Dynadot

Friend with a dozen 3 LETTER .COMS (NOT) Selling them to me for like $50/ea

NameSilo
Watch

CWDigital

Adapt and OvercomeEstablished Member
Impact
Friend with a dozen 3 LETTER .COMS (MAYBE) Selling them to me for like $$$/ea??

Omigod guys I think I may be in....a friend I used to work with has all these domains from back in the internet boom days...he has an email company and has no idea about the value of domains these days...he doesnt even want them really..but said he likes them since they are short and asked a WHOPPING $50 EACH for them! LOL I think I am gonna make some $$$$$$$$$$$ He even said he thinks he has a few 2 letter! Am I dreaming or what...

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If a guy holding several 2 letter and 3 letter domains for years and who does not knows the value, then why the hell would he be renewing them???. Isnt it an expense for him to renew all those domains he has??.
The thread starter is just playing around with us :)

•••
I Survived Hurricane Jeanne! 2nd one this month!

OK.....well after having to ask a mod to re-open this thread I am here to answer all the bountiful requests for more info (and answer the negative crap that has polluted my thread by some uneducated people who have NO CLUE what they are talking about) ...in case you don't know... I LIVE IN SOUTH FLORIDA AND WE JUST GOT CRUSHED BY ANOTHER HURRICANE! I have been offline and we still do not have power where I live..I am back at work now and finally have access to a computer so here I am...

My friends name is Peter and we worked together several years ago at an opt-in email marketing company in Boca Raton, Florida selling email marketing campaigns to large companies...he has since started his own company doing the same thing and had regged several domain names back in the mid 90's... This is his business and he is not in the domain business as many of us are...what some of you may not undertstand is that not everyone realizes the value of domains just because they have something to do with the internet. DUH! Why do you think 3 letter .coms/.nets/.orgs/etc are dropped almost everyday? Think about it...there ARE lots of people who own domains and will sell them for a small sum well below market value...times get hard and people get desperate... Anyways, he WAS mistaken about the 2 letter .com and it is not his to sell as it is owned by his business partner who DOES know alot about domains...the deal with the 3 letter .coms was also short circuited once he ran it by his partner Dave..so if it makes you happy to know that I did not end up buying the domains for any amount then so be it, but this is not BS and I am completely honest in ALL of my posts and have dealt with many other namepros members in a business capacity...I like many of you am another hungry domain speculator/broker trying to make a buck and got VERY excited when this began.... Anyone posting any further negative or improper posts in my thread will be reported to the site mods and will be dealt with accordingly...Would'nt you have got excited if you came this close to getting such a great deal? I did....

You will never find or "ALMOST" find killer deals like this if you don't ask for them! Remember guys...If you don't gamble you can't win! ;)

Last edited:
•••
I would be jumping up and down if I got such a deal.

I know what you're saying.
Also, I hope you and everyone there were safe and weren't harmed by Jeanne.

True_Snake

•••
I came CLOSER than ever before dude...and I just wanted to share my near $$$$$ fortune with my fellow Namepros members...I have to say though I am very disappointed in some of the newer members (and regulars) "bashing" type posting in this thread in the last few days, there was alot of negativity and anger just because I was'nt here to defend myself...little did they know I was going through a hurricane and they had NO CLUE of the circumstances..guess it sucks when you are not the one in the action! Sometimes when you post that type of crap in otherwise happy and upbeat threads you are just making a bad name for yourself and putting your foot in your mouth...I feel very bad for some of these newer namepro'ers who just are not starting out on a good foot... Take this as a lesson newbees! And stay the hell out of my threads if you don't have anything nice to say! And everyone else - I still love ya!

:kickass:

Chris ;)

•••
redhippo said:
jehnidiah said:
I just *love* how everyone absolutely knows who is and is not telling the truth, even without them giving any sort of information that would prove them either way. Guilty til proven innocent here concerning this guy lying, is it? Come on folks, even if this is probably not something that happens every day, NONE of you know the truth at all, and making judegments based on no information is very immature and disrespectful, in my humble opinion.

i agree! whatever his reason or motive! the man need an opportunity to answer to whatever "charges" against his claims.
otherwise we are nothing more than internet lynch mob!!

for all you know he might be in the hospital with two broken legs!;)

**correction** no broken legs just broken internet!! ;)sorry to hear of your sad situation Chris..saw it on the TV...very Bad

HOPES all things sort out well for you!

