Top Bottom
Dan.com

discuss From $125 purchase to $17,500 sale for a two-word .co name

Dynadot
Impact
1,810
Please don't write the domain name in plain text to avoid it being indexed by search engines.

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 16.16.37.png


I find this one rather interesting so I decided to share my journey B-)

I bought the domain in May 2019.
Listed it for sale at $9,888.

On July 21st, 2020 I reduced the price to $8,999, and the very next day I received a legit $5,300 offer from a North American company. Without quoting any prices I asked them to bring the offer up a bit. Received zero responses to my "counter" email as well as on multiple follow-ups.

As a coincidence, that same summer I received a $3,500 offer for another .com domain that was priced at $7,xxx. And I also received zero responses on my proposal to increase an offer.

I was really pissed off. :xf.eek:

So I raised the prices on both names so that the next half-the-BIN offers would bring me what I want. :laugh: The .co one was priced at $15,000.

On Dec 20th, 2020 I received a new offer of $1,000 from the EU. They used some obscure email but I was able to track them down via "Name + My domain + Country" in Google. It was some EU company and they had just registered their company a couple of months prior to submitting an offer. So it was another genuine lead for the domain. We had some email exchange where I essentially told them I turned down a $5K offer back in summer and I'm surely not going to accept a lower offer, especially for a $15K domain name.

Radio silence until Jan 8th, 2021... Then the "EU guy" came back with another offer.

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 16.52.31.png


I replied I might consider a 10K offer if we close it in January, but he said they're not ready to commit just yet.

I gave them some time so that I don't look desperate and followed up ~2 weeks later. He said they "are looking into other names due to the price of Keyword.co as well as 'keyword' being a fairly crowded name already".

A week later they replied, "We have bought another domain."

Sad...

The good news for me was that I liquidated some domains for the total amount of around 15K via DNWE as I needed cash to start a small local business. So I was upset but okay B-) And because of the offers I knew at some point, there will be another company that would want the name.

Finally, in April 2021 I received a 4K NET offer via Afternic broker:

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 17.17.03.png


I replied "Thanks for the offer but it’s nowhere near my asking price, so I’m going to pass altogether."

Next week I got another one:

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 17.19.23.png


I should mention that at this point, I was pretty confident in the domain's value, and I also wanted to get well above 10K for the domain. Otherwise why I declined 8K in January? For an additional 2K in April? Doesn't make much sense, right? So I decided to stick with a BIN price of $15,000 because I would only receive ~$12,000 NET upon sale.

I replied to a broker "After giving it some thought, I’ve decided to stick to the BIN price. 12K NET is the lowest I want for the domain and I can’t justify the price reduction." And right after sending an email, I updated the price to $17,500 on all marketplaces including my own landers, because I wanted the buyers to come to me directly and I could ask for ~15K NET. :$::-D I did this a few times with other names and it never worked for me... until recently.

Two weeks later, at the end of April, I was in the position where I wanted to raise additional cash to buy some expensive stuff.

I listed a few domains at DNWE, and I also reached out to the Afternic broker (amongst a few other past leads for other domains):

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 17.31.59.png


If you have read this far, thank you!

Now please pause for a moment and ask yourself, what kind of reply would you expect from the broker? Buyers no longer interested?
They can only offer that same amount?
Congrats, the buyers have accepted your offer?

Considering all the above, I bet you wouldn't expect this kind of reply, wouldn't you??? Neither did I!

:$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$:

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 17.35.36.png


:$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$:

The happy end!

Thanks to the Afternic broker, who I assume touched base with buyers without mentioning I was willing to take less, the buyers just pulled the trigger on whatever the BIN was at the time. Just my thoughts, I haven't asked the broker, but I praised his abilities anyway. :xf.wink:

Please don't write the domain name in plain text to avoid it being indexed by search engines.
 

sharastar

Established Member
Impact
768
Please don't write the domain name in plain text to avoid it being indexed by search engines.

