Dynadot

advice First ever domain sale to a stranger - Buyer wants to use escrow.com and price is in the $XXX,XXX range - How to ensure I don't get scammed?

NameSilo
Watch

Samueldev

Impact
Pretty much title. I have a website (well, a game) that I have a buyer interested in purchasing for $XXX,XXX range. I've done a transaction like this in the past but it was with a company I knew and was friends with the leadership, so naturally there was zero risk of any scamming and no worries in that case. However this time this is with a random company without much of an online presence and we've been chatting via email only for a few weeks. Suffice it to say I am worried about the potential to get scammed/screwed and want to understand how best to avoid this possibility from the experts.

Is a site like escrow.com safe? What are the alternatives? What other protections should I have in place for a transaction of this size?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Pretty much title. I have a website (well, a game) that I have a buyer interested in purchasing for $XXX,XXX range. I've done a transaction like this in the past but it was with a company I knew and was friends with the leadership, so naturally there was zero risk of any scamming and no worries in that case. However this time this is with a random company without much of an online presence and we've been chatting via email only for a few weeks. Suffice it to say I am worried about the potential to get scammed/screwed and want to understand how best to avoid this possibility from the experts.

Is a site like escrow.com safe? What are the alternatives? What other protections should I have in place for a transaction of this size?
Escrow .com is the most trustworthy for such big transactions. Escrow.com is very safe, if not the safest.

•••
Upvote 0
Escrow.com is who you would want to use. The buyer will send the money first and escrow will hold it. You then transfer the domain/website to the buyer. Once that is confirmed the funds are released to you.

it all should be safe, just make sure you log into escrow.com to confirm any communications are authentic before you send anything.

•••
Upvote 0
You can confidently deal with strangers with Escrow.com

•••
Upvote 0
At Escrow.com- make sure it's a concierge transaction. It costs more, but it makes the procedure safer for you since the buyers can't claim to Escrow.com that you didn't transfer the domain to them. In a concierge transaction the domain is transferred to Escrow.com and they transfer it to the buyer.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Just make sure to login at Escrow for communication updates, and you're safe. Not through email or you're screwed.

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back