Dominion.Domains

Generally...Are New gTLD's Becoming Mainstream?

Labeled as discuss in gTLD Discussion started by Silentptnr, Jan 25, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. dordomai

dordomai Active Member VIP

daily hype

https://www.namepros.com/threads/com-is-not-king-anymore.1063548/#post-6555287

if you disagree with the hype you are called a hater.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Alessandro Couteau

Alessandro Couteau Active Member VIP

Why does Citi Bank own Mortgage.biz and Mortgage.com

I think companies are especially private what they think about the domain industry, this game we all play. The under appreciation of these names is what makes them valuable for future usage. And as you scalded me a year ago for my purchase on the domain,

Easy.Credit ! Well my family and I built it out ;) and we just finished acquiring Mortgage.Loans ~ I would not consider our investments speculation and I believe without equivocation the world is changing, and more importantly for all of us here, the digital world is changing with AI, AR, VR, and blockchain revolutionizing the way the consumer thinks ... I don't agree with some investments out there, namely BTC but I understand that the people will follow the money ...

Will see what happens

3. Alessandro Couteau

Completely unrelated to this discussion but I would be careful about Crypto; BTC fell 20% in a day last week ... That's a scary investment and there are speaks of tethering being involved; manipulating the pricing of the market valuation on these coins ... If that's true, it could be a major bloodbath; no wonder China and SK have banned exchanges all together

4. lolwarrior

lolwarrior Founder, Brands.International VIP

Honestly, I am not a crypto expert plus I do not have a crystal ball, so I can not predict whether all those companies will fail or not...but if you can predict that with certainty, then kudos! :)

5. dordomai

dordomai Active Member VIP

I am not investing in crypto at this point, that is long term investing and I would not recommend to do so unless you want to risk losing your entire investment.. I do short term trades. I do not think this could be called investment. It is trading at best, if done improperly it is gambling. That being said one can make a lot of money still but I do not think it will last.

6. D Haynes

D Haynes Active Member VIP

Well I just had the biggest surprise of my week...

Watching TV, one of the mainstream channels no less, then I see it, an advert for .London domains! The whole premiss of the advert is showing a .com name then going the .com out of the way with a .London!

I'm still in shock lol

7. Canadian

Canadian new gTLD enthusiast

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  8. D Haynes

First time I've ever seen anything like this for any extension on TV. If the new gTLDs are to be successful, that's exactly what they need to do.

9. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2010 - 2018 VIP

Yes but how successful can they be, talk about a limited target audience.

10. D Haynes

Yeah they're never going to be huge but 10 out of 10 to them for effort. It's more than I've seen from any other registry. Full disclosure - I'd never buy a .London domain lol.

11. Altoz

Altoz Established Member

I only think that all the new nTLD trend is incredibly confusing and something else that I can not write here :)
    It also means that you can take anything and use the new nTLD? What a mess!
    I am not following the nTLD, but I just read they are over 1000? How sweet, so I can register i.e. pizza.london, pizza.paris etc.etc.etc
    It will need a lot of promotion to bang the url into people's head. I can't help it - I don't get it, but who cares..

12. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I don't understand those geoTLDs that are competing against strong ccTLDs.
    .london vs .co.uk
    .berlin has about 50K registrations vs 16 million .de
    Good luck.
    Do we need that many TLDs ? What is the problem we are trying to solve ?

13. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2010 - 2018 VIP

Yup, that was what I was thinking too. Kinda like saying I'll open a competitor for starbucks but only in London. Growth will be fairly limited.

14. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

Berlin was given away free to residents on initial release for the first year I believe, it was one of the first geo's out of the gate back in 2014. Good marketing, and buzz back then, but that has quickly evaporated now.

Majority of extensions are spending nothing on marketing, what does that tell you, they are not getting a return on their marketing budgets, best for them to just use promo pricing year 1, and hope for renewals, and there is still a bunch of people who will bleed out in this sector.

There are plenty that were going to give this 5 years to take off, but many of them exited at year 3.

15. Altoz

Altoz Established Member

No we don't, but who are we :) I think it's really unfortunate what's happening.

16. DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI Owner of ▲ the most expensive domain of all time. Gold Account

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  17. Alessandro Couteau

I presume they are working on a site ;)

Attached Files:

18. DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI Owner of ▲ the most expensive domain of all time. Gold Account

I saw this store (with that lettering) too, a while ago (live, in my home town).

19. Altoz

Altoz Established Member

who cares
    register the rest if you want

Just yesterday I stumble on registrar where I saw hundreds of extensions (I couldn't count them) and I only could wonder where is this confusing crap going

20. Alessandro Couteau

Some make sense. Others don't

21. DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

No idea why you are "confused" (?) by new TLDs, no idea why you call them "crap" (?).
    Another TLD is simply another, different word.
    In real life you are also using different words - so what exactly is confusing there?
    New TLDs are a bless for the www and it's future.

22. Altoz

Altoz Established Member

Exactly for that - "bless for the www and it's future" - I STRONGLY feel the opposite. Actually the "group" is not that bad, but still, very confusing for future of www.
    Yes, I can think of thousand of use for .group, I see limited use for end user, but not my bag of tea for running around to sell them.
    gay.group
    peace.group
    bi.group
    etc., etc.
    Any of the above have probably huge advertising budget, very specific followers and in this case it will work for them.

Regardless, it's my opinion and you have yours. We both have our take on it and our right to see the way we see it. Future will show who is right ;) Regardless I wish you and other all the rest best of success. Personally I am purist and will stick with .com only.

Peace bro

BTW: You can see huge amount extensions that you can use at: joker.com
    I saw it yesterday as I sold 2 domains that will be pushed there.

23. DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

I am sure you agree that it's a bless to have a broad pallete of...
    ...different foods in the world, for example.
    Imagine there would be only one food.

It's your right to be against diversity in TLD's but it's strange.
    Different TLD's are made for different use cases, .com is a "relict" from "ancient times" when the possibilities where limited and there is no reason to "stick with .com" since there are TLDs which have a meaning.

.group enduser websites are mainly industrial websites

GOOGLE https://www.google.com/search?q=site:.group
    BING https://www.bing.com/search?q=site:.group
    BAIDU https://www.baidu.com/s?wd=site:.group

In the meanwhile nearly every registrar offers nearly every TLD and no one is confused in fact, I think it's just dramatization.

peace back ;)

24. Altoz

Altoz Established Member

Via Google .group 425,000 it's not that much.
    Ok, take other scenario: replace ALL the 425,000 with other hundreds of extensions.
    What do you get? BIG mess - no dramatization.

Variety of food and other goods? Good example? ;) When I eat, I love to enjoy good, tasty food, not just stuff myself. I like to enjoy my food. Same for the cars - I did my racing in Datsun 510, Mini Cooper S, Honda, Porsche etc (they were great cars), but again I prefer only Porsche and second choice Mercedes. The rest can drive what they like. It boils down to taste, knowledge, means etc. Some even ride a horse and are happy as well....
    Yes, there's place for everything and everybody in this world.

It depends from what angle you are looking at the new extension, as:
    registrar
    domainer
    investor
    small end user
    corporation
    etc.
    Plus I see some TM problems as well.

Anyway, I am just focusing on selling ALL my domains and I am out of domaining. No drama ;)
    Cheers,

25. DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

I can't help - also if I imagine your described scenario, I still can't see anyyy messs
    It wouldn't matter how many TLDs there are, the result would allways be the same:

NOOO MESSS

WHYYY???

Because I prefer the TLD .top which I see as the top - TLD under all TLDs, I think there is no further explanation needed why, it's self explaining.

If you are focussed to the top, you don't see any mess (or: "you can handle every mess").

I prefer all the top things in life.
    I example, top design, top technics, top food... ...top cars and therefore I prefer the .top TLD.

Best wishes with your attempt to sell all your domains and to leave the domain industryyy

+++

@nP moderation:

Stop deleting my posts!
    They are myyy opinion and you are here to protect it!
    And not to delete it!

No matter how often I use the term "top" or how often I write about the TLD .top which is the top - TLD in myyy opinion!
    Because I allways use it / write about it in context!

All the top,

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!