Dynadot

information First month in domaining. My experience: 7 sales, sh*t handregs, website built.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dosebuy

Page: Dosebuy.com Twitter: @dosebuyEstablished Member
Impact
Hello!

Ive been in domain for the whole month of July first. Some bullet points. I know I have A LOT to learn! Its been intense. But the community have been awesome!

• Embarrassed by my first week of handregs.
• Sold 7 domains. No higher than $130.
• Said no to a low xxxx.
• Built a website (that is going to be developed more, hence the poll today. Thanks for input).
• Bought and Flipped two LLLL.com
• Sold one name on DomainLore-auction.
• Had Guta.com interested to keep an eye out for buyers of my TheAutoDriver.com. (Extreme longshot)
• Handregged 75 names. Need to try and trim at least half of those.

These are the domains sold (like I said, for next to nothing)

LutQ/ com
xIVF/ com
LibraTra/ de
TokenTra/ de
CryptoTra/ de
Tokentic/ com
Coinslot/ uk

Its been a wild month. Have had vacation so the time has been available. But start my day-job on wednesday. But it was a good ”BootCamp”. Thanks ALL for you help and input!

Best Regards

/Johan

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
congratulations! As Bob said, impressive. Keep it up. whoohoo!

•••
Said no to a low xxxx.
I would love to hear your reflections on that. It must be hard, especially in early domain career, to say no to that. Did you have any regrets? Were you torn or sure you should say no? In so many ways your start has really impressed me, and thank you for sharing it in this thread.

•••
Nice entry and example ... congrats for your sales...

Last edited:
•••
I would love to hear your reflections on that. It must be hard, especially in early domain career, to say no to that. Did you have any regrets? Were you torn or sure you should say no? In so many ways your start has really impressed me, and thank you for sharing it in this thread.

It sure was. I have told the story somewhere else in a thread here on Namepros. But it has to do with

• Not knowing enough
• Bad timing
• Hoping

It was a couple of days after I had put up my website. I had handregged the domain TheAutoDriver //com and been in touch with a couple of brokers. Polite responses but no one wanted to broker it because its not Premium. Except for a broker at Guta that asked for a asking price ($25 000) and said that they would like to keep an eye out for a buyer for me. Not like they where gonna push it on their website but enough to have me hoping.

Around the same time (maybe even the same day) I got an inbound offer on low xxxx for this domain. Being high on the broker contact I politly said that Im looking for more and returned with my asking price. We had some more mails back and forth, at first it seemed legit but now its been silent for long. So its probably just someone messing with me.
With the experience I have now three weeks later (LOL) I maybe should have said yes 😂

/Johan

•••
How good was the calibre did you just roll over because you were asked 7 closed is ok you can close now can you retain margin. What could you do with something decent?

Last edited:
•••
Johan, great start - congrats! (y)

•••
How good was the calibre did you just roll over because you were asked 7 closed is ok you can close now can you retain margin. What could you do with something decent?

Sorry I dont understand this.
I dont think I can close now since the person that made the offer has gone quite.

•••
Congratulations Johan for making your first month in domaining constructive, profitable and set a long term vision. All the best.
Haroon

•••
Making a profit on these 7 is definitely a good sign. So congrats. However, most people here seem to miss the fact that you're still in the red zone due to other purchases. As you put it, after these sales: "Not enough to break even yet...to put it mildly.".

Making a profit on some domains doesn't help when other purchases and future renewals eat up all the income. Naturally after one month it's hard to judge your overall investments. Most early ones will probably be a bust and the rest could be better judged in a year. Either way, improving your strategy as you go along (like you did with the 4L) is a good indication that you could make money from this. Just be careful when you buy and when you renew. Buying right is the most important thing because when you buy right, that's when the future money is made. When you buy wrong (wrong domain or wrong price), you're doomed and may continue to literally continue to pay for the mistakes every year if you decide to renew. Good luck!

•••
Cool my first sale was for $320 on a handreg sold it the first week or so.

