IT.COM

discuss .gdn only $2.99 but look out!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
I've tried to register some nice .gdn domains since last year but they all got rejected as reserved. They were very expensive therefore I was only going for one, maybe two.

I noticed recently that 101domain has them at $2.99 per year. WHAT, $2.99 per year? I tried many names and they had a premium price tag for the first year and a high rate per renewal. I didn't want to do that so I went looking for some $2.99 per year domains as advertised.

I wound up registering 36 chip LLL.gdn domains, 33 went through and 3 still processing. I was in heaven thinking dang LLL chips and the extension is chips too. Again I'm thinking wow just $2.99 per year while doing this.

I got to thinking tonight that this was to good to be true, so I logged in and went to renew one of the domains and the renewal is $384.99 per year.

So to make a long story short I F'd up but it was misleading saying /SALE/ .gdn $2.99 / yr.. Yes it's $2.99 for one year and then $384.99 to renew and this wan't clear to me.

I do admit that if I would have used the drop down for more years that it in fact shows the increase but I always reg a year and leave them on auto renew so I didn't click the drop down.

I reached out for an explanation as to why this isn't explained better during registration but I'm pretty sure I have one year to try and move some of these before renewal time comes around.

I've posted this as a warning, something to watch out for as I personally haven't ran into this type of situation before.

Attachments

• sale.GIF
    sale.GIF
    57 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Exactly because my experience with the .GDN spammers is personal, I have every right to share this info here before your "plug" - or should I say, spam - about this $2.99 "opportunity" sends more unsuspecting domainers towards this worthless "investment."

Telling me to type slower, that's a good one. :D

BTW I'm all against all type of spam, so go ahead, Google "XYZ spam".
Did they kick your dog or something? In one post you say that you have an objective opinion that's negative while in your next post you say that it's personal...so which is it?

•••
@usernamex I'm waiting on a reply from 101domain about their pricing, hoping they will get on track with the other registers. If not then I'll figure out how to get them all moved.

•••
Did they kick your dog or something? In one post you say that you have an objective opinion that's negative while in your next post you say that it's personal...so which is it?

You just registered here and have quite the attitude. I posted my documented view on why GDN is worthless crap after they spammed me ad nauseam. It's based on my personal experience and it's an objective review.

Now then, who kicked your dog?

•••
You just registered here and have quite the attitude. I posted my documented view on why GDN is worthless crap after they spammed me ad nauseam. It's based on my personal experience and it's an objective review.

Now then, who kicked your dog?
Every person's opinion is valid no matter how long they have been here. The first part was more of a joke than anything so if you think that's attitude then idk what to tell you. I was just looking for clarification because it seems as if they personally did something to you which is valid if that's your opinion but saying in one post it's objective & the next saying it's personal seems like two opposing thoughts. But with all of this aside, bottom line when it comes to domainers/investors its about profit margins and value so ignoring a potential avenue for profit just seems silly.

•••
@Robert Sanchez - Thanks for expanding. Now we can have a discussion with substance.

.GDN is as good (or bad) as .XYZ and in my opinion, not a smart investment choice. The gTLDs of choice are those that form meaningful pairs: keyword + gTLD forming a single entity. Such as, Country.Club, or Domain.Network, Great.Photography etc.

.GDN is the first time a Registry spammed the hell out of domain owners, with the ridiculous statement that they'd better grab their brand before squatters do so. Read the article I wrote before commenting further.

•••
Domainers enjoy being victimized it seems. People are just burning money ablaze on those .gdn domains.
I would definitely lump.gdn in the same basket as .xyz and .top (spammers too).
You know what they say: if you sleep with dogs you will watch fleas :)

•••
@Robert Sanchez - Thanks for expanding. Now we can have a discussion with substance.

.GDN is as good (or bad) as .XYZ and in my opinion, not a smart investment choice. The gTLDs of choice are those that form meaningful pairs: keyword + gTLD forming a single entity. Such as, Country.Club, or Domain.Network, Great.Photography etc.

