news Former France.com domain owner asks Supreme Court to consider case

Namecheap

NickB

it's a mystery
Impact

NickB

it's a mystery
Impact
Timing is probably quite bad with AUSUK, France are not happy with America, so don't think they will care too much about what US supreme court says.

But can a US court order ICANN to transfer the domain back over if previous owner wins the appeal?
That's a good question - ICANN are a U.S group after all.

Last edited:
Impact
There is wikipedia link on "Atout France" and foreign diplomacy .... There are multiple pages in English and in French.

Adding entries like lawsuit, stolen domain, and controversy about France.com could help. Even with Ausuk ...big media will help alot since its one more reason for Ausuk to exist ....

Last edited:

BrandEntrance.com

Open 24/7/365
Impact
"La" is an article.. that's like saying "The" United States.
It's still the name of their country in French.

If I owned UnitedStates.com then the US Govt wouldn't be able to claim it from me. The country is called USA for short. The United States of America.

But they could probably claim TheUnitedStatesOfAmerica.com. Anyway .gov is for governments. The guy should have changed his name to Francecom.

Last edited:

BrandEntrance.com

Open 24/7/365
Impact
Interesting. There are a few interpretations about that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_France
Great reading. Just reinforced what I stated. The word France is used by some romantic languages etc and maybe built from the old word Frankreich but it's still not 'France' in French. It's 'La France'. Here it is called Frankrike and is registered privately and I bet they wouldn't complain. So why go after the English name and a guy who has had it for a long time. They should have bought it.

Anyway I really thought the French were super patriotic and for the french language. I guess they have realised that English is just as good.

Last edited:

CraigD

Top Contributor
Impact
Last edited:

BrandEntrance.com

Open 24/7/365
Impact
"In 2019, the French Government decided to gather all French public operators acting internationally under a “France” label, with the aim of unifying and increasing the clarity of France’s action abroad."

Great, France changes their rules for how the world works in 2019 and everybody has to just follow their bandwagon. (I truly believe they would lose this case in a European Court). Is this how this works? I am assuming that this is the reason they went after france.com.

Last edited: