IT.COM

showcase Get Ahead Of Web3 - NFT Domains: Ownable For Life, No Renewal Fees

NameSilo
Watch

UnstoppableDomains

Established Member
Impact
Get Ahead Of Web3 - NFT Domains: Ownable For Life, No Renewal Fees

Here at Unstoppable Domains, we believe the Internet should be owned by people and are thrilled at the opportunity to share some insights about the benefits of Web3 with the NamePros community!

Web3 - the decentralized, secure, and user-owned internet - is more than cool tech, it’s a movement that’s gaining noteworthy traction and creating new and real opportunities in domain ownership:

• Ground Floor Opportunity
    Because Web3 is still in the relatively early stages of adoption, there are a ton of NFT domains available from Unstoppable Domains, starting as low as $5.

• Lifetime Benefits
    Once you mint your NFT domains - you own and control them for life - no renewal fees, no custodians, no escrow agents. NFT domains can be safely transferred to anyone in the world in under one minute.

• Here To Stay - Adoption And Development
    Hundreds of millions of people already use it for NFT’s, crypto, and digital identification purposes.

And momentum continues building on user and development sides.
    34,000 new developers committed code to Web3 projects in 2021 - the highest number of developers in history according to this report.

• More Than Websites - NFT Domain Benefits & Features
    In addition to Total ownership and complete control, NFT domains give the following benefits when surfing the decentralized web:
  1. Crypto Just Got Easy
    NFT domains give you the power to send, store, and receive hundreds of cryptocurrencies and NFTs with one simple domain name.

2. It’s Your Name, Own It
    Take control of your digital identity and finally own your username. With NFT domains, your username is no longer tied to a single website or app . it’s yours to use everywhere you go.

3. The Only Login You Need
    Leave the days of signing in with email addresses, user accounts, and passwords behind. Your Unstoppable domain is all you need to verify your identity and access sites and apps on the decentralized web.

This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
My concern is a lot of domains are protected or not available and it’s getting harder to find single words in .eth not sure a random term is worth 150 dollars

•••
Welcome to Namepros @UnstoppableDomains!

I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on how we can resolve clashes from competing services like Handshake, DecentraWeb, Butterfly, Quik, and the many others that will inevitably emerge in the near future.
Hi James,

It is within no registrar’s best interests to replicate existing TLDs as it only causes conflicts and mutual harm. Technically, anyone can create an NFT domain; the critical part is their working applications.

With the rapid recognition and the +150 third-party integrations Unstoppable Domains already acquired, users can be confident only broader adoption and new features will come with time. (Check the complete list here: https://unstoppabledomains.com/apps)

The company already has ICANN applications to recognize Unstoppable Domains extensions in the conventional DNS space. However, due to the decentralized technology deployed and the cultivated partners, we will continue to function and thrive in the Web 3.0 space regardless of the result.

We use an entirely different technology to conventional Web 2.0 domains. The NFT domains exist on the Ethereum/Polygon blockchains and do not rely on traditional DNS to connect to browsers and applications. Unlike with ICANN and Verisign, Unstoppable Domains are not controlled by any third party or centralized authority. Users retain full custody of the asset.

-UD Team

•••
My concern is a lot of domains are protected or not available and it’s getting harder to find single words in .eth not sure a random term is worth 150 dollars
Hi DeniseDahmer,

Unstoppable Domains is onboarding millions of new users into the Web3 revolution. For this, we need to encourage the current internet ecosystem to jump in. Therefore, we protected the most recognizable terms and brand names to combat squatting. Our team manually inspects all domains before they become available.

Locked domains may be released either as a Premium or kept as a Protected for a trademark claim. If the domain fits your brand, please fill out this form to be reviewed: https://unstoppabledomains.com/tm

Alternatively, you can watchlist the items and get a notification a few days before the release. Pricing tiers for regular domains are covered here:
https://support.unstoppabledomains.com/support/solutions/articles/48001184253-pricing-tiers-for-regular-domains

Please come to our 1-1 live chat if you have any more doubts or questions. We work 24/7.
https://support.unstoppabledomains.com/

•••
Welcome to NP. I have a few .cryptos from you.

