IT.COM

discuss General Public is Seriously Clueless

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
My day job allows me to meet people in all sorts of industries. When possible, I try to identify opportunities to introduce my customers to the nGTLDs.

Thing is, since 2014, I have yet to meet someone in the general public who has a clue on the new G's. From business owners to regular folk. Even people who have owned traditional extensions since the 90s have never heard of them. And every single time that I have opened a discussion geared to new G's and matching their existing brand with an EMD, there has been nothing but positive feedback and a "wow- I had no idea, that is awesome" attitude, along with almost an immediate desire to get regging.

On Wednesday during one of my tours I noticed my customer had his brand stamped onto all of his equipment. He's a DJ, his brand is DJ Verse One. Pretty cool name, actually. Anyhow, here's a skinny transcript of how it went:

HotKey: "I noticed your business name, DJ Verse One. Pretty cool. Do you happen to have a website to go with it?"

Regular Joe: "Yes I do! It is www•djverseone•com. I have owned it since 1999."

HotKey: "Nice! Hey, did you know that there is an actual dot-one extension. You can literally match your entire name without using the "com".

Regular Joe (jaw has dropped): "Your kidding?!"

HotKey: "Nope. In fact, there's hundreds of new dots that have been released. Almost everyone can have domains exactly matching their business name."

Regular Joe: "Do you think GoDaddy has this?"

HotKey: "I'm willing to bet they do, and I'm willing to bet your name is available for registration."

At this point, my customer is beside himself with excitement. I am not kidding. He yells out to his kid to fire up the laptop and go to GoDaddy and search for djverse•one. Amazingly, his kid understood right away; didn't even question the extension and knew exactly what to type. So there the name pops up on their laptop, available.

Regular Joe (shouting to kid): "Put it in the cart, put it in the cart, quick before someone takes it!"

Now the wife walks into the room and wants in on the action. But she's the cautious one. Looking at me dubiously, asks "What's your role in all this?" I proceeded to explain that I invest in names that I believe have a great future, and love connecting people to something that suits them. I also explained I would never dream of purposely infringing on anyones current brand or business. What I do, I said, is take plain ol' dictionary words and combine them with the dot to create a complete name solution.

That put her at ease, and then they wanted to know if I had a website. So I gave them my genuine.domains site, and their kid had an absolute blast persuing through my names. Looks up at me and says "I get it! I get why you called it Genuine Domains!" That seriously put a smile on my face. He continued on my site for the rest of my visit, even discovers his favorite name, Mrs.Fashion. I think this kid's gonna be hooked, he's got a good eye.

It's up to us to plant the seed. The reward will come later..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm just saying that websites can set cPanel to forward www to no www

Eventually the www may no longer display in the address bar similar to the fact that http no longer display in the address bar of some browsers. If chrome decides to simplify and not show www then it will start to disappear and we will no longer need this (in my opinion) useless feature of www.

I totally understand the protocol difference from the sub domain aspect but the concept of elimination to simplify is the same.

Not arguing HotKey, just giving a thought out loud.

Last edited:
•••
www is totally outdated and just makes unnecessary clatter everywhere.

•••
^ to be fair so is having .com at the end of your web address

•••
.com is still king! not even talking about the new extensions I always ask people to name one .net that they can remember and I get a reply maybe 10% of the time. I read somewhere there is a reason your smartphone has a .com button...

•••
P.s. fails the radio test and causes confusion. 1 or one.
Radio test failure..true. That is dot-one's Achilles heel. Imagine trying to sell something like internetversion2.one to regular joe:

Regular Joe: You mean your selling version 2.1 of the internet?
Investor: No no, its the domain name that is internetversion2.one.
Regular Joe: Oh ok. So like internet version 2, and then the dot, and then the number 1.
Investor: Exactly. except the number 1 is not the number 1, but the word one.
Regular Joe: It'd be better if it was the number.
Investor: Ah, forget it.

Funny though now that I think about it Regular Joe from original story never questioned whether the ending was a number or a word, but a very likely scenario.

