IT.COM

General Drop Catching question

NameSilo
Watch

dazzlenovak

Established Member
Impact
Hi and i am newbie here. I just want to clarify basic mechanics of drop domains catching. Here are we go:

I can choose from Pre Releases and Pending Delete domains

1. As i noticed here at the related thread there is better to start from Pre Releases domains. Do i understand correct, that Pre Releases domains these are those who:
  • already not belong to registrant and selling by Registrar for the last chance before they start to be "PendingDelete"? or;
  • still belong to someone (human) - new "person" who recently bought the domain? - if so, why the domain is already selling? And a "person" bought the domain before its deletion phase and even didn't pay to extend the domain for some years forward? Wtf? I confused about it sorry.
What are Pre Releases domains, simply put?

. So If i want a Pre Release domain - do i have to go to the Registrar auction or if they haven't it, just email them directly with my offer for the domain? I asking this because last time when i was trying to buy any Pre Releases domains, many of them expire only at the end of 2023 y. As you can see, i have a lot of confusion in understanding of how to get pre release domain correctly?

. It is worth noting that most of the Pre Releases domains from the daily list (5000) that I worked with are complete garbage. I understand that such domains are less valuable? If yes, why?

4. If it's easy enough to get a Pre Release domain - Imagine i have a domain that i want to buy and it's expire at 24.03.2023. This domain will definetely be the Pre Release domain soon or not? If yes, where and when i can buy it?

And i guess that there are many people with it gap in knowledge. I will be very grateful if anyone could help me understand this.

5. My domain is in Pending Delete status. I'm talking about a good domain in terms of seo in general, not a beautiful or branded domain. This means that very soon, at a certain hour and at a certain second, it will be intercepted by some of the drop cat. services, right? Or is there still a chance that it won't be catched and will be available to everyone?

His alternate fate is to be intercepted by something less than drop-catching service, correct? For example, a webmaster working with his own software.

If no one cares about the domain, then it will be available from any of the registrars at the best price. Is it even possible?

Suppose the domain drops in a minute. I go to his url - but I get a blank page or server response. Most likely, I'm already too late. Where do I go to find this domain if it's been bought up? (like DropCatch and others)

6. Regardless things above: what is the most optimal strategy for me to get this Pending Delete domain?

• Use DropCatch with backorder option?
  • Use DropCatch without backorder option?
  • Try to calculate the exact drop time and buy it yourself? (without software)
  • Forget everything and play computer games
Thank you for reading to the end in my crooked English. Hope you have time to answer me.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thanks for sharing tips. any particular strategy you can suggest for catching expiring domain with low budget.
I shall be thankful to you if you share something because these days i have not particular source of income.
If you feel the name can make you money 100%, than pay the snapname and dropcatch price (you only pay if they catch it for you) to catch it for you.

Anyone that is not ready to lose ALL their investment, does not belong in this business.

If you see a name that you know can make you 25 dollars a month in parking, sure, pay the money to catch it. If you see a name you know someone is ready to pay you 500 for it, sure pay to catch it.

In most cases people in this business buy names and wait for years to sell it. Most names will never ever sell. The few that make money in this business have deep pockets and can wait for a long time for a small percent of their portfolio to sell at a big premium.

You need to share more about why you are even involved in this name, what your plans are. Maybe you have an idea to build a product or service on it?

•••
The term Pre Release means different things depending on the platform you are on. Are you looking at NameJet or DropCatch?

On DropCatch a pre release is name that is owned by the sister/parent company of DropCatch (HD HugeDomains) or names by people that registered at NameBright. If you win a name there, within minutes of paying usually the name will be in your NameBright account. Do not worry about the expiration date you see in whois.

On NameJet you must look to see if the Pre Release is a private seller or Expiry, it says right on the page. Depending on the type of sale, the name can end up in your account within days or sometimes a week or so.

If the pending delete name you are looking for really has value in SEO, someone else will try to get it to using software or by hiring a catcher. If you feel it is worth it, hire a catcher.

•••
If you feel the name can make you money 100%, than pay the snapname and dropcatch price (you only pay if they catch it for you) to catch it for you.

Anyone that is not ready to lose ALL their investment, does not belong in this business.

If you see a name that you know can make you 25 dollars a month in parking, sure, pay the money to catch it. If you see a name you know someone is ready to pay you 500 for it, sure pay to catch it.