•••
Hi James,

It is within no registrar’s best interests to replicate existing TLDs as it only causes conflicts and mutual harm. Technically, anyone can create an NFT domain; the critical part is their working applications.

-UD Team
What does that mean for the collision with the original Handshake tld NFT/ and the UD .nft extension created afterwards? I understand that these are on different chains. Was always curious about this. Handshake respected TLD availability by not allowing anything within the top Alexa 100k to be registered for example, was wondering what consideration/stance you have shown to other decentralized chains with previous TLD availability.

I am not so sure ICANN will give the same consideration in the future. Though, they are not crypto-based.

Thanks for your participation here, looking forward to more of it.

•••
"Alternative" extensions have been tried many times in the past. This is just the latest attempt.

One example -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New.net

ICANN won't care. ICANN will delegate the extensions on the standard DNS root servers.

Unstoppable Domains has no exclusive rights to these terms, especially as extensions on the standard root servers. Anyone can have any extension they want if they have special software or settings.

Most of these extensions will have many applicants, and go to auction likely selling for many millions.

In my view that makes these kind of obsolete either way. Either Unstoppable wins these via ICANN auction, or another party does.

1.) If Unstoppable wins them then they will resolve on standard DNS root servers in any browser without the need for special software or settings. That is superior to needing special software and settings. It also negates the entire argument about "decentralization".

or

2.) If another party wins .crypto for example, the options will be a .crypto domain that needs special software or settings to work...or a .crypto domain on the standard DNS root servers that would work in any browser without the need of special software or settings.

Basically in either situation the ICANN delegated extension on the standard DNS severs is far superior when it comes to actual usage.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Locked domains may be released either as a Premium or kept as a Protected for a trademark claim. If the domain fits your brand, please fill out this form to be reviewed: https://unstoppabledomains.com/tm

Alternatively, you can watchlist the items and get a notification a few days before the release. Pricing tiers for regular domains are covered here:
https://support.unstoppabledomains.com/support/solutions/articles/48001184253-pricing-tiers-for-regular-domains

Who collects the money on these "premium" domains?

I am sorry, but how is this "decentralized" if one party is controlling the supply of these domains. It sure sounds like a central registry, which would kind of then not be "decentralized".

This sounds about as "decentralized" as a currency like Ripple is.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Sounds like a risk not worth risking. Domain gets stolen and you're screwed. There's value in the existing system, even if it does have it's flaws. There's breaking free and then there's making something that when you get it wrong there's no redress. Move to cocacola1.eth instead..?

Full disclosure: I don't have a lot of knowledge about these things, but I'm up for a discussion.

Last edited:
•••
What does that mean for the collision with the original Handshake tld NFT/ and the UD .nft extension created afterwards? I understand that these are on different chains. Was always curious about this. Handshake respected TLD availability by not allowing anything within the top Alexa 100k to be registered for example, was wondering what consideration/stance you have shown to other decentralized chains with previous TLD availability.

I am not so sure ICANN will give the same consideration in the future. Though, they are not crypto-based.

Thanks for your participation here, looking forward to more of it.
I doubt they'll decide to do that cause they won't make their 100$ processing fees if they do that.

Another thought on the existing domain name system... It is pretty much decentralised as much as is practically possible...? Registries run different parts of it, no one country runs it anymore...?

Last edited:
•••
I doubt they'll decide to do that cause they won't make their 100$ processing fees if they do that.

Another thought on the existing domain name system... It is pretty much decentralised as much as is practically possible...? Registries run different parts of it, no one country runs it anymore...?
Decentralization is more of total domain ownership I think, not the country. For example traditional domains will always be under ICANN, blockchain domains you have the ability to actually run them yourselves with no other authority. Kind of cool, but also not depending on the influence the domains can have in the real world.

•••
Decentralization is more of total domain ownership I think, not the country. For example traditional domains will always be under ICANN, blockchain domains you have the ability to actually run them yourselves with no other authority. Kind of cool, but also not depending on the influence the domains can have in the real world.
Agreed, it's kind've cool until you realise it exists on A (random) blockchain. I think it's a non starter because if you can't control it properly when required then it won't gain mainstream adoption, because we want something that can be controlled. It's not the same as bitcoin, bitcoin was supposed to be escaping the system, it's not in practicality cause of regulation and the fact that people are using it to trade fiat and make money, but domains are a guarantee to the world that you're going where you expect to when you type something in, it requires more than "an agreement on a protocol" amongst people on the network, it requires agreement amongst everyone in the world to be useful. It has that in it's current form, it can be controlled and we have a system that ensures that domains don't get abused to the extent that is practical in our system. It's underpinned by our laws.

