analysis Facebook rebrands to Meta

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Catch.club

Established Member
NameSilo Staff
Impact
It is either Facebook spending big money before making the rebrand official

https://www.thedomains.com/2021/10/...nd-someone-went-meta-crazy-on-facebook-names/

of some fellow domainer friend is gone bit nuts.

''MetaDating.net was registered at Dynadot two weeks ago and sold for $35,000 at Sedo. metaavatars.net. The name was 122 days old when it sold for $44,000 at DAN. MetaRooms.net sold for $30,000 on 9/28. Registered in 2021.'' but this more sounds like facebook spending money...

I do wonder if anyone at facebook realized that there is other source of ''meta'' domains also in pending delete list.

https://catch.club/account/place?watch=true&type=key&find=meta&mode=STARTS&tlds=com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Here @ NP are some of the smart a**** tricking members into buying domains @ 3rd party auctions (for less ... $100) and the domain(s) is usually the same as the request posted @ NP (f.e. looking for oneword.cctld or a weird ngtld extension, budget $2000)

Some (* not all) use sales strategies/tactics in order to get end-user/investor to buy anything meta...

If (if) MetaRooms. com is for sale - $1-2m
than MetaRooms .net can go for - $150k +

etc

Nowadays, buying is Marketing Tool.

@Reddstagg Meta .com > Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Sorry but that's also not right.
  1. I believe that it is the date that the domain came under new ownership that is usually used in UDRP, so if the domain was bought on your platform then that would be the important date, not the original registration date.

2. They registered their US trademark using priority rights from a Canadian mark that was registered 24th Aug 2017. This mark was filed in 2015 and they can still be using their unregistered mark in trade and be afforded protection without a registered mark, so protection probably predates even the filing date.

Show attachment 202823

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

cz.png

chanzuckerberg .com/about/letter-to-max/

•••
If they would rebrand the META it would make sense for them to buy up the relevant domains as once they go public with the brand, more people will be aware that meta domains are worth more.

And as Facebook did the brand change after the domain was registered, they would not win the UDRP neither, they would need to pay asking price.

Can you be so sure about that? Even if i owned something as generic as Social dot com and Facebook wanted it and opened a UDRP to get it, i wouldn't like to take them on.

Last edited:
•••
If this post doesn't age well, fair enough, let it be quoted 😅...

I don't think they're going to be calling their parent company META... meta.org is already a project that they have that they bought under their institute.

It's curious to me that the old owners of metaverse.com used the domain as the primary contact details until but March 2016 and then it got nuked and they switched to "metaversecorp.com" instead

upload_2021-10-27_13-24-46.png

https://web.archive.org/web/20160325192114/http://www.metaverse.com/contact-us/

If you own a company called Metaverse and you own Metaverse.com and then you all of a sudden stop using it but still use the same name, then you must have got a good deal for the name.

Also, Metaverse's website "fulcrumgallery.com" removed their link to metaverse.com on their 'about us' page around the same time.

I suspect that Facebook have got metaverse.com and that'll be at least part of the puzzle.

Last edited:
•••
If you own a company called Metaverse and you own Metaverse.com and then you all of a sudden stop using it but still use the same name, then you must have got a good deal for the name.

Also, Metaverse's website "fulcrumgallery.com" removed their link to metaverse.com on their 'about us' page around the same time.

I suspect that Facebook have got metaverse.com and that'll be at least part of the puzzle.

They still owned Metaverse dot com when they used the MetaverseCorp domain, they just redirected Metaverse dot com to MetaverseCorp and did so for about 3 years, i know this because i tried to buy Metaverse dot com a few times, offered a lot of money too, they never even replied.

I think they still own it personally, they've got trademarks on it and everything.

Last edited:
•••
If FACEBOOK, Inc. (parent company of facebook (social network website)) won't rebrand as META, Inc. (which is already a Zuckerberg company) at this time, they will rebrand as META another time, I am sure (simply because META is the most logical umbrella name for all of their business fields, it is actually a nobrainer).

Mark Zuckerberg, in case you read this comment and still not sure which name you should choose:

Choose META, thank me later :xf.cool:

•••
They still owned Metaverse dot com when they used the MetaverseCorp domain, they just redirected Metaverse dot com to MetaverseCorp and did so for about 3 years, i know this because i tried to buy Metaverse dot com a few times, offered a lot of money too, they never even replied.

I think they still own it personally, they've got trademarks on it and everything.
Damn... I come to Namepros to read shit like this!! We're going to get an answer in one day it seems

•••

I suppose the question is what made them switch from one to the other? It's not completely infeasible that they could have got a good deal for the name including an agreed period of time where they redirected one to another.

The domain is with markmonitor, that's a registrar that Facebook use as well as their own.

They still own metaverse.cc by the looks of things.

Last edited:
•••
If Facebook turned into "Foxtrot", I'm a fan

•••
•••
Meta.com is up now!
Redirects to fb

Last edited:
•••
Here @ NP are some of the smart a**** tricking members into buying domains @ 3rd party auctions (for less ... $100) and the domain(s) is usually the same as the request posted @ NP (f.e. looking for oneword.cctld or a weird ngtld extension, budget $2000)

Some (* not all) use sales strategies/tactics in order to get end-user/investor to buy anything meta...

If (if) MetaRooms. com is for sale - $1-2m
than MetaRooms .net can go for - $150k +

etc

Nowadays, buying is Marketing Tool.

@Reddstagg Meta .com > Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative

Regards

indeed, .net goes for 10% of .com price and country or ntld can be as low as 1% of the .com price. @DomainSherpa

•••
•••
•••
fb now is.about meta

like always some domainers will benefit most wont.

it's always same story..combo of.vision..luck..timing..

there is millions domainers and only few meta.extrnsion names

so of course the profit makers will be an infinitely tiny %

I too sold meta,one few yrs.back for 5k

who knew.

now new owner might get 6fig.
5fig easy

sold metaverse.,one few months back 20k
..now prolly new owner get few times this

who knew.

done is done. dont waste yer life on coulda shoulda

•••
We have seen domains sold for 6 digit USD while domain age, length, keyword being no indication of high price. It probably would not have even picked up by other domainer investor on expired auction. But the buyer wanted to upgrade from ccTLD to .com and had deep enough pockets...

Last edited:
•••
•••
Facebook will never rebrand.
Even I do not agree to the saying "never say never" in general (aside the fact that it is anyhow an oxymoron / paradoxon), I believe we never should say "never" about things we just don't know.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back