•••
Making a profit on these 7 is definitely a good sign. So congrats. However, most people here seem to miss the fact that you're still in the red zone due to other purchases.

Thanks for your reply! With all you pointed out this for sure is the important one. Alot of people congratulate me on an awesome first month. But im still $800 back and if I break even on new year I consider it a success. I will probably drop 50% of my portfolio by renewal-times. But I will try to see this money as education.

Thanks for a good reply. Really really good points made!

/Johan

•••
•••
•••
Hello!

Ive been in domain for the whole month of July first. Some bullet points. I know I have A LOT to learn! Its been intense. But the community have been awesome!

• Embarrassed by my first week of handregs.
• Sold 7 domains. No higher than $130.
• Said no to a low xxxx.
• Built a website (that is going to be developed more, hence the poll today. Thanks for input).
• Bought and Flipped two LLLL.com
• Sold one name on DomainLore-auction.
• Had Guta.com interested to keep an eye out for buyers of my TheAutoDriver.com. (Extreme longshot)
• Handregged 75 names. Need to try and trim at least half of those.

These are the domains sold (like I said, for next to nothing)

LutQ/ com
xIVF/ com
LibraTra/ de
TokenTra/ de
CryptoTra/ de
Tokentic/ com
Coinslot/ uk

Its been a wild month. Have had vacation so the time has been available. But start my day-job on wednesday. But it was a good ”BootCamp”. Thanks ALL for you help and input!

Best Regards

/Johan

Hi, and congrats on your first months' sales! I think any sales-profits in the first month is great.

You say $130 sales is "next to nothing", but I think there is a place for low-ticket, frequent sales. I would be quite happy with 20 sales of $100 domains earning me $2000 per month. In fact, I am going for $100-500 domains, on purpose, to start with.

Anyways, wish you the best with your future domain sales.

•••
have to say, a very nice start...congratulations

•••
Great work Johan,

You are doing better than me on the sales side, I am in my first month too! I think I may just be addicted to collecting domains, I want them all:dead:! luckily my day job can sustain the addiction for the moment. I too am 3-4 weeks in and the only thing that I think I might be getting right is the website. I used www.EFTY.com for the free trial period but like it so much I signed up for the $6 version. Anyway it allowed me to create this www.TheWebBrokers.com I still have more plans to improve it a bit more but I need to shift my focus to sales side for a bit.

I also created some logos took about 5 minutes each well worth it. Now the best thing about the site and Efty is it allows google analytics so I can see how many visits or interest each of my domains gets. I then re arrange the order they appear on my site based on that. I have the site live for about 4-5 days and analytics running for the last 3 days. I can see I have had over 600 unique visitors in those 3 days and 20% of them click on at least one of my domains. I think they do it due to the logos I have made not so much the name. For example www.CatShipping.com seems to be popular. Most of the traffic is accidental due to the domains being redirected there but it is still nice to see which ones are popular and grab peoples attention when they do happen upon my site. I would highly recommend using google analytics and it seems to be free they haven't asked me for money yet!

I am gathering together a list of all the mistakes, tools and tips that I have but until I make some good sales I wont bother sharing it because it would be like the blind leading the blind. I have received some great advice from some of the generous experienced domainers on this site and hopefully I can follow it up with some results. Anyway best of luck!

•••
Great work Johan,

You are doing better than me on the sales side, I am in my first month too! I think I may just be addicted to collecting domains, I want them all:dead:! luckily my day job can sustain the addiction for the moment. I too am 3-4 weeks in and the only thing that I think I might be getting right is the website. I used www.EFTY.com for the free trial period but like it so much I signed up for the $6 version. Anyway it allowed me to create this www.TheWebBrokers.com I still have more plans to improve it a bit more but I need to shift my focus to sales side for a bit.