•••
PRIME example of what namepros is all about....

redhippo said:
**correction** no broken legs just broken internet!! ;)sorry to hear of your sad situation Chris..saw it on the TV...very Bad

HOPES all things sort out well for you!

Now you rock dude! :) Thanks for the kind words and may you forever have bountiful short memorable domains! :kickass:

Chris

•••
When will you have the domains?

•••
didnt get them dude...read a few posts above you...

•••
WaveMail.com said:
By the way ... were you ever successful in calling the new owner's of "RYL.us"? :talk:
It's all so very odd, the domain Whois details have still not updated - at least according to Whois.sc! This must be in error at this point? :blink:

PS. Good Luck with the weather! ;)
:wave:

here ya go Jeff.....don't doubt Superdealchris dude!
Check the whois update!

http://www.enom.com/domains/whois.asp?DomainName=ryl.us

•••
Sorry for u not getting the domains. I wish u could have got them and sold me for 100$ each and got a 100% profit in a day. .. . .

good to know u r safe from Ms. HURRICANE ..

Welcome to the real world again.

•••
want me to post the list of names before I buy them so I can be sure it's worth the money?

Deal over! guy not selling! no harm then if you do as you said you were gonna do and post the list. Oops, but I bet you all my NB$$ you dont quite manage it... Im sure theres a good reason though. Maybe Jeanne blew the list out the window.?

Hey but im glad youre ok.

here ya go Jeff.....don't doubt Superdealchris dude!
Check the whois update!

http://www.enom.com/domains/whois.asp?DomainName=ryl.us

And its also nice to see that planetwidegames also have an enom account. Youd have thought though, what with that ceo chasing you an all, that the name was that important enough for them to transfer to their own registrar. Hey but who am i to question the mechanics of big business.

Last edited:
•••
Sayang, you've almost had it.

•••
Wow.......
I must say this thread is competing with the longest thread on namepros!!

•••
You obviously werent around when the googlebear hit town.......... :lol:

http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=41773&highlight=googlee

I guess threads will always go on this long when someones in a hole and digs another hole in order to try and get out....

I may be wrong - i doubt it - but ive 150NB$$ compensation for Chris if iam. :red:

•••
^ start a Research agency collieri. U sure go to the root of whatever..

•••
superdealchris said:
didnt get them dude...

Since, in the end, the desired domains were not acquired - which was the original topic of the thread - I'll leave it open for another 24+/- hours and then wrap it up so that we can all move forward with our respective domain name dealings, etc. :talk:

Thanks much.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Well, what a yer know.....!

Instead of posting a reply to, what from me, were legitimate, harmless and easy to comply to requests (certainly for an honest person to answer), Superdealchris's reply was to leave negative feedback against my reputation... Classy....

Surely, in order to prove that you are not the next snakeoil salesman rolling into town, it would be easier Chris to post your list of 3 letter domains that you almost purchased here. After all, you say you have them readily to hand? And obviously once posted we will all be able to see that this list all show as having the same owner and all show as being in a Florida location. So, I dare ya, do it and claim your 150NB$$. Whats stopping ya?

But Im afraid there-in lies Chris's problem..! There is no list, no names and possibly no friend/s

And while we are at it - ryl.us - (you know the name Chris was being pursued for by the CEO of planetwidegames and which he subsequently (allegedly) sold to him for a record price for a .us name) well suddenly the whois data gets updated to show planetwidegames as owner. Oops, but it still shows as having enom as the registrar instead of register.com. Silly mistake. Oh, and also, the domain is on a URL redirect to planetwidegames.com. Might have been better Chris if youd have repointed it to ryl.net... Would have been more plausible then.

Mind you, if you offer planetwidegames ryl.us for free perhaps? Then scour the whois looking for florida based owners of 3 letter domains perhaps you can come back here and say 'whos the snakeoil salesman now?'. Oh, sorry, youve tried that already. :lol:

•••
Subj: RE: RYL.us domain
Date: 8/5/2004 7:04:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time
To: <s o l i d g r o u n d s o n @ a o l . c o m>
Reply-To: <[email protected]>
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Ok, we'll buy it for $2,500, I guess. Do you want to deal directly? Or what?

