Dynadot

GD auctions sale and buyer transfers elsewhere than GD?

NameSilo
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
so I had a smallish sale on gd auctions makeoffer lately... and followed standard procedure to send buyer auth code on gd auctions after payment cleared and email buyer link appeared.

after I did that, on same day he began transfer.. so I went ahead and expediated it from dynadot.. lo behold today I check and the domain is transfered okay but not to gd registrar.. but gandi!

I guess once they have the code they can transfer anywhere they want.. still its weird cause I thought the buyer buys transfer to gd at checkout.. so why would they pay twice to transfer elsewhere.. especially for an extension that is more expensive to transfer than a .com

I guess this is all the more reason to basically to always ask gd auctions ot begin transfer on buyer behalf.. then at least its sure to go to gd... which is something I've done most time before.. and never had issues.

maybe @Joe Styler can confirm if this is all ok for buyer to do.. transfer anywhere he wants.. and if there are additional steps after such a transfer esehwere.. for buyer/seller/gd to go through before payout is made?

anyone else had this happen before?

thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This happened to me once, GD will ask the buyer to confirm if he has received the domain. In my case the buyer confirmed the transfer and GD released the funds. I don't know what they'll do if the buyer claims that he didn't received the domain.

That's why I prefer using Afternic, they handle the transfer and your domains are for sale at GD too.

•••
yea
i emailed auctions and theyll need buyer confirmation

i hope they can check this in other ways in case buyer tries to play games or outright commit fraud. cause anyone who buys transfer upfront to gd with his sale... which I think all need to do... and then transfers elsewhere.. is looking bit fishy to me.

either way I hope no issues with payout here, this has still gotta be more provable if needed than a push on same registrar... which is much less tracable.

•••
We prefer the domain name to end up at GoDaddy only because we can confirm the domain is with the buyer for absolute certain. If a buyer uses another registrar and whois privacy it can become problematic. Emailing the auctions team as you did the right process to have them investigate.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back