IT.COM

question Full time domainer with $10k goal /mo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
What are the do's and don't?
What are the steps to achieve this goal?
What are the ways to make 10k usd passive every month?

Experts do share your knowledge, that will help lot of people who is working towards their financial freedom

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Experts do share your knowledge, that will help lot of people who is working towards their financial freedom

Unfortunately I don't know the answer, but I look forward to reading proper responses!

M88

•••

Spend time learning. Spend a lot of time doing. Don't expect others to tell you how to make money. You don't get anything for nothing.

This whole forum revolves domaining, so everything in it is learning material... there is no answer to your questions that isn't already in this forum. People share the lessons that they've learnt from domaining on this forum each and every day.

Stay, learn, have fun and try to make money. Don't invest anything that you can't afford to lose in bad domains. Set realistic goals.

Oh and don't quit your day job. :pompous:

Last edited:
•••
•••

Have a good heart and cheerful spirit!

•••
Domain Leasing:

https://www.epik.com/support/knowledgebase/selling-and-leasing-domains-on-epik/

Simple recipe: (1) List domains with make offer and with a parking lander. (2) When you get an offer, evaluate who is making the offer, and then swing for the fences with high asking price. (3) If the asking price is too much for them backpedal to a lease with a future option to buy.

The math is pretty simple. 200 domains with $50 per month lease fees, and there is your $10K of passive income. However, every now and then your lease converts into a purchase and your get a windfall sale which you can then use to either expand your portfolio and take chips off the table.

This is not theoretical. e have folks doing this exact model at Epik now. It is more sustainable than parking. If you happen to have a high traffic portfolio, sure, parking is an option, but most traffic domains are either horrible names or expensive to acquire. Brandable names are usually mispriced and perfect for leasing.

Domain leasing is the future. Now that the gTLD pig in the python has worked through the system, the after-market is where the best domains are being bought and sold. The inventory of development grade domains is finite and the best inventory is being consolidated into stronger and stronger hands.

Feel free to PM me if you need help leasing your first domains.

•••
•••

Masternodes

•••
Domain Leasing:

Simple recipe: (1) List domains with make offer and with a parking lander. (2) When you get an offer, evaluate who is making the offer, and then swing for the fences with high asking price. (3) If the asking price is too much for them backpedal to a lease with a future option to buy.

The math is pretty simple. 200 domains with $50 per month lease fees, and there is your $10K of passive income. However, every now and then your lease converts into a purchase and your get a windfall sale which you can then use to either expand your portfolio and take chips off the table.

This is not theoretical. e have folks doing this exact model at Epik now. It is more sustainable than parking. If you happen to have a high traffic portfolio, sure, parking is an option, but most traffic domains are either horrible names or expensive to acquire. Brandable names are usually mispriced and perfect for leasing.

Domain leasing is the future. Now that the gTLD pig in the python has worked through the system, the after-market is where the best domains are being bought and sold. The inventory of development grade domains is finite and the best inventory is being consolidated into stronger and stronger hands.

Knowing very little about leasing, isnt there a high level of trust involved? I mean how do you know you'll get it back at the end!?

(I am basing this on an assumption that leasing involves transferring the domain out and then receiving it back the same way but could be wrong!)

M88

•••
Knowing very little about leasing, isnt there a high level of trust involved? I mean how do you know you'll get it back at the end!?

(I am basing this on an assumption that leasing involves transferring the domain out and then receiving it back the same way but could be wrong!)

M88
Leasing isn't to be confused with a payment plan where they get to own the domain at the end of it all.

Some companies put the domain in your account where you have access to the Nameservers and DNS control so that you can control it. The person leasing the name won't be able to transfer the name though. That's one way that it is possible. It would be possible to do this yourself too with a little bit of coding knowledge.

I listened to the @DomainNameWire podcast the other week and the guy from Uniregistry was talking about how they put the domain in your account in this way when they are on a payment plan too.