View attachment 189932

I find this one rather interesting so I decided to share my journey B-)

I bought the domain in May 2019.
Listed it for sale at $9,888.

On July 21st, 2020 I reduced the price to $8,999, and the very next day I received a legit $5,300 offer from a North American company. Without quoting any prices I asked them to bring the offer up a bit. Received zero responses to my "counter" email as well as on multiple follow-ups.

As a coincidence, that same summer I received a $3,500 offer for another .com domain that was priced at $7,xxx. And I also received zero responses on my proposal to increase an offer.

I was really pissed off. :xf.eek:

So I raised the prices on both names so that the next half-the-BIN offers would bring me what I want. :laugh: The .co one was priced at $15,000.

On Dec 20th, 2020 I received a new offer of $1,000 from the EU. They used some obscure email but I was able to track them down via "Name + My domain + Country" in Google. It was some EU company and they had just registered their company a couple of months prior to submitting an offer. So it was another genuine lead for the domain. We had some email exchange where I essentially told them I turned down a $5K offer back in summer and I'm surely not going to accept a lower offer, especially for a $15K domain name.

Radio silence until Jan 8th, 2021... Then the "EU guy" came back with another offer.

View attachment 189933

I replied I might consider a 10K offer if we close it in January, but he said they're not ready to commit just yet.

I gave them some time so that I don't look desperate and followed up ~2 weeks later. He said they "are looking into other names due to the price of Keyword.co as well as 'keyword' being a fairly crowded name already".

A week later they replied, "We have bought another domain."

Sad...

The good news for me was that I liquidated some domains for the total amount of around 15K via DNWE as I needed cash to start a small local business. So I was upset but okay B-) And because of the offers I knew at some point, there will be another company that would want the name.

Finally, in April 2021 I received a 4K NET offer via Afternic broker:

View attachment 189935

I replied "Thanks for the offer but it’s nowhere near my asking price, so I’m going to pass altogether."

Next week I got another one:

View attachment 189936

I should mention that at this point, I was pretty confident in the domain's value, and I also wanted to get well above 10K for the domain. Otherwise why I declined 8K in January? For an additional 2K in April? Doesn't make much sense, right? So I decided to stick with a BIN price of $15,000 because I would only receive ~$12,000 NET upon sale.

I replied to a broker "After giving it some thought, I’ve decided to stick to the BIN price. 12K NET is the lowest I want for the domain and I can’t justify the price reduction." And right after sending an email, I updated the price to $17,500 on all marketplaces including my own landers, because I wanted the buyers to come to me directly and I could ask for ~15K NET. :$::-D I did this a few times with other names and it never worked for me... until recently.

Two weeks later, at the end of April, I was in the position where I wanted to raise additional cash to buy some expensive stuff.

I listed a few domains at DNWE, and I also reached out to the Afternic broker (amongst a few other past leads for other domains):

View attachment 189937

If you have read this far, thank you!

Now please pause for a moment and ask yourself, what kind of reply would you expect from the broker? Buyers no longer interested?
They can only offer that same amount?
Congrats, the buyers have accepted your offer?

Considering all the above, I bet you wouldn't expect this kind of reply, wouldn't you??? Neither did I!

:$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$:

View attachment 189938

:$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$:

The happy end!

Thanks to the Afternic broker, who I assume touched base with buyers without mentioning I was willing to take less, the buyers just pulled the trigger on whatever the BIN was at the time. Just my thoughts, I haven't asked the broker, but I praised his abilities anyway. :xf.wink:

Please don't write the domain name in plain text to avoid it being indexed by search engines.

Congrats on your Good Sale @uzver and Thank You for Sharing this with us.

I really Love the way you were Firm with your Price and that shows you knew the Value of your Domain.

Also Congrats to that Afternic Sales Guy for his Good Negotiation Skills on this Sale.
 
Impact
166
@dombastic I don't live in the US, and everything the “tax-conscious guy” was saying is pretty much not applicable to me, besides ethics (and that’s beyond the topic of the thread much like his jealousy about the domain sale price, lol).

Sure.

