analysis Facebook rebrands to Meta

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Catch.club

Established Member
NameSilo Staff
Impact
It is either Facebook spending big money before making the rebrand official

https://www.thedomains.com/2021/10/...nd-someone-went-meta-crazy-on-facebook-names/

of some fellow domainer friend is gone bit nuts.

''MetaDating.net was registered at Dynadot two weeks ago and sold for $35,000 at Sedo. metaavatars.net. The name was 122 days old when it sold for $44,000 at DAN. MetaRooms.net sold for $30,000 on 9/28. Registered in 2021.'' but this more sounds like facebook spending money...

I do wonder if anyone at facebook realized that there is other source of ''meta'' domains also in pending delete list.

https://catch.club/account/place?watch=true&type=key&find=meta&mode=STARTS&tlds=com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
hard to say, on one hand if it's Facebook, it makes sense as defensive regs, though highly doubt they would rebrand as "Metafacebook", maybe "Meta".

on the other hand, if it's a fellow domainer, wouldn't those be wasted regged as they would be clearly infringing on Facebook trademark?

•••
probably they are doing what google did with Alphabet. Facebook will be only one of the brands and if it goes down the drain, then Meta won't be that affected.

I imagine someone at Facebook sitting at his PC and buying up those worthless domains for high price for defensive reasons.

- Here you have 10 mil USD, spend it! - said Zuckerberg...

•••
probably they are doing what google did with Alphabet. Facebook will be only one of the brands and if it goes down the drain, then Meta won't be that affected.

I imagine someone at Facebook sitting at his PC and buying up those worthless domains for high price for defensive reasons.

If Fb is buying for defensive reasons , then they should consider .com versions first right ? I dont think Fb is behind these Sales.

•••
I think someone with basic domaining skills just buying up anything containing ''meta''... what other reason would be buying a 2 weeks old .net domain?

•••
That's some pretty bad names to go after if it's Facebook. I suspect that they'll be called something completely unpredictable...

•••

I think its a bit rude to say worthless domains. Some of those “worthless” domains have been sold by people here. Are there many low caliber meta names regged? Sure. But the ones that have actually sold for the most part are decent keywords.

Last edited:
•••
I think its a bit rude to say worthless domains. Some of those “worthless” domains have been sold by people here. Are there many low caliber meta names regged? Sure. But the ones that have actually sold for the most part are decent keywords.

I am sure many domains indeed have value, it was not meant to be rude, sorry about that. It is great that many fellow domain investors are able to make some nice margin from Facebook rebrand.

•••
probably they are doing what google did with Alphabet. Facebook will be only one of the brands and if it ...
Facebook, Inc. (FACEBOOK), the parent company of Facebook (facebook), the social network website, will rebrand (yes *, most probably * to META *) while Facebook (facebook (the social network website)) will remain as Facebook (facebook (the social network website)).

* but who knows, currently this knowledge is beyond meta and xyz

•••
•••
So vomit in your VR helmet with Karen cringe.

•••
•••
•••
If Fb is buying for defensive reasons , then they should consider .com versions first right ? I dont think Fb is behind these Sales.

well if FB owns metafacebook.com, then there are no other .coms and they'd be regging all the other tlds for defensive reasons. But it doesn't seem to be the same registry owners

•••
If Fb rebrand to Meta, does that mean all "meta" names, due to fb's trademark, must be removed and disabled?

remember several years ago when Pokémon GO just launched, domainers registered huge number of Pokemon names. But later realized the trademark infringement issues- that you have to give up what you invested.

? what do you say

Last edited:
•••

Same here, I don't think FB is behind these sales. And, while I'm hoping they will, I strongly doubt they'll name their umbrella brand "Meta" (or any of the other "MV" versions). Anyway, the recent sales have been exciting. I'm happy for domainers that have been cashing out!

•••
I'm happy for domainers that have been cashing out! -> indeed nice payday

•••
If they would rebrand the META it would make sense for them to buy up the relevant domains as once they go public with the brand, more people will be aware that meta domains are worth more.

And as Facebook did the brand change after the domain was registered, they would not win the UDRP neither, they would need to pay asking price.

•••
•••
Good morning.

I was under the impression that FB already own Meta.com and it is in some way associated with the Zuckerberg/Chan charitable trust.

Maybe someone who knows how to check can check this.

Rgrds,

Reddstagg

•••
Good morning.

I was under the impression that FB already own Meta.com and it is in some way associated with the Zuckerberg/Chan charitable trust.

Maybe someone who knows how to check can check this.

Rgrds,

Reddstagg

question is if facebook registered the trademark ''meta'' already or not.

My guess they did/could not so they are buying up domains so less domain left to fight over in the future.

•••
I'm happy for domainers that have been cashing out! -> indeed nice payday

If they would rebrand the META it would make sense for them to buy up the relevant domains as once they go public with the brand, more people will be aware that meta domains are worth more.

And as Facebook did the brand change after the domain was registered, they would not win the UDRP neither, they would need to pay asking price.
question is if facebook registered the trademark ''meta'' already or not.

My guess they did/could not so they are buying up domains so less domain left to fight over in the future.
You're not serious... please...

Secondly, their trademark is here:

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86852664&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

https://trademarks.justia.com/868/52/meta-86852664.html

Screenshots:
Screenshot_2021-10-27-10-28-58-027_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_2021-10-27-10-31-49-138_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for posting this. So domains registered before 2018 can be a nice target, anything after this date probably can be snapped with UDRP.

•••
It is either Facebook spending big money before making the rebrand official

https://www.thedomains.com/2021/10/...nd-someone-went-meta-crazy-on-facebook-names/

of some fellow domainer friend is gone bit nuts.

''MetaDating.net was registered at Dynadot two weeks ago and sold for $35,000 at Sedo. metaavatars.net. The name was 122 days old when it sold for $44,000 at DAN. MetaRooms.net sold for $30,000 on 9/28. Registered in 2021.'' but this more sounds like facebook spending money...

I do wonder if anyone at facebook realized that there is other source of ''meta'' domains also in pending delete list.

https://catch.club/account/place?watch=true&type=key&find=meta&mode=STARTS&tlds=com

Facebook will never rebrand.

this is just not first nor last domainer who is clueless and wastng money.

•••
Thanks for posting this. So domains registered before 2018 can be a nice target, anything after this date probably can be snapped with UDRP.
Sorry but that's also not right.
  1. I believe that it is the date that the domain came under new ownership that is usually used in UDRP, so if the domain was bought on your platform then that would be the important date, not the original registration date.

2. They registered their US trademark using priority rights from a Canadian mark that was registered 24th Aug 2017. This mark was filed in 2015 and they can still be using their unregistered mark in trade and be afforded protection without a registered mark, so protection probably predates even the filing date.

upload_2021-10-27_11-32-40.png

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

•••
Back