•••
I read somewhere there is a reason your smartphone has a .com button...
I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact both .com and smartphones have been around way longer. Even so, once the G's mature there would be no way for any phone to fit all all those extensions. Brings up an interesting thought though, which could be an auto-dot completion. For example you start inputting a domain and your browser/phone finish the ending for you..:)

•••
I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact both .com and smartphones have been around way longer. Even so, once the G's mature there would be no way for any phone to fit all all those extensions. Brings up an interesting thought though, which could be an auto-dot completion. For example you start inputting a domain and your browser/phone finish the ending for you..:)

Lol.... me thinks any phone that comes out now with a .com button... sure as hell ain't "smart" :)

At the end of the day, if the biggest player in the Internet, the one company that can pretty much influence the entire planet and shape the way the Internet moves forward (Yes, also probably one of the most evil companies as well) has bought into the nGTLD's concept then there really is no argument, it's a given that they will be around for a long time and the general population will be conditioned to familiarize themselves with nGTLD's.

Some might say...but public perception is that these are confusing. To that I say, there is no public perception... public perception is whatever Google wants the public perception to be.

Last edited:
•••
just came across this today, a friend of mine posted on Facebook that he just started working there

DXC.TECHNOLOGY , according to wiki they have 170K employees !!!

imagine all the outgoing emails( if they are using the same url for emails), things will start moving fast for the gtld I guess.

•••
... public perception is whatever Google wants the public perception to be.
Exactly, and scary...:) This is why it's so important for us to be out there actually talking. The results we get from internet searches are often skewed, many times the result of expert SEO'ing rather than relevence to the truth. It's like when you see those stories in the paper "Talk has been swirling...the verdict is in....the general concensus is..." it's all geared towards what someone wants you to think.

•••
Exactly, and scary...:) This is why it's so important for us to be out there actually talking. The results we get from internet searches are often skewed, many times the result of expert SEO'ing rather than relevence to the truth. It's like when you see those stories in the paper "Talk has been swirling...the verdict is in....the general concensus is..." it's all geared towards what someone wants you to think.

Exactly dude!..... people are too busy getting force fed trivial BS like who's d*ck kim kardashian is sitting on now and they are conditioned to take more interest in that sorta of cr@p than the fracking happening in their back yard...

•••
The story read like some corny 50's sitcom...

Dad to son: "Well hey there junior, fire up the ole laptop and get us one of those shiny new web addresses!"

Junior spins around in awe, "Hey paw! We got it! We got it! Aww golly gee Dad, aint it swell?"

Skeptical Mom, realizing this gentlemanly stranger has not set out to bamboozle her family locks in an embrace with her husband, they briefly kiss, lips firmly shut tight. Father breaks away to flash an award winning smile to the camera, alittle twinkle on a front tooth as he gives the audience a hardy thumbs up....

•••
@deez007 Yes!! Man, I refuse to even type that name...

@Jingles Haha thats awesome!

•••
^ to be fair so is having .com at the end of your web address
not the same. without www you can go to website address, without .com you go to Google..

•••
your right abc.xyz makes sense (perfect sense actually) most other names with that extension do not.. and thats the issue. Everyone that got get.rich and cash.loan names are set....people banking on yoga.loan maybe renewing their name a few more times until they get an offer. imo buying a one word gtld that doesnt make sense is like buying a reverse or wrong plural .com loansautos.com

also a ton of stories like this...parse.ly buys parsely.com
http://domainnamewire.com/2013/07/2...se-ly-got-its-name-and-why-it-bought-the-com/

Last edited:
•••
The general public are our customers they are the ones paying end user prices.
They have also been buying all sorts of odd extensions for years.

•••
Great but you forgot this part:

Bob: "Hey Joe, you did a great job DJ'ing at Dan's wedding, my fiancé and I had a great time. Say, do you have a website so we can look into booking you for our upcoming wedding?

Regular Joe: "Hey Bob! Thanks! Yeah, I do have a website actually, go to www dot djverse dot one.

Bob: "Ok, so www.djverseone.com then? Ok we'll check it out!"

Regular Joe: "No no, its www dot djverse DOT ONE"

Bob: "Dot one? So theres no DOT com at the end?"