.GDN is the first time a Registry spammed the hell out of domain owners, with the ridiculous statement that they'd better grab their brand before squatters do so. Read the article I wrote before commenting further.
Domainers enjoy being victimized it seems. People are just burning money ablaze on those .gdn domains.
I would definitely lump.gdn in the same basket as .xyz and .top (spammers too).
You know what they say: if you sleep with dogs you will watch fleas :)
Just read the article. While it would've been better if they didn't mention the squatting stuff, seems as if its just letting people know about .gdn sunrise period. Again I have no context as to how many times they emailed you but to me spam or not this is a bottom line business and I would buy any domain that has demand and value. Even if you consider these new gTLDs as spammers it's impossible to ignore their numbers and growth over that last year or so. So spammers or not I'm just looking at bottom line of getting the most return for my investment & it stands to reason that the more demand for a particular domain the bigger the potential market & potential return.

•••
GDN stands for...what exactly? So you'd register 888.garbage and 777123.junk if that's your modus operandi.

A domain Registry that operates on a fear-mongering, spamming campaign for a meaningless gTLD doesn't deserve any attention from serious investors.

•••
GDN stands for...what exactly? So you'd register 888.garbage and 777123.junk if that's your modus operandi.

A domain Registry that operates on a fear-mongering, spamming campaign for a meaningless gTLD doesn't deserve any attention from serious investors.
Ya I feel we might have to agree to disagree on this. If there was a market for .junk or .garbage I would buy it and then resell it. Plus while .club, .network & .photography do have value their market is capped by the same thing that makes them valuable. Their constrained to the markets that they are defined by which ends up limiting it. So whether you believe the meaning of .gdn, .top, or .xyz is meaningless in the end it doesn't matter if their is monetary value behind it which at this point, considering the stats, is the case.

•••
Of course you can. There is also a market for drugs, weapons and the occasional lapdance with a happy ending.

Just because there is a market for domains that you can flip doesn't mean these are real opportunities worthy of a recommendation. And that's what separates the flipping crowd from domain investors.

•••
Even if you consider these new gTLDs as spammers it's impossible to ignore their numbers and growth over that last year or so.
The number are not that flattering actually, new extensions are in bad shape and underperforming.
.tk is actually bigger than .de, because names are given away for free, it's just one example to show that the raw numbers don't tell the whole story.
Do you have something nice to say about .gdn in particular ? Give me just one reason why this thing is worth looking at.

So spammers or not I'm just looking at bottom line of getting the most return for my investment & it stands to reason that the more demand for a particular domain the bigger the potential market & potential return.
Really ? If they have bad ethics, it's likely that they won't treat you well, or stab you in the back when they have a chance. And since when .gdn qualifies as an investment ?

•••
.gdn, .tld (top level domain), .wdn (world domain name), .idn (internet domain name):xf.eek:

•••
•••
Still chatting with 101domain but they advised tonight they can't even get close to the pricing that's being offered at two other registers. I don't see how that's possible, especially when the registry told me they didn't have any high renewals like they were trying to charge, $384.99.

Unless they change it, doesn't look good, the only option would be trying to move them out of 101 after 60 days.

•••
Still chatting with 101domain but they advised tonight they can't even get close to the pricing that's being offered at two other registers. I don't see how that's possible, especially when the registry told me they didn't have any high renewals like they were trying to charge, $384.99.

Unless they change it, doesn't look good, the only option would be trying to move them out of 101 after 60 days.

Well that stinks too, looks like it's $60.00 to transfer, ouch!

•••
So I have been doing some research on ,gdn after seeing everyone share their thoughts and found that they have a blog too which is dotgdn dot blogspot dot com. As of last week they have already crossed 10,755 so I wanted to know if this is an important thing to note. It would be nice to have your thoughts.

•••
The number are not that flattering actually, new extensions are in bad shape and underperforming.
.tk is actually bigger than .de, because names are given away for free, it's just one example to show that the raw numbers don't tell the whole story.
Do you have something nice to say about .gdn in particular ? Give me just one reason why this thing is worth looking at.

Really ? If they have bad ethics, it's likely that they won't treat you well, or stab you in the back when they have a chance. And since when .gdn qualifies as an investment ?
I don't think judging new gtlds based off of spamming is the way to go since a lot of the top sellers do it one way or another. What interests me about .gdn is more the pricing than anything else plus I just saw that Chengdu West was just accredited to sell the domain so sales/demand will increase considering Chinese market and the fact that .gdn has a special meaning in Chinese (I believe it means "Light Energy") and can also stand for GuangDong so I guess you have to believe in the China market to believe in .gdn

•••
Robert - when you start inventing meanings for an acronym, you're grasping at straws.