If you want to deviate from the mainstream you have many options that don't include registering a traditional domain name. Anyone can host their own DNS and anyone can use your DNS for domain name resolution. No blockchain required.

Last edited:
•••
Agreed, it's kind've cool until you realise it exists on A (random) blockchain. I think it's a non starter because if you can't control it properly when required then it won't gain mainstream adoption, because we want something that can be controlled.
I think that right there is the issue (on top of resolution issues) where a very powerful word like say, Health, could be delegated to a sole entity with absolute control.

But I think this stuff will work itself out in the end, in a different way than we are used to like current system where TMs and registries have so much authority over a name because we really don't own it, more of a lease which gives authority to someone else rather than ourselves. I'm still grappling with what's worse in the end.

•••
Agreed, it's kind've cool until you realise it exists on A (random) blockchain. I think it's a non starter because if you can't control it properly when required then it won't gain mainstream adoption, because we want something that can be controlled. It's not the same as bitcoin, bitcoin was supposed to be escaping the system, it's not in practicality cause of regulation and the fact that people are using it to trade fiat and make money, but domains are a guarantee to the world that you're going where you expect to when you type something in, it requires more than "an agreement on a protocol" amongst people on the network, it requires agreement amongst everyone in the world to be useful. It has that in it's current form, it can be controlled and we have a system that ensures that domains don't get abused to the extent that is practical in our system. It's underpinned by our laws.

If you want to deviate from the mainstream you have many options that don't include registering a traditional domain name. Anyone can host their own DNS and anyone can use your DNS for domain name resolution. No blockchain required.
I personally just see the use of "decentralization" as a trendy marketing buzz word. For anything to scale to the general public you need structure and order.

The average person generally just wants something that works. Is the wild west of no authority really better than a central authority? Do we need thousands of different extensions on random blockchains?

Are thousands of random crypto really better than fiat currency?

The average person goes to an average job, puts money in their standard bank, pays with a credit card. The average person who wants a domain will buy one that exists under ICANN authority that just works.

The people who market "decentralization" gloss over the major negatives like safety and security.

I have known several people into crypto, NFT, etc. that have been screwed one way or another. Scams, theft, exchanges disappearing with holdings, even making mistakes with a wallet address, etc. Many are shocked to find out there is no recourse like in the normal financial system.

What is worse a central authority, or no authority when it comes to things like theft, trademark abuse, and many other potential nefarious things?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
yea go buy some unsellable crap names

•••
Sounds attractive, welcome to Namepros!

•••
I personally just see the use of "decentralization" as a trendy marketing buzz word. For anything to scale to the general public you need structure and order.

The average person generally just wants something that works. Is the wild west of no authority really better than a central authority? Do we need thousands of different extensions on random blockchains?

The average person goes to an average job, puts money in their standard bank, pays with a credit card. The average person who wants a domain will buy one that exists under ICANN authority that just works.

The people who market "decentralization" gloss over the major negatives like safety and security.

I have known several people into crypto, NFT, etc. that have been screwed one way or another. Scams, theft, exchanges disappearing with holdings, even making mistakes with a wallet address, etc. Many are shocked to find out there is no recourse like in the normal financial system.

What is worse a central authority, or no authority when it comes to things like theft, trademark abuse, and many other potential nefarious things?

Brad
I agree with you that the average person only wants something that works, and that is generally not interested in the tech behind everything. And with creating good abstraction over blockchain, a user won’t need to know a lot about the underlying concepts (in this case, in and outs of the blockchain).

Also, I agree that there are a lot of buzzwords, both from marketing and tech communities. A lot of them try to ride the wave of blockchain, implementing it and using it where any other database would be a much, much better solution.