-MikeW

-----Original Message-----
From: s o l i d g r o u n d s o n @ a o l . c o m [mailto:s o l i d g r o u n d s o n @ a o l . c o m]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 3:50 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: RYL.us domain

Hi Mike, maybe we should start over, I am a reasonable person and I assume you are too, we are both Williams btw!, I want you to have the name and obviously this domain would be a great benefit to your company and game release, the .us extension is also becoming huge and is completely sold out in the 3 char range, it is also impossible to forget and is very catchy..kind of like the game title. Check out this excerpt from a notable domain name pioneer on domains:

"Still, Schwartz thinks the new extensions are a better bet than one old-timer, .net. , .org is the #2 extension because of its widespread use with charities and heavy TV and print advertising. .net is the orphan. It has no identity and loses massive amounts of traffic automatically to the .com counterpart. Not basing your business on a .net extension is the #1 piece of advice I would give anyone that asked. I would choose a .whatever over ANY .net unless you own the .com version. If you promote .net, and don’t own the .com, you are likely working hard for someone else and wasting 15%-25% or more of your hard work and marketing efforts. It is the single biggest mistake one can make on the Internet."

the whole article is here:

http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/cover020204.htm

:)

I actually raised the price to $10K for ADVERTISING on Sedo because after I saw that RYL.net sold for $9500, and at the time I did not know who had bought it, I did not want to risk losing money if they bid just $2500 for mine and I could get more! I am sure you can appreciate that as a businessman.

So I did a search on the term "RYL" and found out it is the acronym for a Fortune 500 company www.ryland.com (#481 actually) and also their stock ticker symbol is "RYL" I am speaking with them today about this domain, and they DO want the name. I am a little bit of a gamer myself and have cetain "pet peeves" about big companies so I would much rather a software company like yours have it than some big huge corporate bullshit homebuilder, at the same time I should receive a fair price for the name (it is a good one)
as I am sure you agree, so let's do this..back when I first registered the name and put it on sedo I was asking a mere $2500 and kind of put it out there and just forgot about it, so here we are now..let me know your thoughts and I sincerely hope your company has tremendous success with the RYL launch!

Chris Williams

•••
Ok well above is the copied email from my "saved on aol" folder.....

•••
this was the first email:

Subj: RE: RYL.us domain
Date: 8/5/2004 5:29:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time
To: <s o l i d g r o u n d s o n @ a o l . c o m>
Cc: "Chip Bumgardner" <[email protected]>
Reply-To: <[email protected]>
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Hi Chris,

You offered the site for $2,500 and we passed on it already, so jacking the
price to $9,500 now isn't going to change our minds... ;)

Thanks,

Mike Williams

-----Original Message-----
From: s o l i d g r o u n d s o n @ a o l . c o m [mailto:s o l i d g r o u n d s o n @ a o l . c o m]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 1:19 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RYL.us domain

I understand you are interested in my domain "RYL.US", I spoke with Chip
today and he advised me to email you my contact info...I noticed online that
you purchased RYL.net for $9500, I will take a close offer for mine and can
transfer the domain immediately to you, let me know how you would like to
proceed..

Chris Williams

•••
and the domain still resides in my enom account until they have one I can transfer it to, I have yet to receive any instructions from them as to where I should push it...the guy who was handling the domain buying is no longer with the company and as a favor I have updated the whois info to reflect their ownership and pointed it to their site as requested....anything else?

•••
Do you need me to scan in the copy of the cashed check numb-nutts? lol

•••
superdealchris said:
anything else?

Yes, you owe me a commission for using that Rick Schwartz quote from DNJournal to make your sales pitch so persuasive. :D

•••
•••
Ok and as far as any lists go, I'm not the posting info on ANY 3 letter domains here! Do you think I'm stupid? I am still negotiating a purchase and the last thing I need is someone screwing it up! So in closing guys..thanks for the heat...I'm from South Florida..I'm used to it! :) Peace and Pot!

Chris

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back