Just for him to realize that the taxes are not paid for an individual sale, but all transactions in the financial year incl. minus transactions (renewals, investment in new domains etc.) with some differences for different entities and different jurisdictions. And in Monaco you probably do not have to anything...
 

DomainNameFlow

Upgraded Member
Impact
173
Please don't write the domain name in plain text to avoid it being indexed by search engines.

View attachment 189932

I find this one rather interesting so I decided to share my journey B-)

I bought the domain in May 2019.
Listed it for sale at $9,888.

On July 21st, 2020 I reduced the price to $8,999, and the very next day I received a legit $5,300 offer from a North American company. Without quoting any prices I asked them to bring the offer up a bit. Received zero responses to my "counter" email as well as on multiple follow-ups.

As a coincidence, that same summer I received a $3,500 offer for another .com domain that was priced at $7,xxx. And I also received zero responses on my proposal to increase an offer.

I was really pissed off. :xf.eek:

So I raised the prices on both names so that the next half-the-BIN offers would bring me what I want. :laugh: The .co one was priced at $15,000.

On Dec 20th, 2020 I received a new offer of $1,000 from the EU. They used some obscure email but I was able to track them down via "Name + My domain + Country" in Google. It was some EU company and they had just registered their company a couple of months prior to submitting an offer. So it was another genuine lead for the domain. We had some email exchange where I essentially told them I turned down a $5K offer back in summer and I'm surely not going to accept a lower offer, especially for a $15K domain name.

Radio silence until Jan 8th, 2021... Then the "EU guy" came back with another offer.

View attachment 189933

I replied I might consider a 10K offer if we close it in January, but he said they're not ready to commit just yet.

I gave them some time so that I don't look desperate and followed up ~2 weeks later. He said they "are looking into other names due to the price of Keyword.co as well as 'keyword' being a fairly crowded name already".

A week later they replied, "We have bought another domain."

Sad...

The good news for me was that I liquidated some domains for the total amount of around 15K via DNWE as I needed cash to start a small local business. So I was upset but okay B-) And because of the offers I knew at some point, there will be another company that would want the name.

Finally, in April 2021 I received a 4K NET offer via Afternic broker:

View attachment 189935

I replied "Thanks for the offer but it’s nowhere near my asking price, so I’m going to pass altogether."

Next week I got another one:

View attachment 189936

I should mention that at this point, I was pretty confident in the domain's value, and I also wanted to get well above 10K for the domain. Otherwise why I declined 8K in January? For an additional 2K in April? Doesn't make much sense, right? So I decided to stick with a BIN price of $15,000 because I would only receive ~$12,000 NET upon sale.

I replied to a broker "After giving it some thought, I’ve decided to stick to the BIN price. 12K NET is the lowest I want for the domain and I can’t justify the price reduction." And right after sending an email, I updated the price to $17,500 on all marketplaces including my own landers, because I wanted the buyers to come to me directly and I could ask for ~15K NET. :$::-D I did this a few times with other names and it never worked for me... until recently.

Two weeks later, at the end of April, I was in the position where I wanted to raise additional cash to buy some expensive stuff.

I listed a few domains at DNWE, and I also reached out to the Afternic broker (amongst a few other past leads for other domains):

View attachment 189937

If you have read this far, thank you!

Now please pause for a moment and ask yourself, what kind of reply would you expect from the broker? Buyers no longer interested?
They can only offer that same amount?
Congrats, the buyers have accepted your offer?

Considering all the above, I bet you wouldn't expect this kind of reply, wouldn't you??? Neither did I!

:$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$:

View attachment 189938

:$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$::$:

The happy end!

Thanks to the Afternic broker, who I assume touched base with buyers without mentioning I was willing to take less, the buyers just pulled the trigger on whatever the BIN was at the time. Just my thoughts, I haven't asked the broker, but I praised his abilities anyway. :xf.wink:

Please don't write the domain name in plain text to avoid it being indexed by search engines.

Solid, This is really inspiring (y)
 
Name Worth