IT.COM

Gd rolled out dns text record confirmations to get listed on auctions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
so 2 days ago gd rolled this out.. and now everyone will be getting emails for your non gd regged names.. if u wanna list them on auctions.

most registrars do not even have bulk editing for this.. so this will be time consuming thing for all domainers to do their names one by one.

any thoughts on this?

how about @Joe Styler ? are you just constantly looking for ways to give gd staff less work, and domainers more work? no more auction payout request via email.. now this.. I wonder what will be next.

ty

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it's a good thing as it adds security to the platform and therefore it becomes a more reliable marketplace.

I'm sure it's a bit more work for domainers but if you handle your DNS the right way updating all your records is handled in seconds.

I have a more technical background and run my own DNS servers but it never ceases to amaze me how little technical knowledge there is among a lot of domainers I encounter.

It sometime feels like talking to a realtor who has no clue about the foundation of the houses he's trying to sell.

Anyway, it'll add security so I'm all for it!

•••
Most registrars UI support bulk update of TXT record, using a template.

•••
I think it's a good thing as it adds security to the platform and therefore it becomes a more reliable marketplace.

I'm sure it's a bit more work for domainers but if you handle your DNS the right way updating all your records is handled in seconds.

I have a more technical background and run my own DNS servers but it never ceases to amaze me how little technical knowledge there is among a lot of domainers I encounter.

It sometime feels like talking to a realtor who has no clue about the foundation of the houses he's trying to sell.

Anyway, it'll add security so I'm all for it!

I think you make good points, but I am curious as to why you are amazed at the little technical knowledge? It's not required if you are just a domainer and I would argue that 90% of the most successful domainers of all time, have no special technical knowledge, two of the biggest Berkens and Schwartz I know have very little.

•••
this is great for domain security if can only be done in bulk

•••
I think you make good points, but I am curious as to why you are amazed at the little technical knowledge? It's not required if you are just a domainer and I would argue that 90% of the most successful domainers of all time, have no special technical knowledge, two of the biggest Berkens and Schwartz I know have very little.

Yeah you're 100% right about that. Being a good salesman and recognising opportunities holds way more value in this industry. I guess it's becouse I'm more of an enduser than a domainer myself :)

Maybe it's the other way round. I should be amazed by how little a lot of tech savvy people know about domaining and the value of a great domain ;)

•••
things were going just fine before so not sure why people make this into security thing. especially given this move has nothing to do with enhancing security and is about gd dept spending less time validating domains manually...same as when they abolished user payyout requests few months.

im not necessarily complaining...but why is worlds biggest registrar so understuffed and cutting domainer services in all places..

Last edited:
•••
things were going just fine before so not sure why people make this into security thing. especially given this move has nothing to do with enhancing security and is about gd dept spending less time validating domains manually...same as when they abolished user payyout requests few months.

im not necessarily complaining...but why is worlds biggest registrar so understuffed and cutting domainer services in all places..
It's not the marketplaces complicating things. It's one of the consequences of the silly GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation).
Registrant's email no longer accessible via WHOIS record.

By the way, domain ownership verification using TXT record has been in place for years. Sedo, Flippa and some others have been using it as an option even before the GDPR enforcement.

Yes, ownership verification using TXT record is safer - security wise.

•••
maybe they were around for years but no market was forcing us to use them. in fact even today after gdrp sedo makes txt optional with just longer validation times without it

im getting seriously disappointed gd auctions cutting all corners to save them time. this isnt the first thing...the trend should stop imo

•••
We introduced txt record checks for a couple reasons. One big one is a response to GDPR with the WHOIS going dark we in many places we need a way to accurately assess who owns the domains that they are listing.
You can easily update a txt record in bulk in many registrars. TXT records offer many really great opportunities that our previous methods did not offer. Your names can be easily added without manual intervention from support which means faster time to add domains. It also means no back and forth with support trying to get the domain listed in your account that is listed with the old owner which has been a major frustration for investors who buy domains after they expire or drop. This also means other people can not easily list domains you own for sale because they would also need to be able to access your dns to add the correct record that corresponds to your account. This change will help make sure the time required by people trying to list domains for sale that they own is dramatically reduced and also make sure that the domains being listed are for sale by the actual owner at the time of the listing.
For instance, many (almost all) registrars park expired domains and remove the old dns when they are expired which would remove the old txt record. This would help remove expired domains more easily from listings. It would also mean that as soon as you bought that expired domain and got control over the dns you could add your txt record and have that listing approved. No more trying to explain to support that the old owner doesn't own the domain anymore and you want to list it.
This is one of many checks we have in place for the integrity of the listings on the marketplace but we think it is an improvement over the older system.
And we can help you do it in bulk if needed. Here is one easy way to do it. https://www.godaddy.com/help/manage-dns-templates-596

•••
thanks for info Joe.

I have some names on various registrars... so I'll probably run into all kinds of possibilities.. bulk.. no bulk etc.. a place like dotster/netfirms/domain.com for instance, does not have bulk at all. so I'd be changing things one by one.

incidentally, I just tried this at dynadot, and lo behold while they do have bulk... one cannot at all set nameservers if he adds dns txt records.. its one or the other. they even confirmed this by email. perhaps I'll need to resort to some temporary adding of txt records on dyna, so you can verify me.. and then revert back to my regular nameservers for parking and or lander pages.. I assuming this will be sufficient for your needs @Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
right now yes that would work. In the future it may not. It would be better to control your own dns. For instance most parking companies allow you to park via an a record as well as pointing NS. This would allow you to control the DNS and use the A record for one thing the txt record for another and say MX records to be pointed to a third place for mail.

