Dynadot

Flippa's outrageous fees to sell domains!?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lotus03

Established Member
Impact
Was looking at selling a few of my domains on Flippa and was baffled to find out that it is a $49 AUD fee ($33USD) per domain!!! and then there's the % commission fee if it ends up selling. and this $49 is the basic listing only.

This is daylight robbery.

So a domain investor that wants to list 100 domains on flippa has to forkout $4900 just to list them on the site. absolute joke.

I questioned them and this is their response "all asset types start at $49/listing to list for sale on Flippa. We do not offer discounts to list portfolios of domains"

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Flippa killed itself a long time ago. You wouldn't get any eyes on your names there anyway so save your money. Ultimately that business model isn't sustainable long term so at some point it'll change or they'll go out of business.

•••
Flippa was very good in past when there were lots of buyers and sellers and now flippa is a past story last month i visited flippa accidentaly after a year and there were no buyers and sellers only few crapy domains. And if i'm not wrong a indian seller buywebbrand he was a very famous seller on flippa last time i seen his domain xafy .com sold there $5500.
It's only for the friends of Flippa, where nepotism ran rampant at the expense of others. I knew a higher up that quit a long time ago who admitted it. Also, if you dig deep enough, you'll find evidence. I remember that one Indian guy from Hawaii. They showcased him when he got in at just the right time of luck. I remember he got his start selling an obscure domain for an obscene amount of money. That's how he got his start. Then he started ballin. I'm not saying he's not a talented or a great broker, but who knows what role luck played and if he got further assistance from Flippa. The one-off success story inspired others with false hope and pumped up Flippa's PR taking everyone's money with it.

Last edited:
•••
The problem with user auctions on the majority of the larger marketplaces is that they are almost invisible compared to the marketplaces own inventory (basically expired domains) which is understandable as that's what makes them the most revenue. I mean you see awful names on GD expired auctions going for crazy money but if you put your own half decent name on there you'll be lucky to get any views.
Yep. GD not only shows expired names but many other names ( Bin) by default and we have to tweak it. The domain anyone list there under 7 days auction hardly get any views but when the same names expires there will be a demand 😂 unless the name is below average.
They should separate user & expired auctions properly so that it won't confuse the buyers and sellers and make it beneficial for everyone.

Hope, someone in the coming years build a site just for user auctions listing with a reasonable fee structure and good interface.

Last edited:
•••
That's right.
Long back (11-12 years before) I used to use Flippa and though I don't remember exactly, I guess it was $1 or $5 to list a domain and if it was not sold you can relist the domain.
Later after many years now I started again and when checked the price I just got shocked by the price and there are no people there anymore to buy or sell domains as it was back then.
Flipping domains at Flippa is an old story now.
Around 10 years ago it was free to list a domain but you had to pay to run a domain auction or boost the visibility of your name. Bare in mind that back then they were solely a domain sales site and were one of the larger marketplaces before allegations of shill bidding and favouritism by the "editors".

They then expanded I to selling scam websites etc.

•••
Yes. It used to just domain sales.
Now, domain sales page is almost hidden, probably because there is no/low revenue.
They should have just maintained the same.
Now, I don't see any marketplace having a good auctions page, which is easily a good revenue earning opportunity for big businesses. And small business can't invest huge amount to establish a good user interface site and also maintain all the legal things involved in the business.
The problem with user auctions on the majority of the larger marketplaces is that they are almost invisible compared to the marketplaces own inventory (basically expired domains) which is understandable as that's what makes them the most revenue. I mean you see awful names on GD expired auctions going for crazy money but if you put your own half decent name on there you'll be lucky to get any views.

•••
@lotus03 Why would you even consider selling domains on Flippa in the first place? I personally don't care about their fees because I'd never want to sell a domain there. If you want top dollars for your domains, sell them elsewhere.