I also created some logos took about 5 minutes each well worth it. Now the best thing about the site and Efty is it allows google analytics so I can see how many visits or interest each of my domains gets. I then re arrange the order they appear on my site based on that. I have the site live for about 4-5 days and analytics running for the last 3 days. I can see I have had over 600 unique visitors in those 3 days and 20% of them click on at least one of my domains. I think they do it due to the logos I have made not so much the name. For example www.CatShipping.com seems to be popular. Most of the traffic is accidental due to the domains being redirected there but it is still nice to see which ones are popular and grab peoples attention when they do happen upon my site. I would highly recommend using google analytics and it seems to be free they haven't asked me for money yet!

I am gathering together a list of all the mistakes, tools and tips that I have but until I make some good sales I wont bother sharing it because it would be like the blind leading the blind. I have received some great advice from some of the generous experienced domainers on this site and hopefully I can follow it up with some results. Anyway best of luck!

Wow, awesome post! You seem like you are learning alot also! Hit me up on PM if you want to discuss stuff newbie-newbie 😂.

/Johan

•••
Hi, and congrats on your first months' sales! I think any sales-profits in the first month is great.

You say $130 sales is "next to nothing", but I think there is a place for low-ticket, frequent sales. I would be quite happy with 20 sales of $100 domains earning me $2000 per month. In fact, I am going for $100-500 domains, on purpose, to start with.

Anyways, wish you the best with your future domain sales.

Thank you!
It is a good point!
Wonder whats more time consuming. Selling 20 one hundos or 1 big sale efter a lot of outbounding...

Im happy for everything now though 😁

•••
Well done on the sales. Makes me wonder why you would sell so low.
For me a great sale is better than a low one. You had one domain that I checked out and was interested in but I thought you would have sold it for much more.

I have rejected 4 high $$$$ offers and quite a few $ and $$ offers. A sad part of having a form on the sale pages is dealing with all the $3 offers etc.

Anyway it's easy to sell low but I am not in this to flip a few pennies.

HODL.

•••
Well done on the sales. Makes me wonder why you would sell so low.
For me a great sale is better than a low one. You had one domain that I checked out and was interested in but I thought you would have sold it for much more.

I have rejected 4 high $$$$ offers and quite a few $ and $$ offers. A sad part of having a form on the sale pages is dealing with all the $3 offers etc.

Anyway it's easy to sell low but I am not in this to flip a few pennies.

HODL.

I hear you! Right now Im interested in learning the buy/sell technicalities. As I get more experienced my patience will get better. But now its much about networking, get some good reviews and show that Im serious.

The big sales can come at a later point.

If you dont mind me asking, what domain where you interested in?

•••
•••
Great start @Dosebuy. Keep it rolling. Selling is not easy looks you have that ability. With time and experience, you will rock for sure.

Buying sellable assets is key. Once you master the art you will be unstoppable.

A few years ago I sold a domain for 3K. The next owner sold it for 12K in less than 6 months. The costly lesson I learnt is to have patience and hold the right things for a longer time. If you are in a hurry, we may miss the gold.

Keep it up.

•••
Great work Johan,

I also created some logos took about 5 minutes each well worth it.

I have to say, I'm also impressed by your 5-minute logo designs. Do you have like, mad graphic design skills, or is there a "5-minute logo design" tool that I don't know about? ;)

•••
Great start @Dosebuy. Keep it rolling. Selling is not easy looks you have that ability. With time and experience, you will rock for sure.

Buying sellable assets is key. Once you master the art you will be unstoppable.

A few years ago I sold a domain for 3K. The next owner sold it for 12K in less than 6 months. The costly lesson I learnt is to have patience and hold the right things for a longer time. If you are in a hurry, we may miss the gold.

Keep it up.

Wow, Im speechless. Thank you for your trust in me, haha. I will be suprised if I live up to the expactation.
Greatly appreciate the kind words though.

Thanks about the good tip and importance of patience. You seldon hear about those ”failures” (not that a 3k sell is a failure in anyway imo).

•••
I have to say, I'm also impressed by your 5-minute logo designs. Do you have like, mad graphic design skills, or is there a "5-minute logo design" tool that I don't know about? ;)

Yeah, those 5 minutes logos are insanely good. I could never pull that off! Good job!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back