this relationship truly is. It's an obvious Conflict of Interest, and I believe the courts will bear this out.
In the real estate field, you pay an appraiser for an appraisal. It is normally part of the loan process.

How much did you pay GoDaddy for a free domain appraisal?

Good luck suing for damages when no money actually changed hands for the service.

I will be staying tuned for your lawsuit!

Brad

Last edited:
•••
In the real estate field, you pay an appraiser for an appraisal. It is normally part of the loan process.

How much did you pay GoDaddy for a free domain appraisal?

Good luck suing for damages when no money actually changed hands for the service.

I will be staying tuned for your lawsuit!

Brad
I paid them alright......who do you think purchased their domains:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Thanks for this Joe and believe it or not I hadn't read or seen this until now. I consider myself both a sophisticated and educated consumer so the courts may overlook this totally as they have in other high profile cases. While I'm neither a lawyer or a judge, instances of Case Law may render GD's disclaimer null and void.
Yeah, it would be an interesting one. GD certainly carries a lot of sway in the industry, so their opinion (automated or otherwise) has an impact.

The GoValue appraisial tool derives its approximate values from past market activity, though... So that, combined with the disclaimer that there is nothing official about the numbers provided, probably gives them some pretty good legal cover.

It wasn't super easy to find that disclaimer either. You have to click on the information bubble next to the name/value and then click on the "Disclaimer" link at the bottom of the pop-up window.

Last edited:
•••
Last year, I paid for an Afternic appraisal for one of my domains because I was curious how one looks like.

I wasn't happy, and I don't agree with the ~3500 USD result, so I was forced to hide the appraisal on the Afternic site because I'm selling that domain for a bigger price.

How can I show the appraisal if I'm selling the domain for more?

Last year, GoDaddy Appraisal also showed something like ~3500 for that domain.

At the beginning of this year, before they did the update, GoDaddy Appraisal was showing an evaluation of around 4200 USD for the same domain, starting to get closer to the value that I think the domain has.

Now, after the update, GoDaddy Appraisal is showing that the domain is worth ~3200 USD.

How can you sell a good product if instead of wrapping it in high-quality packaging that it deserves, you'll put it in some uninspired encasement that will lower its value?

•••
Last year, I paid for an Afternic appraisal for one of my domains because I was curious how one looks like.

I wasn't happy, and I don't agree with the ~3500 USD result, so I was forced to hide the appraisal on the Afternic site because I'm selling that domain for a bigger price.

How can I show the appraisal if I'm selling the domain for more?

Last year, GoDaddy Appraisal also showed something like ~3500 for that domain.

At the beginning of this year, before they did the update, GoDaddy Appraisal was showing an evaluation of around 4200 USD for the same domain, starting to get closer to the value that I think the domain has.

Now, after the update, GoDaddy Appraisal is showing that the domain is worth ~3200 USD.

How can you sell a good product if instead of wrapping it in high-quality packaging that it deserves, you'll put it in some uninspired encasement that will lower its value?
Why pay for an appraisal when you had obviously already made your own appraisal? The AN and GD appraisals were the same yet you ignored both. There's nothing at all wrong with that. It could well be a good call. But since you priced the domain higher anyway it indicates that you had more confidence in your own appraisal than the other 2. So, just go with your own pricing strategy and ignore the valuation tools if you are happier with your price. End users will also decide what a domain is worth to them. And rarely does it have any relationship to GoValue. Personally, I never look at GoValue (or any others).

Last edited:
•••
Why pay for an appraisal when you had obviously already made your own appraisal? The AN and GD appraisals were the same yet you ignored both. There's nothing at all wrong with that. It could well be a good call. But since you priced the domain higher anyway it indicates that you had more confidence in your own appraisal than the other 2. So, just go with your own pricing strategy and ignore the valuation tools if you are happier with your price. End users will also decide what a domain is worth to them. And rarely does it have any relationship to GoValue. Personally, I never look at GoValue (or any others).
Why? It's in the first sentence: I was curious how an appraisal made by humans (Afternic's employees in this case) looks like.

The AN and GD appraisals were the same yet you ignored both.

This doesn't make sense. How should I know that they are the same if I've done them at different times and what relevance it has? Again: what you wrote doesn't make sense.

End users will also decide what a domain is worth to them. And rarely does it have any relationship to GoValue. Personally, I never look at GoValue (or any others).

Your way of thinking is way too simplistic, like 1+1=2 and that's all. You make assumptions without bringing any evidence.

How do you know that GoDaddy Appraisal rarely influence user's decision of what a domain is worth?

Normally, I don't even answer to something like this, because it's time consuming and it's agains the logic what you wrote.

Last edited:
•••
I was curious how an appraisal made by humans (Afternic's employees in this case) looks like.
OK, sorry I misunderstood that.
Again: what you wrote doesn't make sense.
Sorry about that. It makes sense to me.
Your way of thinking is way too simplist
You're entitled to your opinion.
Normally, I don't even answer to something like this, because it's time consuming and it's agains the logic what you wrote.
Well, I feel honoured that you made an exception for me.

•••
Yeah, it would be an interesting one. GD certainly carries a lot of sway in the industry, so their opinion (automated or otherwise) has an impact.

The GoValue appraisial tool derives its approximate values from past market activity, though... So that, combined with the disclaimer that there is nothing official about the numbers provided, probably gives them some pretty good legal cover.

It wasn't super easy to find that disclaimer either. You have to click on the information bubble next to the name/value and then click on the "Disclaimer" link at the bottom of the pop-up window.
Their legal cover is mostly E & O or professional liability insurance. If it weren't for the fact they'd already fucked over me the way they did with the domain Reservations.online, i might not have much standing. That said, the "Class" harmed by this could involve as much as a Billion dollars if the damage to my portfolio is an example.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

•••
Why? It's in the first sentence: I was curious how an appraisal made by humans (Afternic's employees in this case) looks like.

This doesn't make sense. How should I know that they are the same if I've done them at different times and what relevance it has? Again: what you wrote doesn't make sense.

Your way of thinking is way too simplistic, like 1+1=2 and that's all. You make assumptions without bringing any evidence.

How do you know that GoDaddy Appraisal rarely influence user's decision of what a domain is worth?

Alex....you clearly stated that you ordered a custom appraisal from GD just to see what it looks like. I've often wondered that myself and i actually had a custom appraisal done at Epik for free, and as it turned out it was worth about as much as I paid for it:xf.wink:

I started this thread because GD's appraisal's have had a profound impact on my decision to purchase certain domains. This is why I'm so pissed off with GD's automated valuation/appraisal change. It's actually impacted my portfolio's "Estimated value" (according to GD) in excess of well over 100K.

While I haven't bought it yet, SeekingBizPartner.com is available to hand reg but GD values it at < less than $100 today, whereas it was valued at > greater than $1,000 just a few months ago. I'll probably buy it anyway because I have plans for it's use, but GD's change in valuation has influenced my decision.

Thanks for for your participation on this thread Alex!

•••
I just now noticed, after updates one of my domain add in value over 500 USD💲💲💲

1685367138244.png

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back