Dynadot

Fake PayPal claim after payment for CCNYS.COM domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dondomainer

domainnamescom.comTop Member
Impact
I will not beat around the bush, this is the real buyer information.

Buyer Name: Milton Silber
Buyer Email: [email protected]
Transaction Amount: $850.00 USD
Transaction Date: Sep 4, 2016

( Phone Number : 347-668-9186 )

Buyer's Address:
183 wilson st
Brooklyn , NY 11211
United States

Claim datail.

The buyer has filed a chargeback with his or her credit card company stating that the buyer did not authorize the payment.

The credit card company has reversed the payment, and we've placed a temporary hold on the funds while we review this case. If this transaction is covered by protection against unauthorized payments, we'll lift the temporary hold and restore the funds to your account. If the transaction is not eligible, we'll return the funds to the buyer or the rightful owner.

For this transaction to be covered by protection against unauthorized payments, please provide proof that you shipped the item through an approved shipper to the address on the Transaction Details page.

If the item is not a tangible good, this transaction is not eligible for protection against unauthorized payments. However, depending on the information you provide, we may be able to help you recover your funds by disputing the chargeback with the credit card company. Please provide us with information about your case. We'll let you know if we can dispute the chargeback with the credit card company.

---------

But what Mr Milton Silber forgets, is the reason of payment.

ccnys.png

Attachments

• ccnys.png
    ccnys.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 157
  • ccnys.png
    ccnys.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 136
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
sounds like you have something to rely on for your case!
not sure how he can prove he did not authorize this, if you can show screenshot of domain now sitting under his name. of course any of above can be argued to, but it's a solid start for you imo. gl.

as long as buyers use credit card, they can always file chargeback. it's not a paypal thing. it can happen with any service. including a godady sale etc. gd told me there are no guarantees when comes to chargeback. the only guarantee they can pretty much offer you is that they'll make sure you get your domain back (cause its on their registrar after sale). not sure about places like escrow, but I assume its same principle. problems are credit cards. be it through paypal or directly. then there is always chance of chargeback.

Last edited:
•••
sounds like you have something to rely on for your case!
not sure how he can prove he did not authorize this, if you can show screenshot of domain now sitting under his name. of course any of above can be argued to, but it's a solid start for you imo. gl.

as long as buyers use credit card, they can always file chargeback. it's not a paypal thing. it can happen with any service. including a godady sale etc. gd told me there are no guarantees when comes to chargeback. the only guarantee they can pretty much offer you is that they'll make sure you get your domain back (cause its on their registrar after sale). not sure about places like escrow, but I assume its same principle. problems are credit cards. be it through paypal or directly. then there is always chance of chargeback.

I think I have to prove anything because the payment was sent by the buyer. including reason.

However, I have the domain purchase receipts vs whois records and transfer information from namecheap record. (already requested and sent to my email "again" )

Last edited:
•••
I think I have to prove anything because the payment was sent by the buyer. including reason

as far as I know unauthorized payment reason like here (which he picked specifically when filing chargeback, among probably some other reasons form a list), refers to things like stolen card.. hacked paypal account.. or maybe some weird situation where a family member takes his card (son or what not) and uses it to buy something. of course we all know he's faking it here, cause you say so, but his credit card always takes his side. then goes from there.

in above cases, as you suspect, it has no importance what the name on paypal payment says.. if account hacked or stoelen card or son using it... and it does not matter what the note says cause any thief/hacker/son can put anything there.

this is my understanding of unauthorized payment meaning, but anyone is open to add to this or correct.

Last edited:
•••
as far as I know unauthorized payment reason like here, refers to things like stolen card.. hacked paypal account.. or maybe some weird situation where a family member takes his card (son or what not) and uses it to buy something. of course we all know he's faking it here, cause you say so, but his credit card always takes his side. then goes from there.

in above cases, as you suspect, it has no importance what the name on paypal payment says.. if account hacked or stoelen card or son using it... and it does not matter what the note says cause any thief/hacker/son can put anything there.

this is my understanding of unauthorized payment meaning, but anyone is open to add to this or correct.

After payment, the domain was transferred to godaddy which was placed behind a private whois and then like 17 days later this claim. hemm..

•••
After payment, the domain was transferred to godaddy which was placed behind a private whois and then like 17 days later this claim. hemm..

the point I made is that his credit card company does not know any of this and will always take his side. even a popular big sale platform like ebay you can get a credit card chargeback through paypal up to ~6 months after you ship item, buyer gets it.. and tracking# shows it as delivered. so its roughly the same idea here.

the bottom line is that his CC will always take his side. even if domain transfered, ebay item long delivered.. etc... the only limit CC puts on owner of card is pretty much is that 6 month or so deadline to file claim. at some point its just too late to file the claim.

one way to get around this I think (double check it) is taking a service payment instead of payment for goods. which a domain transfer essentially is anyway.. cause no shipping occurs, no physical goods involved.. maybe one day paypal makes a seperate category ezpecially for domain payments. who knows.