On a simple level, I have no doubt that if someone really wants to lease a domain, then you can basically agree where they want it pointing and you point it there on their behalf. If I was leasing a domain like this, I'd want an agreement drawn up as a leaser to ensure that I was guaranteed the domain for a period of time and possibly terms that allow for the purchase of the name afterwards in order to make it a worthwhile endeavour.

Last edited:
•••

M88

Well, that is the beauty of the Epik platform. We are both a registrar and a market-maker for domains. The lessor/registrant maintains registrar control of the domain on the WHOIS. As long as the lessee is making their monthly payments, they have use of the domain but have no ability to update WHOIS or see the auth code. They can only update DNS and manage services related to use of it, e.g. forwarding, hosting, etc. It works like a champ and there is zero risk of your domain going away during a lease. That is the big difference between our leasing platform and others who try to manage leasing on a peer to peer basis without a trusted intermediary.

•••

Set "make offer" and price according to the buyer (so price could change each week according to who is inquiring)?

You do not believe that BIN-pricing moves a much higher % of inventory (thus producing a higher ROI overall)?

•••
•••
There are literally 1000 of answers to this question, that would take months to write out for you, and this is because experience is the biggest requirement. Also, the answers you seek are already out there, in this forum, on the internet in sales reports and articles.

However, I'll give you 2 pieces of advice that will start you off well armed:
1. Read everything and anything, and then decipher it in a way that makes it all meaningful and useful to you
2. Start off slowly with buying, find your niche and get your balance a bit, then using (1) above you will make good progress

•••
A bit of advice. Give before you try to take. I realize that you may have given in other threads, I have not looked, but never expect anyone worth anything to just give you good info because you asked, especially when you haven't shared...

Last edited:
•••
Domain Leasing:

I agree with Robepik this leasing is definitely the way to go, it's a great model.

$10K month with 200 names @ $50 month means that the 200 names must be very very good names that have commercial intent and must be short 1 to 2 word (radio) popular names. To lease a great domain must be worth at very the least $1000 / $5K to $10K each if you expect to get $50 a month from it.

So lets assume each domain costs $1000 to buy which would be $200,000 in total and your ROI in year 1 would be 60% which would be a fantastic return! A $5K cost per domain would give you a ROI 12% also not a bad return.

It would be difficult in my opinion to earn $10k a month unless you have an amazing portfolio of domains.

Peter

•••
Set "make offer" and price according to the buyer (so price could change each week according to who is inquiring)?

You do not believe that BIN-pricing moves a much higher % of inventory (thus producing a higher ROI overall)?

If you want a lights-out operation, then sure, send BIN. However, if you want to swing for the fences, and don't mind answering emails, you can swing for the fences. Just set your minimum offer to some percentage of your true reserve price and see what comes through the door. Then tailor your responses accordingly, including the option of leasing if you are dealing with a prospect that is, or claims to be, cash poor.

•••
A lot of people leasing 200 plus domains per month- really?

•••
So 10k$ profit per month pasisve on domains is impossible?

•••
So 10k$ profit per month pasisve on domains is impossible?

Why not?

If you have nice quality portfolio that has sell through of 1% with an average net of $2000, you would need 6000 name portfolio.

•••
Since the lease to buy option is likely to become more commonplace in the future (as the value of quality domains rises), and since nobody has mentioned it so far, and since it is good to give credit where credit is due, here’s a description of lease/buy with Escrow.com.

A buyer requested a payment plan on a $5,000 name I had at Uniregistry Market. A Uni broker asked me if I was interested (and since I have had great experiences with Escrow.com in the past) I said sure, I’d like to give it a try. It’s good to learn.

So the broker, in consultation with the buyer came up with the following proposal which I agreed to. From memory, it’s like this:

40% deposit - $2,000.

On payment, I paid the Uniregistry sales commission in full of 15% on the $5,000.
(Deducted from my $2,000).
I think the buyer paid the Escrow commission in full on top of his $2,000.
(So he is paying a little more than $5,000 for the domain.)

Six monthly payments of 10% - $500 each.

