IT.COM

showcase Future of Transportation ( Flying Cars ) Showcase

NameSilo
Watch

The Future of Transportation ? ( Flying Cars )

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    67.1%
  • No

votes
    28.8%
  • Other ( post in thread )

votes
    4.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Michael Ehrhardt

Top Member
Impact
The Future is now

where there is no vision , the people perish

TheTFX.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
autono--life.png
Coming to a BP near you this week.

•••
The air taxi news comes and goes, we'll see if it becomes a reality. I have a handful of coms, airtaxinewyork, airtaxiaustin, airtaxidallas, airtaximoscow, airtaxiseattle, airtaxisf... They're pushing to have them for the 2024 Olympics here in Paris so I have airtaxi.paris too. Waiting for that call from Uber or Airbus with a big offer :xf.wink::whistle:

•••
🤔

I suspect that 99.999% of the world's population that is traveling locally is going to do it on the ground. Flying cars will be similar to the airplane industry with designated places for take off and landing, and sonething will need to be put in place to avoid air collisions.... It will require a special flying license until automation takes over and that could take a very long time to sort out if there will be more vehicles flying in a lower altitude. Regulation is going to be a fucking nightmare. Don't expect this to take off any time within the next 15 to 20 years (pun intended). With automated land vehicles and more forms of public transportation and the rise of the shared vehicle industry, I am not betting on flying cars with zero donain investment... Very small, specialized niche for a small few (like personal planes).

Last edited:
•••
I also have my doubts but then again we live in the age of WeWork, Theranos etc. so I wouldnt be surprised if someone raises a few billion for something with questionable viability. We had 12 companies with huge valuations and venture capital in their pocket putting scooters on every corner here in Paris last year. Now the city is dredging them out of the river daily and I think 9 of the operators were chased out or left of their own accord.

🤔

I suspect that 99.999% of the world's population that is traveling locally is going to do it on the ground. Flying cars will be similar to the airplane industry with designated places for take off and landing, and sonething will need to be put in place to avoid air collisions.... It will require a special flying license until automation takes over and that could take a very long time to sort out if there will be more vehicles flying in a lower altitude. Regulation is going to be a f*cking nightmare. Don't expect this to take off any time within the next 15 to 20 years (pun intended). With automated land vehicles and more forms of public transportation and the rise of the shared vehicle industry, I am not betting on flying cars with zero donain investment... Very small, specialized niche for a small few (like personal planes).

•••
I also have my doubts but then again we live in the age of WeWork, Theranos etc. so I wouldnt be surprised if someone raises a few billion for something with questionable viability. We had 12 companies with huge valuations and venture capital in their pocket putting scooters on every corner here in Paris last year. Now the city is dredging them out of the river daily and I think 9 of the operators were chased out or left of their own accord.

Scooters are easy... It's difficult to seriously harm yourself and others on one, they're cheap, easy to fix, don't require landing space (propellers can decapitate), can be crowded together during movement without exploding (colliding propellers), don't require license, are no harm to airplanes, don't need to be zoned, regulated or limited. So it's not a fair comparison... But I get what you're saying... Sure, "anything" can happen, but when it comes to speculation and how I invest as a domainer, technical barriers are part of my assessment in deciding whether a niche is worth the invement. I'm sure that a couple of mega corps wouldn't mind getting their hands on one of the top 10 domains in this niche though...

Last edited:
•••
It's worth noting that the correct term for this niche may be VTOL. It's not a new industry... See VTOL.org...

Good luck! 👌

•••
Also: These vehicles will likely be loud... So they may be zoned away from residential neighborhoods. Weather conditions will affect usage. And parking space for these kinds of machines would likely have to be huge, even if they can fold, which would be expensive property wise...and most homes are not designed to store such vehicles. Lots of things that will prevent this from becoming something for the average consumer...

Last edited:
•••
An entrepreneur purchased autonomousflight.com not too long ago (more info on the website of what they are trying to achieve) . Most projects seem to be focusing on the short flight taxi type service currently.

I'm not heavily invested in this niche but think I've got a couple from memory:

Drone Cabs (.com)
Autonomous Flying (.com)

Last edited:
•••
Just registered

20200604_145620.jpg

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
I am glad i still have this one,

CopterCar.jpg

Japan's 'flying car' gets off the ground, with a rider aboard
TOKYO

Aug. 29 06:25 am JST

The decades-old dream of zipping around in the sky as simply as driving on highways may be becoming less illusory.

Japan’s SkyDrive Inc., among the myriads of “flying car” projects around the world, has carried out a successful though modest test flight with one person aboard.

In a video shown to reporters on Friday, a contraption that looked like a slick motorcycle with propellers lifted about two meters off the ground, and hovered in a netted area for four minutes.
Tomohiro Fukuzawa, who heads the SkyDrive effort, said he hopes “the flying car” can be made into a real-life product by 2023, but he acknowledged that making it safe was critical.