Regular Joe: "Correct, no dot com, just dot one... www djverse dot one, not dot com, just dot one

Bob: :yawn:

Regular Joe: "Yeah, some guy told me about these "new" domain name extensions..pretty crazy eh? He told me there's sooooo much opportunity now for small businesses like myself to get online. I just gotta figure out how to market this new domain name of mine, I'm thinking I'll probably go national in about a year or so, can you imagine me and Steve Aoki up on stage together..man, the possibilities are endless! Oh sorry, I was just imagining all the new possibilities I have...as if running a small business today isn't hard enough, right?"

Bob: "Ok Ok Ok, so www dot djverse dot com dot one, right?

Regular Joe: "Ok Bob, I'll tell you what, just go to www dot djverseone dot com and it'll forward you to my dot one site, ok?"

Bob: "www dot djverseone dot com, got it! Looking forward to having you at our wedding Joe!"

Last edited:
•••
•••
Lol... I'm shocked that people still ask...but to me it's a clear gauge of how "uninformed" so many people are...

f*ck

is it all low caps or not???

you didn't answer it

•••
Great but you forgot this part:

Bob: "Hey Joe, you did a great job DJ'ing at Dan's wedding, my fiancé and I had a great time. Say, do you have a website so we can look into booking you for our upcoming wedding?

Regular Joe: "Hey Bob! Thanks! Yeah, I do have a website actually, go to www dot djverse dot one.

Bob: "Ok, so www.djverseone.com then? Ok we'll check it out!"

Regular Joe: "No no, its www dot djverse DOT ONE"

Bob: "Dot one? So theres no DOT com at the end?"

Regular Joe: "Correct, no dot com, just dot one... www djverse dot one, not dot com, just dot one

Bob: :yawn:

Regular Joe: "Yeah, some guy told me about these "new" domain name extensions..pretty crazy eh? He told me there's sooooo much opportunity now for small businesses like myself to get online. I just gotta figure out how to market this new domain name of mine, I'm thinking I'll probably go national in about a year or so, can you imagine me and Steve Aoki up on stage together..man, the possibilities are endless! Oh sorry, I was just imagining all the new possibilities I have...as if running a small business today isn't hard enough, right?"

Bob: "Ok Ok Ok, so www dot djverse dot com dot one, right?

Regular Joe: "Ok Bob, I'll tell you what, just go to www dot djverseone dot com and it'll forward you to my dot one site, ok?"

Bob: "www dot djverseone dot com, got it! Looking forward to having you at our wedding Joe!"

Interesting how you deliberately write the .one domain out to make it look fugly compared to the .com
It is not: www dot djverse dot one VS www.djveresone.com

It is in fact: www.DjVerse.one Vs www.DjVerseOne.com

This particular .one domain might have loose the radio test compared to the .com
but it knocks the .com out the ball park in the EYE test (Aestechically appealing)

The above scenario you painted is all but one of a few million possibilities or outcomes that could happen

OR

Bob: "Ahhh, thats very cool. I see you using one of these new thingy domain names... I've seen a couple of those around. It actually works nicely with your company name... Interesting indeed... I wonder if they have something cool for the soccer club I run here in Dallas, we been meaning to put up a site and will get down to it in a few weeks time. Will see if we can get a cool domain that works with our club. Most of the members are youngsters so they would probably love a catchy new domain
=======

The point is for every fictional possible scenario you write there exists and equal and alternative possibility or scenario. So why bother basing your argument on a fictional scenario compared to the OP's real life scenario. :xf.confused:

Last edited:
•••
djverse.one still parked at godaddy. we need at least 1 month time to see what will the owner do to this dot one domain before creating another useless fictional delusion

•••
djverse.one still parked at godaddy. we need at least 1 month time to see what will the owner do to this dot one domain before creating another useless fictional delusion
He's got an established site, he's in no rush. I think he got it more for the "pride of ownership" as it perfectly matched his DJ'ing company name.

I'll be more interested in seeing whether the name gets renewed next year or not.

•••
He's got an established site, he's in no rush. I think he got it more for the "pride of ownership" as it perfectly matched his DJ'ing company name.

I'll be more interested in seeing whether the name gets renewed next year or not.

Maybe hit him up and show him how to redirect the domain to his current site...so at least he can use the better-looking domain - www.DJverse.one - on his business cards and print media in the mean time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back