Dynadot

FTX collapse , how will markets be affected?

NameSilo
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
Just heard of FTX and its collapse and that 30 billion USD evaporated with it.

How will everything be affected, do you think:

USD
Cryptos
Real estate
Gold
Stocks
Domains

Markets are controlled, but still maybe things will be allowed to go up or down naturally.

Logically USD was supposed to go up imo, because there is less cash. But instead gold went up 10 percent in a few days.
Someone (Gn.Dcd.) says there is too much gold, like billions, and trillions times more than publicly known (I don't believe it, but maybe there is some truth in it).

Can people be in debt, and still buy domains (as upgrade, or to support existing site via redirects)?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
funny how they measure their value in usd.:xf.confused:

•••
Overall effect on the US Economy should be negligible. This wasn't a major institution like say... Washington Mutual which had over $300 billion in assets at the time I believe. (not to mention a much greater footprint in the economy as a whole) It may however have a very profound effect on small communities in the crypto space. Domain investors tend to be heavily involved here too, so it may also affect many of them.

If you were affected by this, I would try to gather as many documents as possible. Not just for recovery purposes, but for tax reasons as well.

•••
Can't really give an accurate answer to such a question. Would just be great if every crypto investor learned not to keep your assets on these exchanges, and in offline hardware. A core purpose of crypto is to let you sidestep middlemen (money in the fist of your hand, your keys), yet you've got your assets, on these centralized exchanges...pretty much beats the point of it. When you've taken a hit, you'll either never touch crypto again (loss of confidence, loss of users), or you'll learn. Hopefully the latter, in a lot of cases

Last edited:
•••
I think only Crypto and NFT prices will be affected. Crypto prices had already hit very hard, most of Crypto prices had crashed. But even in Crypto, they will rebound very soon since some accounts at FTX had been able to cashed in their balance. Only accounts from other countries still pending status to withdraw. And it seems FTX is seeking deals to sell the company to other party, especially their ex rivals.

•••
Crytpo and Domains are pretty unrelated in my book.

•••
There are two scenarios possible:

A) FTX will have a cascade affect, triggering a "bankrun" to other crypto exchanges like crypto.com / kucoin etc., which will inevitable lead to a drop of many altcoin prices + bitcoin.
That would be devastating.
(incl. for domains in this sector).

B) It will be limited to FTX and its co-companies.
Then I think we will see a range channel for many altcoin prices.

That would be much better, as a breakout to the upside is quite possible.
(which would also benefit domains).

•••
A view days ago all Cryptos are crashed. But today most Cryptos have changed direction. Not rebound yet, but it seems FTX effect is not very strong to other Cryptos.

Screenshot_2022-11-15-16-01-58-794_io.hotbit.shouyi.jpg

IMG_20221115_155535.jpg

Last edited:
•••
A view days ago all Cryptos are crashed. But today most Cryptos have changed direction. Not rebound yet, but it seems FTX effect is not very strong to other Cryptos.

Show attachment 227014

Show attachment 227012
Hopefully it stays like this.
Coming days will show, how many people take their assets off centralized exchanges.

However, the problem we have with FTX is exactly that: a centralized exchange, that was not really audited by the authorities / had a backdoor in its software to secretly move client funds.

Actually, this has nothing to do with crypto itself.
Just, that it does the opposite: Proofs, that decentralized approaches are much safer, than centralized (when these are not correctly governed).

So, I wouldn't be surprised if, ammit all those inflation fears, we could see a "run" within next weeks on the classic cryptos:
bitcoin & ethereum

Last edited:
•••
Best vid I could find on the ftx mess.

•••
•••
I think this is a pivotal moment for the entire field. The best thing IMO would be if sensible safeguards and regulations happened.

I also think they will. It is past the time lawmakers did something.

Some wild west shitshow is not beneficial to anyone, at least someone who is serious about the field and not just someone profiting as an agent of chaos.

Brad

•••
Looks like BlockFi is going under as well - as part of the FTX fallout. (Just saw headline on Bloomberg TV)

•••
Sounds like your talking about domaining and crypto
I think this is a pivotal moment for the entire field. The best thing IMO would be if sensible safeguards and regulations happened.

I also think they will. It is past the time lawmakers did something.

Some wild west shitshow is not beneficial to anyone, at least someone who is serious about the field and not just someone profiting as an agent of chaos.

Brad

•••
Sounds like your talking about domaining and crypto
The fallout could certainly effect certain segments of domaining like crypto / Web3 / NFT stuff far more than boring normal fields.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
The fallout could certainly effect certain segments of domaining like crypto / Web3 / NFT stuff far more than boring normal fields.

Brad

I like boring. Not life-changing but definitely not life destroying.

•••
Just heard of FTX and its collapse and that 30 billion USD evaporated with it.

How will everything be affected, do you think:

USD
Cryptos
Real estate
Gold
Stocks
Domains

Markets are controlled, but still maybe things will be allowed to go up or down naturally.

Logically USD was supposed to go up imo, because there is less cash. But instead gold went up 10 percent in a few days.
Someone (Gn.Dcd.) says there is too much gold, like billions, and trillions times more than publicly known (I don't believe it, but maybe there is some truth in it).

Can people be in debt, and still buy domains (as upgrade, or to support existing site via redirects)?

Online sources estimate total gold in the World between 160,000 and 250,000 tons.
As of this writing 1 ton gold is slightly below $56,000,000
160,000 times $56,000,000 = $8,960,000,000,000
250,000 times $56,000,000 = $14 Trillion

Last edited:
•••
If the domain FTX.com would be for sale now,
and you could get it for, lets say $10,000 - would you go for it?!

On the one side, the domain is being momrized as "biggest bankruptcy in crypto" by now,
on the other side, this is a great 3 digit domain, that could be (maybe) used for something else (?)

•••
If the domain FTX.com would be for sale now,
and you could get it for, lets say $10,000 - would you go for it?!

Sure, who wouldn't? Even as a raw domain, it is worth far more.

Even with the negative story, there is some serious value in the backlinks and traffic.

There is also some collectible value. I wonder what Enron.com would sell for?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Total mined gold, 2 to 3 million ton.
But a few people say, there is a lot more gold, and elites were hiding them.
But this doesn't mean gold price would drop. maybe it would be used in tech,
or trade with aliens; and not circulate on earth.

•••
Total mined gold, 2 to 3 million ton.
But a few people say, there is a lot more gold, and elites were hiding them.
But this doesn't mean gold price would drop. maybe it would be used in tech,
or trade with aliens; and not circulate on earth.

2-3 million ton gold is around $110-170 Trillion. Total GDP of the World is $101 Trillion. GDP of USA is around $25 Trillion or around 0.45 million ton gold worth of USD.
2-3 million tons even more gold looks possible considering GDP figures.

•••
On the other side there might be less gold. Because fiat currency has been printed in huge amounts. In order to hide how fiat curreny is worthless, total gold amount info could have been inflated, manipulated.

•••
Back