Last edited:
•••
the point I made is that his credit card company does not know any of this and will always take his side. even a popular big sale platform like ebay you can get a credit card chargeback through paypal up to ~6 months after you ship item, buyer gets it.. and tracking# shows it as delivered. so its roughly the same idea here.

the bottom line is that his CC will always take his side. even if domain transfered, ebay item long delivered.. etc... the only limit CC puts on owner of card is pretty much is that 6 month or so deadline to file claim. at some point its just too late to file the claim.

one way to get around this I think (double check it) is taking a service payment instead of payment for goods. which a domain transfer essentially is anyway.. cause no shipping occurs, no physical goods involved.. maybe one day paypal makes a seperate category ezpecially for domain payments. who knows.

So you say that, I can lose money and domain ?

•••
Send PayPal all the namecheap and Goddady transactions. Tell PayPal to verified this transfer transaction from both namecheap and Goddady.

•••
This transaction still needs to be verified; it might constitute to be a fraudulent claims from a credit card holder. He claimed reason for chargeback is "un Authorized charges". So it's important to communicate with namecheap and Google about this situation.

Last edited:
•••
So you say that, I can lose money and domain ?

like I Said before, I know a place like godaddy, when buyer buys from you there, and they check payment then release it then you tranasfer domain to buyer at goddady, then buyer files chargeback, gd cannot usually help they say, so the money goes back to buyer but they can guarantee you the domain back.

what happens in a situation like this for direct sale... I am not sure.. this is why I always prefer to complete sales on something like godaddy auctions.. then at least you get your domain back. chargebacks on a place like godaddy would also be much more rare than direct purchase chargebacks, cause anyone with godaddy account is right off bat a bit more serious domainer, and won't want to mess too much with godaddy, losing their gd account from chargebacks etc.. but for direct paypal payment... you can get just about anybody..

I do not really use escrow.com or other escrow type services so I cannot comment on it.. but I presume CC funded payments through those can also go through chargebacks... and since it wouldn't be a godady type situation where escrow has no way to recover domain, well, maybe there is chnce of losing both money and domain there.

all in all, I try to stick to godaddy auctions for all sales. I recommend same to all others.

I am sure others will offer you more insight here on best steps to follow. I am merely pointing out this has not much to do with your view of what happened or ours.. where we all here know this isn't right. it has to do with the view his cc company takes. and that's always in his defense. and then you esentially have to defend yourself against that and prove otherwise.

all the best!

Last edited:
•••
This is very harsh accusation from your end; you might be able to counter claims with this defamation of characters.

Last edited:
•••
I do not understand, who did a very harsh accusation ?

•••
fwiw, a whois check shows google as the registrar, not godaddy.

•••
Isn't that the person who did the chargedback told you "Un Authorized charges"

Last edited:
•••
•••
Call him, he answers if in fact it's him...

•••
Better stay away from unverified Paypal Users.

•••
I still don't understand why people still use paypal/cc for domain transaction ... you want to reduce fees but at the end you lose both domain and money ;)

•••
I have in my phone their incoming calls, and text messages, accepting the price and form of payment.

Next step, lifting a criminal complaint and contact Google for recovery the domain name. but I swear to god that will do the first time I'll get to the end of this.

And of course, experience learned, more than x amount, no more paypal.

Thanks to everyone for the tips, i will keep you informed.

Last edited:
•••
update

Paypal Say :

Is evident that this that this claim is an attempt to scam so we will dismiss this claim and also we will close the count of Mr Milton Silber.

From my side, I contacted to google [email protected] claiming misuse of their services .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One last detail from this guy :

The name, phone, email and address are real.

His accent was from India ( young voice ) and he said it was an student.

no other domain under [email protected]

•••
Just a comment about escrow.com, since a couple of people mentioned that. If they've paid you, they don't do a chargeback to you. It's almost the whole reason to use them in the first place. I do all my transactions with people I don't know, using escrow.com

•••
Paypal is every seller's nightmare for sales over $100, be careful! Use eCop.com next time! They offer paypal escrow!

•••
Paypal is every seller's nightmare for sales over $100, be careful! Use eCop.com next time! They offer paypal escrow!

Please explain why Escrow.com are a nightmare? And why to use eCop?

rgds
stu

•••
Please explain why they are a nightmare? And whyo to use eCop?

rgds
stu

I have never been able to win any chargeback scams. Both physical and virtual goods. Tracking number, pictures, screenshots, any proof possible... they don't care.

eCop is quick and easy for low $xxx to low $x,xxx sales. They do escrow just like escrow.com but unlike escrow.com they accept paypal from other countries than US and Canada.

•••
Just a comment about escrow.com, since a couple of people mentioned that. If they've paid you, they don't do a chargeback to you. It's almost the whole reason to use them in the first place. I do all my transactions with people I don't know, using escrow.com

oh.. I see what you mean.. so while the buyer may stil file CC chargeback .. they'll be pretty much filing it against escrow not you.. so it's like escrow seller protection.. when in case of chargeback, they pay from their own pocket. didn't think of it when I mentioned escrow and chargebacks. ty.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back