Dynadot

discuss Funny Inquiry Today

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cocaseco

Top Member
Impact
I had several new inquiries overnight, so like most morning those are the first things I work on. I quickly got a response from one guy and it reminded me how much the general public doesn't know. He was confused and didn't understand how I ever sold a domain at the price I quoted him when he could go to GoDaddy or other places and register for $8. The domain he was looking at was very low end at $XXX. He had no concept of the secondary domain market. I wrote back and explained a bit about domains and showed him some prices for random LL and LLL .coms and he outright said I was some sort of scammer and there was no way a domain could cost that much. Needless to say, no sale on that lead.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very familiar story for most domainers I'm sure. If only the general public had the knowledge avid domainers do.......

•••
Are you going to post the funny inquiry? I could always use a good laugh.:D

•••
Very familiar story for most domainers I'm sure. If only the general public had the knowledge avid domainers do.......

Oh I've had many low bids, buy both informed and uninformed, buyers. But never have I had anyone who thought $8 was the price for all domains.

•••
That guy was merely reflecting his pockets. The same can be said about domainers here. There are some great values offered here as well, but most times domainers don't want to pay even reseller prices instead content to wait for a distressed seller to land that lucky deal.

•••
Oh I've had many low bids, buy both informed and uninformed, buyers. But never have I had anyone who thought $8 was the price for all domains.

That is pretty funny. :|

Even a bottle of water, chilled, in the right place, at the right time, triples in value.

•••
That is pretty funny. :|

Even a bottle of water, chilled, in the right place, at the right time, triples in value.

Very very true!

•••

Very well said !

•••
•••
As a financial professional it amazes me how much companies are willing to spend on IT costs, marketing, advertising, professional services, travel etc and yet will balk at the idea of spending $XXX on a domain name.

•••
And then that bottle of water and the new triple price?
Hey, guess what?
There are laws about ripping off the public!
If only there were such laws that applied to domains.

•••
You should have pointed him to Sedo or another market that shows how much most domains are listed for, or even DNjournal past sales would have opened his eyes.

•••
And then that bottle of water and the new triple price?
Hey, guess what?
There are laws about ripping off the public!
If only there were such laws that applied to domains.

Not true. Price gouging applies to national emergency situations. In a capitalistic economy, outside of a monopoly, I can price my goods however much I want. You have the freedom not to buy. :)

•••
What did he expect ? That you hand the name over for $8 ?
If he contacts you, it's because your domain is better than what he could find available.
Suppose you have owned the name for ten years and you've been paying $10 in renewal fees. Your net investment is minimum $100. Selling below that amount = loss.
Why should you give away a good domain at a loss ?

Anybody should be able to understand that.

•••
Anybody should be able to understand that.

No, today I got a $1.5 offer for one of my domains from a US school teacher :xf.grin:

•••
With $1.5 maybe he has just enough spare change to register domainbeggar.info :)

•••
Suppose you have owned the name for ten years and you've been paying $10 in renewal fees. Your net investment is minimum $100. Selling below that amount = loss.

Since not all domains sell, despite good quality, selling for less than 5-10 times that is still a loss !

•••
•••
They always are students, teachers, or buying for the wifes hobby
With no comercial intention

I tell them a domain has a value
Regards of the buyers intentions

Guess what
It doesn t matter what you answer

They don t have the money

•••
She is a school teacher, I confirmed.
I suggested she regs the hyphenated or .org version.
If she is acting for someone else, she will try again for the .com :xf.smile:

•••
No, today I got a $1.5 offer for one of my domains from a US school teacher :xf.grin:

It could be 1.500 sedo style price offer. She just forget to add zero :-/

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back