Dynadot

poll Flipping vs Collectors approach to domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What type of domainer you are?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Collector. I want to have the best domains!

votes
    16.7%
  • I am rather collecting. Gains are not so important!

vote
    8.3%
  • I have a mixed inventory.

votes
    25.0%
  • I am rather flipping. If domain don't sells, why keeping it?!

vote
    8.3%
  • Domain seller. Profit is my main focus!

votes
    41.7%
  • None of the above.

votes
    0.0%
  • I don't know.

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Maximinus

Established Member
Impact
Hello fellow domainers,

Many in this forum deliver battles and argue about different pricing and sales strategies over the years. This results in confusing and misleading content over the whole forum. Many glorify multimillion domain deals on the other hand many preach the importance of high sales ratio.
The terms "domaining" and "domainer" are rather large. Many struggle to understand these terms hide two very different in their nature archetypes. Domain sellers and domain investors.
In my humble opinion there's two different mindsets: Flipping(Commercial approach) and Collectors (Investment) approach. Let's take a look at them!

Flipping is a business model which is profit focused and is only viable if it generates good enough sales rates. A "flipper" can invest in geodomains or in certain niche domains. He often sales agresivelly and uses outbound campaigns. Flipping can lead someone to cybersquatting and trademark issues if he's not trained, uneducated or simply malicious. The flipping strategy may consist of niche handregistration, followed by outbound campaign to potential endusers and letting expire all unsold inventory.
Many of the new domain extensions are focused on flipping with low registration and high renewal prices.

Collecting consists of having the best domains rather than immediate profit. Inflation hits many and entire sectors of the economy are colapsing these days. Domain investing can protect ones wealth. I'll give an example here. In order to sell a domain like Voice.com for 30 millions, one must refuse an offer of 29M and be willing to wait for another 30 years or so for a simillar buyer. To achieve such a sale performance one must be confident of the domains transcendent value.
Many will argue here there is no such opportunities nowadays and all the great names were taken at the very beginning of the web. But this is false. Many great brands are yet to be born. The technology boom on internet is only starting.

Selling and investing are both viable strategies, if applied in consistent and conscious manner.
There is nothing written in a stone of course. One may collect certain domains, while very well flipping others. All that matters is to understand there is a difference.
What type of domainer you are? Do you invest in domains or you sell for profit? Am I missing something? Please, share your thoughts!

Greetings

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Collector, by your explanation , implies people are only getting sales if they flip for low which is false. I don’t even agree that these are the two categories of domainers or that there are only two. 😂

To put it simply as an NFT term- there are paper hands in domaining and diamond hands. Paper hands wants to sell at any price quickly. Diamond hands holds out for the right price or close to it or considerable profit.

These categories coincide with a domainers holding decisions. Many do this one year hold strategy which is fine but much less likely to sell for much or ever be able to climb the ladder to higher prices.

Others hold 2 plus years and wait for end users. This group imo is much more likely to have long term success as long as the prices fit the domains.

You mentioned misleading info on this forum. Don’t know what you mean by that. This is a forum of opinions by many different voices but I don’t think anyone goes out of their way to mislead.

•••
Collector, by your explanation , implies people are only getting sales if they flip for low which is false. I don’t even agree that these are the two categories of domainers or that there are only two. 😂

To put it simply as an NFT term- there are paper hands in domaining and diamond hands. Paper hands wants to sell at any price quickly. Diamond hands holds out for the right price or close to it or considerable profit.

These categories coincide with a domainers holding decisions. Many do this one year hold strategy which is fine but much less likely to sell for much or ever be able to climb the ladder to higher prices.

Others hold 2 plus years and wait for end users. This group imo is much more likely to have long term success as long as the prices fit the domains.

You mentioned misleading info on this forum. Don’t know what you mean by that. This is a forum of opinions by many different voices but I don’t think anyone goes out of their way to mislead.
Thanks for sharing your opinion @karmaco
I believe there is a contradiction between
people are only getting sales if they flip for low which is false.
and
Many do this one year hold strategy which is fine but much less likely to sell for much or ever be able to climb the ladder to higher prices.
I pretty much agree with you. I don't blame anyone in trying to mislead.

Thaks a lot for the "paper hands" and "diamond hands" examples! I was unaware of those terms :)
I don’t even agree that these are the two categories of domainers or that there are only two. 😂
I pretty much agree! "Collector" and "Seller" are rather the extreme polarities(profiles) in domaining than precise categories. But all domaining activities fall somewhere in between.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back