Dynadot

advice .family domain $1,600 renewal fee at hover.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

asxforum

Restricted (15-30%)
Impact
A friend has a .family domain with a yearly $1,600 renewal fee at hover.com . which is over the top , is there a way we could reduce the renew fee?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well think thats what happened here , the first year was a normal fee , then came the $1,600 renewal 12 months later . Will check on this .
Yes, it is essential that the autorenew does not happen. The registrar may claim that once renewed, it's not refundable from the registrar.
Hover, incidentally, can be especially quirky. I had domains that I had transferred months prior, and I still received renewal notices from them. They even stated that the domains were on autorenew. Fortunately, I confirmed that the domains had indeed been transferred. They still appeared on the Hover account as if they were still active, though. That was supposedly because they still keep the domain there as a placeholder.
In other words, your friend might not be surprised to still be seeing it in his account, even if he cancels it. If they treat cancelling domains like they treat transfers, It may take months for it fo finallly disappear. For my transfers, it still appeared as if nothing had happened. (Unlike other registrars, like GD, where it says deleted or cancelled.And, for transfers, the entire domain record is actually deleted) There was no delete domain button on Hover, the last time I checked.

•••
I paid $90 Au for one year renewal. I guess that is standard.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back