I just went along with the suggested contract but you can probably negotiate things a bit.

It’s a beautifully designed system. The domain is held by Escrow.com for six months so neither I nor the buyer can move it. Escrow has let the buyer provide their DNS address so they can use the domain immediately, but not access it.

Under the contract, if a buyer stops paying, the seller can give notice that payment must be received within a certain reasonable time, if not the domain will ultimately be returned to the seller.

The contract is excellent and is signed in association with Docusign, who you need to join. So there is a well thought out four way contract with all four parties getting a digital copy. So it’s digitally signed by me the seller, by the buyer, by Brian Tharp on behalf of Escrow.com and by Jeff Gabriel on behalf of Uniregistry.

I’ve been highly impressed with the design of this system and wouldn’t hesitate to use it again.

As @MadAboutDomains said in an earlier comment, Jeff Gabriel from Uniregistry has announced in a DomainNameWire podcast the roll-out of a proprietary lease buy system for Uniregistry clients, It’s built on a system that’s been used successfully for years by Frank Schilling’s portfolio.

•••
Unless you have ultra premium names, nothing else really matters.

•••
Domain Leasing:

+1

I'm one of the folk above. I switched all my domains from parking to a lander with a buy or lease option. Best thing I've ever done.

Like many, in the past I made close to $1,000 per month on ads from parking. When the downturn occurred, it dropped down to $200-$300 per month, and I also had a UDRP issue originating from the parking page ads. So I was ready to get rid of parking and just drop users onto a Buy Now page to focus on sales.

While exploring options, I found Epik's lease option. It's been a few years since I started using Epik and switched to the buy/lease lander page, I'm now at close to $1,500 per month from lease income between Epik.com and Escrow.com.

My advice: you get sales from 3 main sources. Your landing page (fix this first), whois info, and Afternic.
  • Create a simple lander or use undeveloped (they even let you list epik.com's lease option as a built in option).
  • At minimum, say in your whois that the domain is for sale
  • List your domains on Afternic (PREMIUM NETWORK OPTION) - they show up on every major registrar if someone types in your domain. If you are not doing this, you are missing out on ridiculous amounts of income.
  • List your domains on Sedo (optional last step - has only resulted in 1-2 sales per year for me)

To get to $10k per month, just reverse the math and do one of the following:
  1. Sell 11-12 domains per month at $1,500 a piece (you need 9,000 good domains)
  2. Sell 1.7 higher quality domains per month for $10,000 a piece (you need between 2,000-4,000 great domains)
  3. Something in between these 2 models

Last edited:
•••
If you don't count all the hard work in acquiring domains over many years, then selling on Uniregistry Market with Buy It Now prices and with Instant Transfer activated can often be fully passive income.

I literally receive emails from Uniregistry saying that payment for an inbound sale has already been placed into my Uniregistry account and that the domain has already been transferred to the buyer’s Uni account!

And because my bank account is linked, some days later that money is automatically disbursed to my bank. I literally don't have to do a thing!

I feel this is the way of the future. The buyer acquires their domain immediately, just like a hand reg. The seller gets paid in less than a week with everything set to automatic.

The standard commission for this setup is only 10%, but in practice, buyers often want to negotiate, even on BIN priced domains.

In those cases, the intervention of a Uniregistry broker is automatically activated and a three way discussion and negotiation follows. The commission then rises to 15%. Of course, you then have to do some work!

The Instant Transfer system is great. No more transfer problems. To use it, you have to have your names regged at Uniresistry, and the names are pushed to the buyer’s Uni account.

The buyers are usually happy with that (since they are already trusting the platform to make the purchase) though in a minority of cases (maybe 10% in my experience) they want the authcode for an outside transfer.

•••
Create a simple lander or use undeveloped (they even let you list epik.com's lease option as a built in option).
You cannot lease as epik with undeveloped. You can request monthly payments, for domain at least $495, not for others.

To use epik for leasing, the domain must be in epik's registrar.

•••
Back