Same with .WS and its supposed Chinese meaning. Heck, it can also mean "Water Sports." People see what they want to see.

So to recap: .GDN is a Dubai corporation and could not care less about China. Those that are seeking Chinese meanings in every ccTLD/TLD that is not directly aimed for the Chinese market, follow the lemming mentality of the hype makers.

To clarify: I didn't say .GDN is being used by spammers, I said the .GDN Registry is spamming domain owners attempting to catch their attention by referencing brands, trademarks and protection.

•••
The most 'spam' / 'junk' / 'crap' / 'scam' / '...' emails I got, are definetly .com emails.

•••
.com has existed for 30 years so that's to be expected, but the volume of spam I get from .win, .top, .science and other gTLDs under a free or cheap promotion, is higher in proportion to their number of registrations. Eventually, I will simply block the most offending new gTLDs at the root level.

•••
While I (my junk mail folder) daily gets real 'spam' / 'junk' / 'crap' / 'scam' / '...' emails from .com, I (my junk mail folder) get (if) some few few few so called 'spam' emails per month from new gTLDs - but those so called 'spam' emails are in 99 % just 'understandable promo' which I would never put in the same 'junk level' in which I have to put .com 'spam' / 'junk' / 'crap' / 'scam' / '...' emails.

Last edited:
•••
Ah, ok. So you're justifying .GDN Registry's spam, am I correct?

As long as it's an "understandable promo" you're fine with that? Even if it's e.g.. 100 emails per day.

•••
No, that's not correct.
I just refer to my own experiences and I can't confirm any spam activities of .top / .win / .gdn / ...
If, than I never got more than 1, max. 2 'understandable promo' emails from the same TLD / email adress.

Last edited:
•••
I've tried to register some nice .gdn domains since last year but they all got rejected as reserved. They were very expensive therefore I was only going for one, maybe two.

I noticed recently that 101domain has them at $2.99 per year. WHAT, $2.99 per year? I tried many names and they had a premium price tag for the first year and a high rate per renewal. I didn't want to do that so I went looking for some $2.99 per year domains as advertised.

I wound up registering 36 chip LLL.gdn domains, 33 went through and 3 still processing. I was in heaven thinking dang LLL chips and the extension is chips too. Again I'm thinking wow just $2.99 per year while doing this.

I got to thinking tonight that this was to good to be true, so I logged in and went to renew one of the domains and the renewal is $384.99 per year.

So to make a long story short I F'd up but it was misleading saying /SALE/ .gdn $2.99 / yr.. Yes it's $2.99 for one year and then $384.99 to renew and this wan't clear to me.

I do admit that if I would have used the drop down for more years that it in fact shows the increase but I always reg a year and leave them on auto renew so I didn't click the drop down.

I reached out for an explanation as to why this isn't explained better during registration but I'm pretty sure I have one year to try and move some of these before renewal time comes around.

I've posted this as a warning, something to watch out for as I personally haven't ran into this type of situation before.
Thats another TLD good for the bin. So they try to scam the registrant, great strategy. Feels desperate.

•••
Robert - when you start inventing meanings for an acronym, you're grasping at straws.

Same with .WS and its supposed Chinese meaning. Heck, it can also mean "Water Sports." People see what they want to see.

So to recap: .GDN is a Dubai corporation and could not care less about China. Those that are seeking Chinese meanings in every ccTLD/TLD that is not directly aimed for the Chinese market, follow the lemming mentality of the hype makers.

To clarify: I didn't say .GDN is being used by spammers, I said the .GDN Registry is spamming domain owners attempting to catch their attention by referencing brands, trademarks and protection.
I'm not making up a meaning GuangDong is an actual province in China so many in the area could see .gdn as a potential domain & "Light Energy" is something I learned from a previous thread about .gdn. Plus domain business is global so not sure why it matters where a company is based. In addition if they didn't care about China market why would get Chengdu West as an accredited registrar (mentioned on their twitter)?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back