Last edited:
•••
Flippa killed itself a long time ago. You wouldn't get any eyes on your names there anyway so save your money. Ultimately that business model isn't sustainable long term so at some point it'll change or they'll go out of business.
That's right.
Long back (11-12 years before) I used to use Flippa and though I don't remember exactly, I guess it was $1 or $5 to list a domain and if it was not sold you can relist the domain.
Later after many years now I started again and when checked the price I just got shocked by the price and there are no people there anymore to buy or sell domains as it was back then.

Last edited:
•••
Around 10 years ago it was free to list a domain but you had to pay to run a domain auction or boost the visibility of your name. Bare in mind that back then they were solely a domain sales site and were one of the larger marketplaces before allegations of shill bidding and favouritism by the "editors".

They then expanded I to selling scam websites etc.
Yes. It used to just domain sales.
Now, domain sales page is almost hidden, probably because there is no/low revenue.
They should have just maintained the same.
Now, I don't see any marketplace having a good auctions page, which is easily a good revenue earning opportunity for big businesses. And small business can't invest huge amount to establish a good user interface site and also maintain all the legal things involved in the business.

•••
Flippa don't want you to sell your names , that is why they are charging $33 for listing a name, that names get two or three views during the auction period. If you are thinking to list your names at Flippa, forget it. It is sheer waste of money

Last edited:
•••
Flippa was very good in past when there were lots of buyers and sellers and now flippa is a past story last month i visited flippa accidentaly after a year and there were no buyers and sellers only few crapy domains. And if i'm not wrong a indian seller buywebbrand he was a very famous seller on flippa last time i seen his domain xafy .com sold there $5500.

•••
Yeah, Flippa no longer cares about domains. All the money is in websites for them these days so they really don't have a product for domainers.

•••
I have an aged account on there that has great feedback.
I soured on them when they partnered with a ready made website company that was doing exactly what I was already doing with bespoke websites. Those guys didn't like competition, so I left.
I was thinking of listing a few websites but am staggered by the jump in price from 29 dollars to 39 dollars to 49 dollars (US) in the space of six months.
Screams desperation.
They should have sold themselves when they were worth something.
Blake, Flippa CEO with the World's most punchable face, is an obnoxious tosser which makes it funny now that Flippa is dying quickly.

•••
Flippa will F itself out of business....

•••
i just tried to list a domain and it show 24USD
and it was 19USD not so long ago

which is a fair price for the exposure

people list terrible domains and complain they dont get bids

making money on Flippa work only if you use the advanced listing,
it cost,
but it give you access to real buyers
so only use it for great domains

if you plan to list 100 handregs, you are losing money for sure

nowadays their marketplace is great to list websites,
use it to sell blogs/websites
it is a better investment

Last edited:
•••
That's right.
Flippa was big in the news like 7 years ago, and it's also part of why i got into domaining. There were front home page articles featuring Flippa and people selling websites there.

I guess no one mentions flippa anymore though.

•••
True, Flippa was happenin over 5 years ago, but they are just irrelevant these days. Flippa gave me a bit of struggle recently, when I got in a tussle with a moron, who tried buying a domain that I once owned, and didn't see my replied message about having already sold the domain. That's another problem with Flippa. The idiot gave me a negative review. I didn't really care, because Flippa is pretty much done in the domain realm. They still could keep afloat with selling online businesses. That's probably the only reason now that they are staying afloat.

•••
I never have luck there any more.

•••
Was looking at selling a few of my domains on Flippa and was baffled to find out that it is a $49 AUD fee ($33USD) per domain!!! and then there's the % commission fee if it ends up selling. and this $49 is the basic listing only.

So a domain investor that wants to list 100 domains on flippa has to forkout $4900 just to list them on the site. absolute joke.

I questioned them and this is their response "all asset types start at $49/listing to list for sale on Flippa. We do not offer discounts to list portfolios of domains"
What a joke :) Listing a domain name in the marketplace $49 where you will get 1-5 at most visitors, rather ask me I will create a page for you for free to showcase your sale page.

•••

these robotic responses are really annoying!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back