“Of the world’s more than 100 flying car projects, only a handful has succeeded with a person on board,” he told The Associated Press. “I hope many people will want to ride it and feel safe.”

The machine so far can fly for just five to 10 minutes but if that can become 30 minutes, it will have more potential, including exports to places like China, Fukuzawa said.
Unlike airplanes and helicopters, eVTOL, or “electric vertical takeoff and landing,” vehicles offer quick point-to-point personal travel, at least in principle.

They could do away with the hassle of airports and traffic jams and the cost of hiring pilots, they could fly automatically.
Battery sizes, air traffic control and other infrastructure issues are among the many potential challenges to commercializing them.

“Many things have to happen,” said Sanjiv Singh, professor at the Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University, who co-founded Near Earth Autonomy, near Pittsburgh, which is also working on an eVTOL aircraft.
“If they cost $10 million, no one is going to buy them. If they fly for 5 minutes, no one is going to buy them. If they fall out of the sky every so often, no one is going to buy them,” Singh said in a telephone interview.

The SkyDrive project began humbly as a volunteer project called Cartivator in 2012, with funding by top Japanese companies including automaker Toyota Motor Corp., electronics company Panasonic Corp. and video-game developer Bandai Namco.
A demonstration flight three years ago went poorly. But it has improved and the project recently received another round of funding, of 3.9 billion yen ($37 million), including from the Development Bank of Japan.

The Japanese government is bullish on “the Jetsons” vision, with a “road map” for business services by 2023, and expanded commercial use by the 2030s, stressing its potential for connecting remote areas and providing lifelines in disasters.

Experts compare the buzz over flying cars to the days when the aviation industry got started with the Wright Brothers and the auto industry with the Ford Model T.
Lilium of Germany, Joby Aviation in California and Wisk, a joint venture between Boeing Co and Kitty Hawk Corp, are also working on eVTOL projects.

Sebastian Thrun, chief executive of Kitty Hawk, said it took time for airplanes, cell phones and self-driving cars to win acceptance.
“But the time between technology and social adoption might be more compressed for eVTOL vehicles,” he said.
https://japantoday.com/category/tech/japan's-'flying-car'-gets-off-ground-with-a-person-aboard

Last edited:
•••
I think something on the lines of hyperloop be the future. Flying cars is just a 1950's fantasy.

•••
RotorTaxi(.)com
RotorCab(.)com

•••
•••
I love Hyperloop, but it competes with trains and planes, not 'street traffic' vehicles, as its a low-air-pressure sealed tube... that needs hundreds of miles of 'track' to work --gain speed / brake. And, considering the pandemic reality, there would not be many folks willing to ride in an elongated sealed train, or air, cabin right now. So long-distance cargo runs look to be in hyperloop's future sweet-spot right now.

I think something on the lines of hyperloop be the future. Flying cars is just a 1950's fantasy.

•••
I love Hyperloop, but it competes with trains and planes, not 'street traffic' vehicles, as its a low-air-pressure sealed tube... that needs hundreds of miles of 'track' to work --gain speed / brake. And, considering the pandemic reality, there would not be many folks willing to ride in an elongated sealed train, or air, cabin right now. So long-distance cargo runs look to be in hyperloop's future sweet-spot right now.
Yeah, that is why I said something on the lines of hyperloop.. for local. maybe interconnected skyways; FLying is way too energy consuming

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
It's possible one day, but if we are fighting to deliver food on drones...i am not sure how far off flying cars would be.

•••
If cars are flying then there will be cabs. Waiting for some offers on FCAB dot com:xf.smile:

•••
“If you want a flying car, just put wheels on a helicopter” - Elon Musk

•••
PrivateFlyingCar.com any thoughts?
upload_2020-9-7_15-53-35.jpeg

It is really ugly don’t you think...looks like two feet can stretch out standing up.

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-7_15-52-17.jpeg
    upload_2020-9-7_15-52-17.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 186
  • upload_2020-9-7_15-52-33.jpeg
    upload_2020-9-7_15-52-33.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 196
•••
Central Florida lands hub for Jetsons-like ‘flying cars’
November 11, 2020

https://apnews.com/article/flying-cars-hub-orlando-tampa-tavistock-55ec496c342e242d98aa2ca0c7b9b5b0

"ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The nation’s first regional hub for “flying cars” is being built in central Florida and once completed in five years, the vehicles will be able to take passengers from Orlando to Tampa in a half hour, officials said Wednesday.

The Tavistock Development Corp. said it was constructing a Jetsons-like aviation facility in Orlando’s Lake Nona area, the mixed-use planned community it built. Lake Nona already is home to several medical and research facilities.

The aircraft will be supplied by Lilium, a Germany-based aviation company that manufacturers the industry’s only five-passenger “electric vertical takeoff and landing” aircraft. At the moment, the Lilium Jets can travel up to 185 miles (nearly 300 kilometers) on a one-hour charge."

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back