And here is the “problematic” part: security. When you say you know people who were screwed in crypto/NFT, I can bet that you know a few of them who were screwed in some fiat exchange, no matter what it actually was. Banks go out of business, inflation, great world depressions, economic crises, and so on, are all products of a centralized financial system. And we can expect them in the future as well as we saw them in the past. Millions are affected when a few don’t play by the rules in a centralized system.

There are scams in crypto, just like there are scams in centralized systems. Crypto might be used for illegal activities as well as fiat can, and is, since the dawn of time.

The point is, no matter the system, people will find a way to screw other people. That is just how (some) people operate. Not that the decentralized systems are bad per see, just as that centralized systems are not good per se. Or bad, for that matter.

To go on topic, in NFT domains I like the idea of owning it for life, and that once I bought it, it is mine for life. UnstoppableDomains can go out of business (I hope they won’t :)), but even if they do, a domain name is mine, safely stored on the public blockchain, forever. And no one can take it away or meddle with it in any way.

There are some shortcomings in the current state of NFT domains. They are still not usable in major browsers (as web domains) without an extension, public trust is not that great, etc. But now is still the good time to get a hold of a name, a good name, before it is gone for good.

Anyway, this was an unintentionally long post. Think twice before buying anything I’d like to say (and then think again), but also think about the potential value. Both centralized and decentralized systems have flaws. We saw a lot of centralized financial systems f*ups in our lifetime. Decentralized systems are not immune to them. They just operate on another, different, level.

•••
I bought my business name as a .zil ages ago and keep forgetting I have it. Bought it to experiment with, nothing more

•••
Who do you trust more, random startup or a system that people agree upon globally for decades now...

•••
Who do you trust more, random startup or a system that people agree upon globally for decades now...
Are you saying you've never went against the odds? Do you think, decades ago, there were people that ridiculed this whole "domain system" thing?

What about 5 years from now, and then 10, for these "random startup" Web3 domains, when they are even more established. And when even more people have agreed upon them. What then? Will there be yet another excuse as to why not rather than why to?

I'm glad we have status-quo breakers and risk-takers in the domain name realm because without them the bus to Boringville seems awfully crowded..

•••
Are you saying you've never went against the odds? Do you think, decades ago, there were people that ridiculed this whole "domain system" thing?

What about 5 years from now, and then 10, for these "random startup" Web3 domains, when they are even more established. And when even more people have agreed upon them. What then? Will there be yet another excuse as to why not rather than why to?

I'm glad we have status-quo breakers and risk-takers in the domain name realm because without them the bus to Boringville seems awfully crowded..
We already have a domain system and its bloody popular and useful. The people investing in unstoppable domains ONLY want to make a quick buck, that is all. At least the existing domain name system has people using it as well as people trying to make a quick buck.

Last edited:
•••

Brad
Who collects the money on these "premium" domains?

I am sorry, but how is this "decentralized" if one party is controlling the supply of these domains. It sure sounds like a central registry, which would kind of then not be "decentralized".

This sounds about as "decentralized" as a currency like Ripple is.

Brad
I completly agree.

I think the notion of "decentralisation" is an unworkable myth. Someone, somewhere will always have the power. Whether thats the power to decide who can have what name or who can post what content on that name etc there is never going to be complete freedom.

I also think "decentralisation" isn't what the vast majority of people want. Nobody wants a lawless Wild West where anyone can do anything. People need rules, structure and guidence or everything decends into chaos.

It wouldnt suprise me if some elements of a "web3" catch on but at some point a "web3" Amazon will rise up and everything is back to what it is now with big companies taking control. The more I think about it the more I realise that "decentralisation" is a pipe dream thought up and pushed by people looking to make a quick buck.

•••
@UnstoppableDomains

Since you are promoting blockchain domains, Why you choose then to build your website on a dot com ?

Imagine Elon musk driving Ferrari or even GoDaddy hosting their main website on Hostgator.

Last edited:
•••
@UnstoppableDomains

Since you are promoting blockchain domains, Why you choose then to build your website on a dot com ?

Imagine Elon musk driving Ferrari or even GoDaddy hosting their main website on Hostgator.

Because they need a domain that actually resolves in a normal browser and doesn't need special software and/or settings. :)

Brad

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back