In most cases people in this business buy names and wait for years to sell it. Most names will never ever sell. The few that make money in this business have deep pockets and can wait for a long time for a small percent of their portfolio to sell at a big premium.

You need to share more about why you are even involved in this name, what your plans are. Maybe you have an idea to build a product or service on it?
thanks for sharing extra tips. actually i registered domain and hosting for the purpose to do affiliate marketing and then somehow went in this business because i feel interest in it because i love to do research and analyses.
After analysis of thousands of godaddy auction domains i come to conclusion that this business fits for people with big money and time to invest.
I honestly need regular income so i am thinking of going back again to do affiliate marketing.

Last edited:
•••
Brother i am also new here and what you have asked that what i know from experience domain investors here but they will now tell their secret recipe. I already know.
They will again and again go and read beginner resources without telling right path to earning some money in this business.

•••
5. My domain is in Pending Delete status. I'm talking about a good domain in terms of seo in general, not a beautiful or branded domain. This means that very soon, at a certain hour and at a certain second, it will be intercepted by some of the drop cat. services, right? Or is there still a chance that it won't be catched and will be available to everyone?

His alternate fate is to be intercepted by something less than drop-catching service, correct? For example, a webmaster working with his own software.

If no one cares about the domain, then it will be available from any of the registrars at the best price. Is it even possible?

Suppose the domain drops in a minute. I go to his url - but I get a blank page or server response. Most likely, I'm already too late. Where do I go to find this domain if it's been bought up? (like DropCatch and others)

I can answer this one.

First, you're right - the best domains will be grabbed by DropCatch.com immediately. You'll never get those without paying up.

There is definitely a second level too where people like me grab domains with scripts. I drop catch a lot of .com domains with a simple PHP script I wrote. You can hire someone on fiverr to do the same for you, or you can try to write it yourself.

I use the Namecheap API to register my names. I think I get about 1/20 that I target. You can still get good domains at this level - for example, I grabbed Shoe//Seek[.com] and Vivid//Com[.com] this week (both in .com).

There are also names that will not be grabbed at all, but will be hand registered within a couple hours. If you're paying attention you can get some of these by registering them like anyone else, but you need to act quickly. IIRC, this is how @twiki gets a lot of his names.

The most important thing: .com's drop every day starting at 2PM EST. Your domain will almost always drop after 2PM but before 3PM. So that's the time of day you need to be watching. For example, I registered Shoe//Seek at 2:32 PM EST and Vivid//Com at 2:16 PM EST.

(All extensions drop at different times. IIRC .org domains supposedly drop at the exact time they were originally registered, but I almost always get them at 12PM EST. xyz's drop at random times during the day in my experience.)

Buying domains from GoDaddy closeouts is a lot easier, to be honest. If you're not buying a lot of names I'd just pay the extra $10-50 per name and skip the whole dropcatching ordeal.

Last edited:
•••
i think typically the term pre-release is used for when a new domain extension is being created. the registrar(s) will sometimes let you try to reserve the name you want - not a guarantee you get it of course.

if you mean already existing domain names that are set to expire, then that's different. for those, each registrar and extension may have different rules on when the actual release of that now expired/"deleted" domain.

and for any that are even close to decent i think most registrars are going to put those for auction on their sites directly. i havent tried drop catching services, so i cant comment on that.

if your domain is in Pending Delete then you unfortunately missed the grace period to renew and will have to wait and hope that it gets released for you to reacquire.

i hope that helps.

•••
The term Pre Release means different things depending on the platform you are on. Are you looking at NameJet or DropCatch?

On DropCatch a pre release is name that is owned by the sister/parent company of DropCatch (HD HugeDomains) or names by people that registered at NameBright. If you win a name there, within minutes of paying usually the name will be in your NameBright account. Do not worry about the expiration date you see in whois.

On NameJet you must look to see if the Pre Release is a private seller or Expiry, it says right on the page. Depending on the type of sale, the name can end up in your account within days or sometimes a week or so.

If the pending delete name you are looking for really has value in SEO, someone else will try to get it to using software or by hiring a catcher. If you feel it is worth it, hire a catcher.
thanks for sharing tips. any particular strategy you can suggest for catching expiring domain with low budget.
I shall be thankful to you if you share something because these days i have not particular source of income.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back