•••
right now yes that would work. In the future it may not. It would be better to control your own dns. For instance most parking companies allow you to park via an a record as well as pointing NS. This would allow you to control the DNS and use the A record for one thing the txt record for another and say MX records to be pointed to a third place for mail.

Just wanna say, spot on! I've been beta testing our current DNS setup with over 10k domains for 2 years now and it basically is designed to let you pick where to park/host/redirect/deploy with a single click while keeping full control of all zone records. Clients love it.

Glad to see an industry leader with a clear vision of what is the best solution regarding DNS hosting/parking for your domains. You just made me concider using GoDaddy a bit more ;)

•••
Verifying domain ownership through TXT records will be an option for afternic too? @Joe Styler
It would be helpful instead of having to send an email everytime a domain gets in "Pending Review" status forever.

•••
That is the plan eventually yes.

•••

why you are amazed at the little technical knowledge?

I've also been dumbfounded by most domaners lack of technical awareness.

You don't need to be tech savvy to be a domain investor, but sometimes it helps.

For example, my domains can be hosted anywhere and I can update my TXT records in bulk through a custom API python script that I wrote which can process 40 domains at a time (1-2 mins).

Necessity is the mother of invention: I created this script because SEDO needed my text records to reflect my user string, and to do that with 300 domains manually was not going to happen.

I've sold 3 $xxxx domains this past year that would not have happened if I wasn't using some tech savvy domaining tricks.

I am certainly not knocking anyones abilities, just making an observation and a recommendation.

Know your craft, and if you know it all - go learn some more.

Last edited:
•••
I've also been dumbfounded by most domaners lack of technical awareness.

You don't need to be tech savvy to be a domain investor, but sometimes it helps.

For example, my domains can be hosted anywhere and I can update my TXT records in bulk through a custom API python script that I wrote which can process 40 domains at a time (1-2 mins).

Necessity is the mother of invention: I created this script because SEDO needed my text records to reflect my user string, and to do that with 300 domains manually was not going to happen.

I've sold 3 $xxxx domains this past year that would not have happened if I wasn't using some tech savvy domaining tricks.

I am certainly not knocking anyones abilities, just making an observation and a recommendation.

Know your craft, and if you know it all - go learn some more.

I agree one 100%! Like I said, I already had the knowledge and infrastructure running when I actually started to need it.

It wasn't until my portfolio reached 1K domains that I started to worry about a more efficient way to maintain them.

I'm currently debating with a couple of my partners to decide weather we want to go public with our infrastructure. We're only offering it to our current clients atm, providing parking solutions for over 20k domains and client feedback has been great. There seems to be a market for something like this so who knows.

•••
It also means no back and forth with support trying to get the domain listed in your account that is listed with the old owner which has been a major frustration for investors who buy domains after they expire or drop.

That would be great if that was the case. I had/have such a case where the domain is still listed by the previous owner. Support told me they cannot remove/end the old listing.
Just tried it again: Listing the domain already fails when I try to create the listing with the message "Domain already for sale" before TXT records are even checked :/

•••
•••
you can email [email protected] they will help you with the listing.
I had setup a Linux dedicated server to host my domains, I had inserted both sedo and godaddy txt verification records into the BIND DNS server for every of my domains.

I am sure the txt records are right there and they can be verify by
nslookup -q=txt sellbtc.net
under windows command line .

I also able to verify it by this website
https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=txt:sellbtc.net&run=toolpage

I don't know why but GD unable to verify those record, and I received the email telling me that "we can't auction your domains until you update your dns"

Is it because the txt record is not response from registrar DNS server?
Or is it because GD unable to lookup the txt record when a domain has more than two txt records?

Can you please bring up this problem to the tech team and fix it ASAP.

Thanks!

Kam

•••
I'm just dangerous enough on a server to get myself into trouble but from what I am seeing your dns is not set up right. That is something you can check into further and not something the auctions team can look into.
If you cannot verify with txt records you can contact the auctions team [email protected] to verify the another way.

I use a mac so my command is different but here are my results.

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> -t txt sellbtc.net

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 24411

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;sellbtc.net. IN TXT

;; Query time: 9 msec

Also if you check 3rd party they show some dns errors on how your NS are set up.

NS list does not match list from parent zone. This should be addressed because queries for this domain may require an extra lookup (and more overhead) because there is no direct relationship between the NS records at the parent and the NS records at the authoritative servers. This can cause delays. The mismatched NS list is:

nameserver domainnames.tv. | 223.19.38.68 is missing ns1.lastdns.com. | 223.19.38.68
nameserver domainnames.tv. | 223.19.38.68 is missing ns2.lastdns.com. | 223.19.38.68

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

•••
I'm just dangerous enough on a server to get myself into trouble but from what I am seeing your dns is not set up right. That is something you can check into further and not something the auctions team can look into.
If you cannot verify with txt records you can contact the auctions team [email protected] to verify the another way.

I use a mac so my command is different but here are my results.

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> -t txt sellbtc.net

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 24411

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;sellbtc.net. IN TXT

;; Query time: 9 msec

Also if you check 3rd party they show some dns errors on how your NS are set up.

NS list does not match list from parent zone. This should be addressed because queries for this domain may require an extra lookup (and more overhead) because there is no direct relationship between the NS records at the parent and the NS records at the authoritative servers. This can cause delays. The mismatched NS list is:

nameserver domainnames.tv. | 223.19.38.68 is missing ns1.lastdns.com. | 223.19.38.68
nameserver domainnames.tv. | 223.19.38.68 is missing ns2.lastdns.com. | 223.19.38.68

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for you help.
I found that not every DNS query server able to retrieve my TXT records. (According to https://dnschecker.org)
I will try to fine tune my setting and hope it can be fixed.
sellbtc_net_txt.png

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back